Even Attack On Titan's English Voice Actors Don't Know How It Will End

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
After close to 10 years on the air, Attack of Titan is finally coming to an end. For fans who haven't been spoiled by the manga, it's an emotional moment as they wait to see what happens to characters like Eren, Mikasa, and Armin. Indeed, even the English voice actors are uncertain what will ultimately happen to the characters they've played since 2014.

Speaking in a panel interview for IGN Fan Fest, Attack on Titan's English voice actors shared their individual perspectives on the growth of their characters throughout the series. In the process, Bryce Papenbrook (Eren) and Trina Nishimura (Mikasa) both revealed that they remain unspoiled on the ending.

"I don't know where he's going with this. I haven't been spoiled, I haven't read the manga... I love to immerse the shows I'm working on, live in that moment in real-time, then let whatever comes out of my body to come out into the show," Papenbrook explained.

Papenbrook's experience contrasts with Japanese voice actor Yuki Kaji, who is said to have cried while rehearsing for the show's final season. According to some reports, Kaji was fully caught up with the manga, but was nevertheless unprepared for the emotion of performing it for the show.

Describing his character's development, Papenbrook says that Eren is "angry" for much of the show, but that he changed in the final season. "I would describe Eren between Season 1 and 3 as 'angry.' Like, there's this anger that comes through every word he says. And in this latest season, that anger is still there, but it's under this layer of coldness, which makes him absolutely terrifying."

Nishimura, for her part, says that Mikasa hasn't been through as much change as Eren, but that certain recent developments have shifted her perception of the character over time. Overall, Nishimura is "really looking forward to seeing how everything ends."

"In my heart of hearts I really want Eren, Mikasa and Armin to get matching town homes somewhere and just be friends and just hang out. I know that's not gonna happen, but I hope for them that it'll be a happy ending," Nishimura said, adding, "It won't probably."

First released in North America in 2014, Attack on Titan was an instant sensation with anime fans when it debuted in English. The final chapter of the manga was fairly divisive among fans of the series when it was released in April 2021, leading some to wonder whether the anime would go in a different direction.

We'll know soon enough. There are just two episodes remaining in the run, with the final episode set to air on February 28. You can read our review of the premiere of Attack on Titan's final season right here, and make sure to keep an eye on all of our coverage as IGN Fan Fest 2022 continues.

Kat Bailey is a Senior News Editor at IGN

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors