Become a Patron!

Dual Parallel Coil Builds

I was making a few parallel coils. I inadvertently got 3 wraps on one and 4 wraps on the other.
I have been curious for awhile, in a dual build, must the coils be the same amount of wraps on both sides?
What if you want 4 wraps on 1 and 6 on the other?
Im using a regulated mod.

The only down side I can think of is if one coil is really smaller than the other it might overheat if too much power is applied.

Thank you for any advice on this.

fratervapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Interesting question. While the total resistance is calculable by hand but the mod is probably showing you that anyhow.

My instinct is that multicoil builds are always have variation and this is just an extreme case. I'd back the power down to minimum and watch the cotton on both as you ramp up power (hopefully this is an RDA where you can watch). I do think the 3-wrap will heat up first but if there are any EEs in the wings they can disabuse me of my confusion.

Thanks Fratervapor,
I just meant dual coils, not multi. Just something like 4 wraps on one coil, 6 on the other.
That's a good idea to ramp up the power and watch what happens. I use a Velocity rda, so that would be easy to do and I will give it a try!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They need to be the same number of wraps so they heat as evenly as possible, otherwise you diminish the flavor and will most likely get spitback.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I disagree. They can be 2 entirely different coils, so long as they both ohm out the same. You can have a .5Ω Clapton on one side, and a .5Ω Parallel on the other. You can have a .3Ω Fused Clapton, and a .3Ω Micro Coil. You can have whatever combination of coils you want, as long as both coils are the same ohm, they will both fire and glow evenly (although they may not perform evenly, obviously a Fused Clapton will perform better than a simple micro).

Here's a build I've been using for the past 1.5 weeks, just after a re-wick. 2 different Fused Claptons, both using different gauges and different wraps, but both ohm out the same, so they both fire evenly, and in a beautiful harmony (larger gauge FC for density, and the smaller gauge FC for flavor)

Hybrid Coils.png

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ive accidentally wrapped one extra wrap on one coil and had them offset in resistance value, the one with less wraps will heat up faster then the other...thats about it...

Thank you I DED420,
That's an awesome build! Good info to know too. I will keep that in mind and do some experimenting!
Thanks for the pic too

Thank you raymo2u

I was wondering if that would be how it would work out! I kinda wish I would have just gone ahead and used the 2 coils I made anyways, as there was only a difference of one wrap.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thank you I DED420,
That's an awesome build! Good info to know too. I will keep that in mind and do some experimenting!
Thanks for the pic too

Thank you raymo2u

I was wondering if that would be how it would work out! I kinda wish I would have just gone ahead and used the 2 coils I made anyways, as there was only a difference of one wrap.
You could of just removed the extra wrap and had them match if it was an issue, just place the coil on the same sized bit and pull one lead and it will unravel-keep pulling until you remove one wrap

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
+1 to @DED420. So long as the coils have the same resistance, the mod will apply the same current, thus the same watts, to both. Note, however, applying the same watts to both coils will not heat them evenly-- rather in the same amount of ramp time-- if one is more massive than the other; and the surface heat flux of the coils will vary if one has a greater surface area than the other.

It is important to build your coils so the resistance is as closely balanced as possible. When using parallel resistances, the total resistance is half the value of both, but each path carries an inverse proportion of the current to their percentage of the total. Thus, if you have two 1Ω coils in parallel and are firing them at 50 watts, the total resistance of the assembly is .5Ω, and each coil carries half of the current and thus produces 25 watts. If you have a mismatched set of coils that also sum to .5Ω, where one coil is 90% or the resistance and the other 10%, it will still total .5Ω, but the small coil will carry 90% of the current and make 45 watts, while the big one will carry 10% of the current and make 5 watts.

Get 'em even. It's easier that way.

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
If anybody is interested in how to calculate the total resistance value for parallel resistors...

Multiple, non-equal resistances in parallel:
1 / Σ (1 / Ri) for each resistance where i = 1-n

Multiple equal resistances in parallel:
(Σ Ri) / n for each resistance where i = 1-n

Any pair of resistors:
(R1 x R2) / (R1 + R2)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If anybody is interested in how to calculate the total resistance value for parallel resistors...

Multiple, non-equal resistances in parallel:
1 / Σ (1 / Ri) for each resistance where i = 1-n

Multiple equal resistances in parallel:
(Σ Ri) / n for each resistance where i = 1-n

Any pair of resistors:
(R1 x R2) / (R1 + R2)
I cant figure out where the Square lookin thingy goes....I need my red hammer to knock these blocks in ;)
520a846c7ee14_30523n.jpg

VU Sponsors