Dune: Part Two Scheduled To Start Filming Later This Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Denis Villeneuve has confirmed the Dune: Part Two script is written, and the sequel is set to enter production "by the end of summer."

The filmmaker recently sat down with Empire to discuss the development of Dune: Part Two, the recently-confirmed second film in Villeneuve's adaptation of Frank Herbert's sci-fi novel. He revealed that the sequel's script is now complete and that plans are in motion to start filming the movie later this summer, a year before it's set to premiere exclusively in theaters.

"We are supposed to shoot by the end of the summer," Villeneuve confirmed. "I will say it is mostly designed. The thing that helps us right now is that it's the first time I've revisited a universe. So I'm working with the same crew, everybody knows what to do, we know what it will look like. The movie will be more challenging, but we know where we are stepping. And the screenplay is written. So I feel confident. Frankly, the only big unknown for me right now is the pandemic."

Dune was always set up as a multi-part saga but there were concerns that a high-concept sci-fi movie like Dune might not gain the kind of audience that would justify multiple movies. The film's performance at the box office said otherwise, proving there was a theatrical draw, which opened the door for Villenueve to expand the world further in another installment.

"I want to have more flexibility, and it will be possible to go a little bit deeper into some of these details. It's like a chess game. Some new characters will be introduced in the second part and a decision I made very early on was that this first part would be more about Paul Atreides and the Bene Gesserit, and his experience of being in contact for the first time with a different culture," Villeneuve explained. "Second part, there will be much more Harkonnen stuff."

Dune: Part One ended with Paul Atreides and his mother Jessica finally linking up with the Fremen, setting up an obvious second film. Check out IGN's explainer on what to expect from Dune: Part 2, including which characters may return, which new characters are likely to be introduced, and even possible romantic entanglements for primary characters.

Adele Ankers-Range is a freelance writer for IGN. Follow her on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors