Become a Patron!

Efest vs Nitcore chargers

Aeneas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i have an efest slim k2, whould for example a more expencive charger like
NiteCore IntelliCharger New i2 charge the batteries faaster or have any other advantage that really matters other than more indications ? and also is it okay to charge the batteries in the charger that is connected with the usb cable that came with it plugged in my pc instead of wall plug ? what kind of wall plug u reccomend ? i use authentic sony vtc4

SavageCheef

Member For 1 Year
I am not familiar with this model of Efest chargers as it is not one that is carried where I work. For starters the Nitecore I2 can only charge 1 battery at 1A and two batteries at .5A, while the Efest chargers can charge at a faster rate with two or more batteries depending on model ( Efest LUC V4 can only charge two batteries at 2A, V2 only has a .5A and a 1A charging rate)
Personally I don't ever charge my batteries above .5A, but that's my preference to get a longer life out of my batteries.

It is fine to charge them with the plug that came with the vape, (also something I personally would never do) however don't use a random plug without checking the Amp rating of the adapter.

Last edited:

SavageCheef

Member For 1 Year
You shouldn't be using your PC for charging batteries. You are better off using a wall outlet. I read a thread a while back how someone fried their freinds laptop charging a device of some kind.

Ooops I must've missed that line in my reply, charging from a PC is not advised as the current is not necessarily known. (Unless of course you know the output per USB slot in the computer you are using, alas I would still not advise that.)

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I had an efest and an Xtar, now I have a Nitecore I2 I don't like at all. Feels just as cheaply made as my old Efest, and only charges two batteries at 0.5A each.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have a Nitecore and an eNook charger both do the job I require. I also charge by USB/MOD in any one of 8 PC Workstations all the time and even plug the eNook into a PC as a power source. In my opinion being in IT there is absolutely no reason to not use the USB Ports.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ooops I must've missed that line in my reply, charging from a PC is not advised as the current is not necessarily known. (Unless of course you know the output per USB slot in the computer you are using, alas I would still not advise that.)
Yep if the charger needs a USB power source use only a good 2+ amp adapter.
You can damage your computer using it for that.
NEVER use your computer to charge a mod or batteries.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yep if the charger needs a USB power source use only a good 2+ amp adapter.
You can damage your computer using it for that.
NEVER use your computer to charge a mod or batteries.

This may be good advice for either very old or defective vape gear, or very old or defective computers, but in general Steve is correct.

I would actually trust a well-known PC USB port to deliver its specified current than a cheap gas-station Chinese wall wart

For your edification!
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ks-or-how-to-avoid-blowing-up-your-smartphone

rxmilitia

Member For 4 Years
I would be terrified to charge my batteries with my computer.

Maybe if it was an old clunker pc. But I don’t see the point as most chargers will come with wall plugs.

I own both efest and nitecore.

My nitecore is 2+ years old and still kicking (4 battery) but it does feel cheap and charges slowly. My efest is a 2 battery charger and feels sturdy. But it doesn’t show the same data that the nitecore does. Aka it just shows me that it’s fully charged, No voltage data.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This may be good advice for either very old or defective vape gear, or very old or defective computers, but in general Steve is correct.
I would actually trust a well-known PC USB port to deliver its specified current than a cheap gas-station Chinese wall wart
For your edification!
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...ks-or-how-to-avoid-blowing-up-your-smartphone

And people who say not to also recommend a good 2A charger not knowing if the device is actually able to be used with a 2A wall wart. Some devices will get damaged when plugged into a 2A when designed for only 1A or .5A.

SavageCheef

Member For 1 Year
I have a Nitecore and an eNook charger both do the job I require. I also charge by USB/MOD in any one of 8 PC Workstations all the time and even plug the eNook into a PC as a power source. In my opinion being in IT there is absolutely no reason to not use the USB Ports.
Just because it's there to be used doesn't mean you should plug it into your computer without knowing the output of the USB slot in your computer it's really not worth the risk.
You can buy a charger for less than $20, but to each is their own.

SavageCheef

Member For 1 Year
And people who say not to also recommend a good 2A charger not knowing if the device is actually able to be used with a 2A wall wart. Some devices will get damaged when plugged into a 2A when designed for only 1A or .5A.

Percisely, which is why it's never something I'd tell someone to do. Just buy a charger and an extra set of batteries. Much less to worry about compared to frying your computer or device.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I have an old as balls Nitecore i4, and a newer 2 bay efest c2. Not sure on specs, but noticeable differences are as follows: efest charges faster and accepts 20700’s where the i4 does not, but the i4 has been kicking for years so I can’t knock it. The efest is my Work charger and the i4 4 bay is for home.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So basically what I said? Don't do it because you don't know what's actually on the inside.

You do not sound like you know how the USB POrts in a PC work. Click on the links and do some reading. PC USB Ports are designed to provide power to Printers and Scanners along with Cameras and many other devices. Ever see a receipt printer most are powered by USB Ports.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i had a nitecore i4 and it seemed well made. but after about 17 months I accidentally put batteries in backwards and didn't realize it for about 20 minutes when I smelled it, the reverse battery protection failed. the 2 slots were useless. The reverse battery protection used to work but didn't that time. I now have 2 efest luc v6 one the cat puked in while it was charging. It was giving me problems for a few months before that, like not detecting batteries in certain slots. BUt I opened it up, cleaned every contact and now it works like new again and its about 16 months old. I bought a new one to use for a few weeks between the cat puke and me cleaning the entire charger out. Now it sits there because I don't have a need to charge 12 batteries at once. The old one is working perfectly. It shows voltage and that is enough for me.

IMHO both the efest and nitecore are made about the same quality which is sufficient but not great. the sliding contacts get stuck occasionally and don't always move smoothly. BUt for about $25 bucks they do the job

Last edited:

SavageCheef

Member For 1 Year
You do not sound like you know how the USB POrts in a PC work. Click on the links and do some reading. PC USB Ports are designed to provide power to Printers and Scanners along with Cameras and many other devices. Ever see a receipt printer most are powered by USB Ports.

I have never seen a computer printer nor a scanner that is powered by a computer. My "basically what I said" statement was about NOT charging your devices via USB through a computer.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

SavageCheef

Member For 1 Year
I guess just because you have never seen it or worked with them they don't exist?

I never said they don't exist, which obviously they do. But the link you shared says that different USB ports have different ratings, therefore making my advisement to not use a USB port to charge a device without knowing the rating the correct advice.
I wouldn't sit here and advise someone to charge any device, most especially not any batteries via USB.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't sit here and advise someone to charge any device, most especially not any batteries via USB.

Good for you but I stand by what I said and since you can only say it is your opinion and have nothing else to back it up drop it. I have a 42U Network rack sitting next to me here and I will use any of the 40 plus USB Ports to charge my devices or power equipment.

SavageCheef

Member For 1 Year
Good for you but I stand by what I said and since you can only say it is your opinion and have nothing else to back it up drop it. I have a 42U Network rack sitting next to me here and I will use any of the 40 plus USB Ports to charge my devices or power equipment.

Yes, but YOU KNOW THE RATING OF THEM. I'm not going to tell someone to plug a device in without telling them TO CHECK THE RATING AS I ADVISED HIM TO DO BEFORE CHARGING ANYTHING THAT WAY.

Maybe read what I said before trying to jump down my throat about something.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Maybe stop quoting people and getting so upset you can't type. If you didn't quote me I would not even have addressed what you commented but you quoted me.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
oh I will also say this about my nitecore. It did not charge to 4.2V I learned this when I got mods that read the battery voltage. They wold read the batteries at 4.0-4.1 after a full charge on the nitecore. BUt the same batteries on the same mods after using the efest luc v6 would read at 4.18-4.2

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I found with my Nitecore it either times out or shuts down because of temperature. Reinstalling the cells allows them to continue charging to 100%.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Your batteries will last longer if not charged all the way to 4.2 volts.
by how many charge cycles??
at the price of a new battery and since most of my batteries have lasted me a couple years or more and still do not need replaced, I am curious to know how much more life I could get from not charging to 4.2V and if that would actually create any significant savings over the decades.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
late-autonomy-bodynamic.jpg

