Eternals Will Have a 'Very Big Effect' on the MCU's Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Eternals director Chloé Zhao has said the forthcoming film will have "a very big effect" on the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

In a recent interview with Total Film, Zhao hinted at the importance of her upcoming Marvel blockbuster, which tells the story of a race of immortal beings with superhuman powers who have secretly lived on Earth for thousands of years. She noted how the self-contained film may leave a lasting impression on the MCU in the aftermath of its release this November.

"I think we stand alone as a film for sure," the Oscar-winning filmmaker stated before touching on the anticipated impact that her Eternals movie will have on the wider MCU. "But I do think we will have a very big effect on the future of the MCU with what happens in this film. Which, you know, as a fan, is really satisfying for me! I geek out."

Several cast members who were interviewed for the same issue of the magazine praised the LGBTQ+ representation and cultural diversity of the film's characters. Salma Hayek, who plays the role of Ajak, referred to Eternals as being "completely a game-changer" in that sense, with the film's diversity extending way "beyond the geography."

One of the film's unique individuals is portrayed by Game of Thrones' Jon Snow actor Kit Harington, who hopes it might just be the "tip of the iceberg" for his character. Harington expressed his desire for Dane Whitman (also known as Black Knight in the comics) to have "a longer trajectory" despite him being "the human character of the story" and not an Eternal.

"I've got no idea whether my character goes on or not," Harington told Total Film. "I had read up on who he could be, or might be. So there’s the possibility for a longer trajectory. And hopefully, I think this is the tip of the iceberg for my character. I hope. But I just don't know, you know? I'm as in the dark as anyone else."

Marvel's Eternals is the next Phase 4 movie on deck after Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. The film is due out on November 5 and is expected to follow Shang-Chi's release model with an exclusive theatrical run before moving on to streaming platforms. Beyond that, you might want to check out our guide to every upcoming film and TV show in the MCU.

Adele Ankers is a freelance writer for IGN. Follow her on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors