Dune Director Denis Villeneuve's Next Sci-Fi Adaptation Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
In addition to working on Dune Part 2, we've now learned that Dune Director Denis Villeneuve's next film will take him to the sci-fi world of Rendezvous With Rama.

Rendezvous With Rama is a 1973 sci-fi novel by Arthur C. Clarke, and it centers on a group of explorers who intercept and explore an alien spaceship. Villeneuve has explored alien contact in the past with his movie, Arrival, and will likely bring his grand-scale vision of sci-fi here as well.

The novel won both Hugo and Nebula awards when it was released, two awards that recognize outstanding works of science fiction. Clarke is best known for penning the screenplay and novel for 2001: A Space Odyssey. THR reported on the adaptation and revealed Morgan Freeman will work with Villeneuve on the project as a producer.

There's no word on the timeline for this project, but we know that Villeneuve also has his hands full with Dune Part 2, which is scheduled for October 2023. Villeneuve said the sequel will start filming in July 2022, and that the script is currently in the works.

In IGN's Dune review, we called the first installment "beautiful to behold," but held back by a lot of set-up and no natural ending point. The second half of this story will possibly fix some of these issues.

Villeneuve has also publicly said he wants to direct a James Bond film, saying, "it's a character that I've been with since my childhood. I have massive affection for Bond." However, the director also said he thinks it'd be hard to reboot the series after the Daniel Craig era.

Logan Plant is a freelance writer for IGN. You can find him on Twitter @LoganJPlant.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors