Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/crim...08-5399-79a8-e053-0100007f6100-370300421.html

Cassandra Koziol had just parked her rental car in front of a friend's home in Golden Gate Estates Thursday night when she paused to take a smoke and charge her phone.

The 30-year-old raised her Tugboat brand e-cigarette to her lips, pressed the button and boom — the thing exploded in her mouth, knocking her teeth loose and flying from her hand.

"I'll never use a mod again," she said, referring to a nickname for the device.

On Friday, Koziol stood outside Riner's home near her rental car — gutted and charred from the blaze — swearing off e-cigarettes and tobacco products. She said she switched to e-cigarettes about three years ago hoping to avoid some of the harmful side effects of cigarettes.

"I lost my car, I lost my teeth, I lost my mod," she said. "I'm in pain."

Koziol hired personal injury attorney Sean King to help her navigate the insurance claims that will follow.

King said he plans to look into the battery used in the device and the manufacturers behind them.

"It would almost have to be part of a class-action suit," he said.

First the mod didn't fail the batteries did.

Was a Tugboat?

Was it a clone?

What kind of batteries were in it?

Vendors are going to have to avoid selling batteries now to not get sued.

That would make it a thousand times more dangerous because new vapers would have no clue what kind to buy (Trustfire maybe?)

She had been vaping for 3 years and quit smoking through vaping.

I have been vaping for 4 years and if this happened to me I wouldn't even mention the mod.

She is going to quit vaping now?

Wonderful, but why ruin it for
YOU and ME, and CURRENT SMOKERS on her way out?

Now she has a shark looking at a class action which would ruin vaping for everyone.

If vaping KILLS me I pray that whoever found me dead LIED about it so YOU can have the choice to not die from tobacco related disease and illness. - 5150

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Huh.
The local news didn't even cover it, and they usually are all over that, but there is a bizarre murder for hire case taking over the media currently.
The shark is a true ambulance chaser down here.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm betting it was a mech...

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another one bites the dust. Its a damn shame that people are so stupid and misinformed about stuff like this, and as bad as it is to say it, there almost needs to be some kind of regulations or prerequisite or warnings to curb stupid people from turning what can be a fairly safe device used to better ones health into what basically amounts to a handheld pipebomb you put in your mouth.

Obviously personal responsibility is a huge part, but at some point some of that responsibility falls into the laps of the people who sell way too advanced set ups with way too low a coil with a way too under capable battery to someone with a way too low an IQ and way too low knowledge of what theyre doing.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'd like to know if she was using a rewrapped battery such as eFest or Imren. You know, the 40 amp wrapper with the 10 amp cell. Those need to be pulled from the market.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The only batteries I use in a mech is a SonyVCT4 or LGHB6. I still like to bite into apples.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea those "pulse" rates are totally misleading. When I first started vaping I got a purple efest rated at 3000mah and 35A discharge. It was a week or so before I read up on them and found out they are really only rated at 20A. Fortunately I used it in a regulated mod that wont fire below a 0.3 and it was only 50 watts, otherwise who knows? I might have been a news story.

I dont use mechs, because really theres no reason to for me. The Rx200 has plenty of power for me. But I still only use VTC4 batteries.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yea those "pulse" rates are totally misleading. When I first started vaping I got a purple efest rated at 3000mah and 35A discharge. It was a week or so before I read up on them and found out they are really only rated at 20A. Fortunately I used it in a regulated mod that wont fire below a 0.3 and it was only 50 watts, otherwise who knows? I might have been a news story.

I dont use mechs, because really theres no reason to for me. The Rx200 has plenty of power for me. But I still only use VTC4 batteries.
20 amp ? I don't think so man.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thats not the same one I have, from what Ive read the one I have is actually rated at 20A. But regardless, I never push it much past 10 anyways.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
ABC 7 News:
Naples woman injured, car destroyed in e-cigarette explosion

http://www.mysuncoast.com/news/loca...cle_a850fe02-dd8c-11e5-bc2f-1fb86656534a.html

Cassandra Koziol told the Naples Daily News she had parked her car outside a friend's house Thursday night to use the e-cigarette and charge her car. She said that when she pressed the device's button, it exploded, loosening her teeth and flying from her hand.

Was it an electric car?
It was a rental.
Cash grab maybe?

Koizol was treated for first- and second-degree burns to her hand, chest and neck. She lost a tooth. She has hired a personal injury lawyer to sue the e-cigarette manufacturer.

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
How about these two turds I got from the local flea market where the con artist selling vaping gear at 10X the cost was telling people that these were safe to use in mechs?

I bought them to show people what NOT to use:

20150810_225103.jpg 20150810_225326.jpg

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I read about how actually a small kurdish village was demolished by an electronic cigarette and the surrounding fields which for generations feed them has now been rendered unfit for growing food for 10,000 years.....Won't the goverment please,please,please step in and rid our country of these satanic death sticks.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
http://www.winknews.com/2016/02/26/woman-severely-burned-in-e-cigarette-explosion/

The 30-year-old says she’s been vaping for three years and knows how to use the device.

“I know how to build my own coils, I know how to check the ohms, I know what I’m doing. I’ve been doing it for years,” Koziol said.

But now, Koziol says she’ll never use the device again.

Koziol says she does plan to pursue legal action against makers of her e-cigarette.

Maybe She really DON'T know what the fuck Shes doing.
That shit blew up in her face didn't it?
When you build your own coils you have no right to blame anybody else for anything do you? - 5150

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm betting it was a mech...
Someone whose been building for 3 years and she can't offer any better explanation for what happened...not buying it. maybe she doesn't want to admitt to the rental company through her OWN neglect their car was trashed... oh no it's those damn demon unprdictable e cigs....you know what they're like just an accident waiting to happen..

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/frequency-cigarette-explosions-force-fda-regulate-37251118

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So many questions...
How low was she built and what bats?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was searching for specific details about exploding vapes, and didn't find much. The battery/charger combo seems to be the usual suspect. Or unvented mechanical mods, I suppose. There's a lot of gear out there, and a lot of people not following directions. More explosions and fires are sure to follow.
The latest triple 18650 TC mods cost less than $50...how safe can THOSE be?
Yep, this vaping business can be dangerous!!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
that's a way oversimplification... they are safer than a unregulated, but still need proper care and respect.
married set of batteries and don't trust the onboard charger.

I was searching for specific details about exploding vapes, and didn't find much. The battery/charger combo seems to be the usual suspect. Or unvented mechanical mods, I suppose. There's a lot of gear out there, and a lot of people not following directions. More explosions and fires are sure to follow.
The latest triple 18650 TC mods cost less than $50...how safe can THOSE be?
Yep, this vaping business can be dangerous!!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Come on who really wants to go rent a car and then pay for the damages they created through their own neglect...who wants to admit yeah I burned the car and blew my face up through my own neglect...hell no, this is America, we are all victims,we embrace victims, we elect victims, we lionize victims,we have safe spaces for victims.....nope in the great national storyline she was a heroic victim in a world fraught with wolves....

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
that's the biggest problem right there. The narrative is being fed, stuff like this combined with mister fire pants and rip both on tape its gonna be a much harder fight. Its a big picture being painted.

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
tax and regulation, oh joy. i think it's time for me to stock up on the essentials. i'm particularity worried about nicotine

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
tax and regulation, oh joy. i think it's time for me to stock up on the essentials. i'm particularity worried about nicotine

Me too since it's the only thing they can truly control.
Putting it on the drug scheduling list as a Sched 4 would fuck us all over big time.
I have a few liters in the freezer.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well hopefully they'll just hand the industry over to phillip morris and nic will stay legal....then they'll "regulate" hardware...and most of us have plenty of mods and attys already

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't know that I would be so ready to advertise that much longer.
Me too since it's the only thing they can truly control.
Putting it on the drug scheduling list as a Sched 4 would fuck us all over big time.
I have a few liters in the freezer.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol, do we gotta start using "SWIM" now when talking about Nic or DIYing? Sounds insane, but who knows, might not be too far fetched in the near future.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Well hopefully they'll just hand the industry over to phillip morris and nic will stay legal....then they'll "regulate" hardware...and most of us have plenty of mods and attys already

How will that help a smoker who wants a healthier alternative in the future?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How will that help a smoker who wants a healthier alternative in the future?
Oh I meant that phillip morris will take over the e cig industry...they will make the crap they sell in the 7-11, and they'll probablly partner with the chinese and make a sub ohm tank and they will sell a line of juice if not several lines because they will have the money and influence to push their shit through the FDA...all the hardwre will be made by big chinese corporations who will buy the FDAs rubber stamp.....nicotine will be left as it is, and a small minority of vapers will DIY their own juice and vape the gear they had before the vape apocolypse.

There will be a sub culture of black market modders, and people will start making their own mods, even their own atties.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh I meant that phillip morris will take over the e cig industry...they will make the crap they sell in the 7-11, and they'll probablly partner with the chinese and make a sub ohm tank and they will sell a line of juice if not several lines because they will have the money and influence to push their shit through the FDA...all the hardwre will be made by big chinese corporations who will buy the FDAs rubber stamp.....nicotine will be left as it is, and a small minority of vapers will DIY their own juice and vape the gear they had before the vape apocolypse.
Here is my issue with that- if it weren't for the equipment we had available with rebuildables I would still ne smoking. if that gets cut out or made difficult to get, alot lf smokers that want to quit next year wont have the help we had.
I'm not worried about myself, you or anyone else om this forum right now. We all have the gear, and the knowledge to keep vaping. I'm worried about the guy that needs a shop to find good gear BECUASE he doesn't come online, or doesn't trust china. Or maybe he just doesn't know where to look for us.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is my issue with that- if it weren't for the equipment we had available with rebuildables I would still ne smoking. if that gets cut out or made difficult to get, alot lf smokers that want to quit next year wont have the help we had.
I'm not worried about myself, you or anyone else om this forum right now. We all have the gear, and the knowledge to keep vaping. I'm worried about the guy that needs a shop to find good gear BECUASE he doesn't come online, or doesn't trust china. Or maybe he just doesn't know where to look for us.
Oh hell man the chinese gave boatloads of money to the Clintons hell the fucking Chinese probablly have their own offcie at our FDA.....they aren't going anywhere....they'll get a rubber stamp from whatever board will be in charge of regulating vaping hardware..all the small time modders won't be able to afford the red tape ,lawyers and palm greasing to stay alive...so I envison a sort of mass of chinese sub ohm tanks that will be available....stuff will be available we're just going to use the goverment to steal itfrom the people who built the industry and using the power of regulatory beauacracy give it over to the highest bidder...and fucking idiot Americans will rush on down to Walmart to get their 20.00 Hello Kitty Mc Nugget tanks and just piss themselves pink crowing about ...ain't it grand the price of vape gear is so cheap..and Phillip Morris will get control over making e-juice and disposable pin thingys

Right now they are starting to manufacture consent...this is like a sit-com...for the next year we are going to get a ringside seat at every vape related accident from idiots blow themsleves up to chiquaquas dying from drinking e-juice, we will be hearing about how "the science is in" on vaping that is shrinks brains cells and penisis,it is even MORE dangerous than smoking,,,we will get fabricated studies done by goverment sponsored scientists that show the largest growing segment of vapers are 3rd graders.....and not a single solitary word on the lives it saves,declines in emphsymia,and COPD,plummeting rates of sesonal flu victims,longevity growing,...nope not a word......they will do what they do to guns...they have 24/7 coverage of shootings, they will have lurid coverage of memorials, they have family portriats of the victims....but they will refuse to cover stories were a gun owner prevents a shooting or saves a life,they refuse to aknowledge the drop in violent crimes in states with high gun ownership, they refuse to admitt if you took out the shooting crimes of 6 of americas major cities the American deaths by guns per 100,000 would be lower than Europe's

Last edited:

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems most? vapers buy at least some? Chinese vape gear (since US makers either don't exist or insist on mega profit margins...

So, this being the case, who will protect us from unscrupulous Chinese manufacturers?

There is some branded authentic vape gear, likely safe even if it is from China.

Maybe it's up to the buyers to do the research and to be sure of reliable gear. But that isn't always what happens.

I've bought some bargain gear that I wonder about...

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems most? vapers buy at least some? Chinese vape gear (since US makers either don't exist or insist on mega profit margins...

So, this being the case, who will protect us from unscrupulous Chinese manufacturers?

There is some branded authentic vape gear, likely safe even if it is from China.

Maybe it's up to the buyers to do the research and to be sure of reliable gear. But that isn't always what happens.

I've bought some bargain gear that I wonder about...
If we want to keep the goverment out of our bussiness, we have to police ourselves...we have to be responsible for ourselves and our purchases......what you think chinese manufacturers using slave labor don't have mega profit margins

VU Sponsors