Dune Part 2: All Javier Bardem Wants Is To Ride a Sandworm

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
All Javier Bardem wants in the world is to ride a sandworm. Fresh off his turn as Desi Arnaz in Being the Ricardos, Bardem talked to Deadline about his hopes for Dune: Part 2, where he is set to reprise the role of Stilgar, the blue-eyed Fremen warrior.

Specifically, Bardem talks about how he hopes he gets to ride one of the massive sand beasts in the forthcoming sequel. He even says he asked director Denis Villeneuve if he can make it happen.

Bardem is quick to point out that there's precedent in the series for Stilgar riding a sandworm.

"[Denis Villeneuve] told me he's going to try to make that happen. That does happen in the book, by the way. Stilgar teaches Paul [Atreides] how to take the desert power, which is to domesticate those huge animals in order to use their force, their strength, and their huge size against the Harkonnen. Hopefully, that will happen," Bardem says.

In the Dune books and the movies, sandworms are enormous predators who emerge from the sand to devour travelers and even whole books. A Fremen is spotted riding a sandworm at one point in the movie, but only for a moment. Who knows, Bardem may well get his wish.

In the meantime, Bardem says he remains in the dark about the direction of the planned sequel.

"I haven’t read anything yet, so I’m not sure what's coming up next for me in 'Dune.' I know as much as you do at this point. I hear there are scripts but I haven’t read anything," Badem says. "I cannot wait to put myself into the hands of Denis Villeneuve again. I love the guy."

Dune: Part 2 was officially announced back in October, not long after the release of the first movie. It is currently slated for release in Fall 2023. While you wait, check out our explainer on what to expect from the sequel.

Kat Bailey is a Senior News Editor at IGN

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors