Become a Patron!

Dumb question about Clapton wire

Debbiej

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just getting into the temp control. I know the ss claptons work great. I have a spool of 36k/26n. The n is nickel right? Since it's the base wire, mod will read it correctly in nickel setting for temp control right?

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That may be a nichrome core and kanthal wrap.

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have the same question as OP.. if the core is a tc wire but the wrap kanthal or nich.. can you use the tc setting based on the core?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Debbiej

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought mine at Lightning vapes. A spool..........it was a mistake in order but thought why not try it........so........my original order was suppose to be kanthal/kanthal Clapton. I'm thinking you can use in TC mode but may have slower or cooler temp than normal. Just need to increase temp to compensate for the kanthal slowing it down. Looking I think the "N" is for nichrome since that is what they use to wrap. I've been using this way and it seems to do fine. Have a hard time with steam engine. The numbers are off. I'm sure It's a user error.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Generally, nickel will be extremely low-resistance... ...like, on the order of 10 times lower than the nichrome equivalent. If it's a good sized coil under or just barely approaching .1, then it's definitely nickel. If you can fire it in power mode, then compare the resistance at room temp to the resistance after firing. It's gonna jump quite a lot if it's nickel. Nichrome, not so much, if at all. Maybe +/- .05-.1 ohms.

Anyway... ...yes, you can clapton non-tc wire around nickel. I've always done it that way because plain nickel doesn't do it for me. It has no oomf and one-note flavor imo. Plus, it allows you to do what is essentially a contact coil without having your readings all messed up or frying the wire.

It will still read correctly enough to work (sometimes a negligible amount higher, but usually the same as bare.) Realistically, the outer wrap has such a high resistance compared to the super-conductive core that 98% of the current is gonna go straight to the nickel core, anyway. We're talking double-digit ohms for the outer, so at vaping voltages, it's extra hundredths to thousandths of a watt per volt with that outer wire. Low enough to be considered non-conductive. If it was pulling significant power, you would see the resistance lower (such as with twisted or parallel.) Instead, it may increase by a just barely measurable amount because the outer wrap weakens the connection inside the post.

TC works by comparing the room temperature resistance against the operating one. It follows the TCR curve of the nickel, which increases linearly... ...as in, regardless of the starting resistance, it always increases at the same rate. So even if the resistance is higher than a nickel wire of that length usually would be, it still follows the same resistance curve. The numbers get shifted up in step with the base resistance. The kanthal makes no difference - it just slows the heating down.

Last edited:

Debbiej

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanx Zombie, I was hoping to get a reply from you. How do you know so much about this stuff? Is it your trade? Or a hobby, or both?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanx Zombie, I was hoping to get a reply from you. How do you know so much about this stuff? Is it your trade? Or a hobby, or both?
Just a hobby. This is a leisurely activity for me. I have an interest in very few things in this world, but I tend to be very obsessed with that small sphere of things. Vaping's kinda just one of those things. Over these past few years, I've put in a lot of time pondering, experimenting, reading, discussing - mostly just for the sake of doing it, really... ...I like trying to figure out how things work. I'm drawn to whatever gets the problem-solving gears turning.

Honestly, most of what I know is the product of simple logic and rigor - just making connections, testing them out, and seeking out the missing information by whatever means I have. Anybody can do it. I just do more of that than I gather most people do. That's really all it comes down to.

If you want to learn about something badly enough, you will eventually wind up with a lot of knowledge without realizing it, yanno? That mindset has the power to elevate a person beyond what they can conceive. You don't do it to have the knowledge - that's not really something that occurs to me often. Knowing that I know something doesn't satisfy me. I'm more interested in what I don't know. It's about the pursuit. That's my only motivation in this.

I simply like learning and sharing in that experience with people. This place is convenient for me, as I get to indulge in this obsession quite a lot and help people out in the process! :p

VU Sponsors