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Depends on how hard you push your batteries as to how many more charge cycles you will get.
Mooch recommends not charging to 4.2 for longer battery life.
Episode 6 I think deals with that topic.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCePHh3NMvu3rW2LFJeOWo-Q
I havent gotten to episode 5 and 6 yet.
Have to remember to watch them.
I have no doubt to the accuracy of the statement. I also understand there are a lot of variables to discuss when dealing with battery life and performance. Im just curious if doing things "by the book" or "per recommendations" makes a significant difference. I mean lets say doing everything perfectly makes a battery last 10 years but what I do make sit last 5 years. Once could argue that thats a significant price difference over the cost of 2 decades. But if its 3 years versus 2.5 years -- not so much of a difference. and one could even say, if I am making a $5-6 battery last 5 years thats long enough.
WHy I get curious is the batteries I have now are all different ages, but my oldest in use set is about 3 years old or more. It works as well as ones I bought about a year ago. I do not do anything special with my batteries. I use them until they are low, usually 2.8-3.3v recharge them on my charger and never really pay attention.Keep them in plastic cases when I travel with them. I only vape around 50 watts on .7ish builds. I rewrap them when they need it.
That's it. So is there a need to worry about doing anything else to expect any serious difference in battery life when I have batteries lasting about 3 years or more already?

I could see it possibly being more important if I was a super sub ohm mech user, who is recharging batteries much more often.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I would spend the extra $10 bucks and get an amazingly good charger, that's normally $50-79.
I own that one for nearly a year ( not purchased from the link imma provide at the bottom) and it never failed me. Charging up to 4 batteries is a huge plus in my book and it charges at a much quicker pace than the others I owned prior. Also the doctor or battery recovery feature is something I wanted. So whatever you decide and as others mentioned don't use your PC for that lol.

Here's the link to the charger I have Hohm Base.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have an old as balls Nitecore i4, and a newer 2 bay efest c2. Not sure on specs, but noticeable differences are as follows: efest charges faster and accepts 20700’s where the i4 does not, but the i4 has been kicking for years so I can’t knock it. The efest is my Work charger and the i4 4 bay is for home.
My Nitecore NEW i4 is fully compatible with 20700 batteries. It's charging a pair of my iJoy 5-legged 30 amp 3000 mAh 20700 batteries as I'm typing this... "priority charging" (i.e. charging at 1.5 amps) can be toggled on/off for each individual channel that's in use, albeit priority charging multiple channels at once is not supported, and, priority charging is automatically turned on by default after only a single channel is/remains in use. I kind of like the simplicity of this charger... it having less bells and whistles also means it has less parts in it that can break. I also own the 2016 version of the Nitecore D4. I haven't experienced any trouble with either my NEW i4 or my D4, but I like the idea of having 2 separate chargers on hand because no matter what, chargers don't usually last forever.

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My Nitecore NEW i4 is fully compatible with 20700 batteries. It's charging a pair of my iJoy 5-legged 30 amp 3000 mAh 20700 batteries as I'm typing this... "priority charging" (i.e. charging at 1.5 amps) can be toggled on/off for each individual channel that's in use, albeit priority charging multiple channels at once is not supported, and, priority charging is automatically turned on by default after only a single channel is/remains in use. I kind of like the simplicity of this charger... it having less bells and whistles also means it has less parts in it that can break. I also own the 2016 version of the Nitecore D4. I haven't experienced any trouble with either my NEW i4 or my D4, but I like the idea of having 2 separate chargers on hand because no matter what, chargers don't usually last forever.
Good to know the new ones accept 20700. Mines been going since 2012, I just keep the cat hair blowed out of it every so often so it can properly cool itself lol.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good to know the new ones accept 20700. Mines been going since 2012, I just keep the cat hair blowed out of it every so often so it can properly cool itself lol.
The NEW i4 runs noticeably cooler compared to the older models by Nitecore. In addition, the contacts and the spring brackets are designed much better now... AND the bottom base in bays 1 and 4 is designed in such a way that it is now possible to charge 26650 in bays 1 and 4 without the 26650 blocking (i.e. overhanging too far in the direction of) bay 2 or 3.

VU Sponsors