FA Bilberry vs TFA Blueberry Extra

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I've done quite a few recipes using TFA Blueberry extra, but I would like to try FA Bilberry. Can someone advise on ratios? I tend to use 4-5% of the TFA, with maybe 1-2% of another blueberry like TFA Blueberry Candy or CAP Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble. So, let's say I'm wondering what an equivalent percent of Bilberry would be compared to 5% TFA Blueberry extra.

Thanks so much to anyone who can advise.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've done quite a few recipes using TFA Blueberry extra, but I would like to try FA Bilberry. Can someone advise on ratios? I tend to use 4-5% of the TFA, with maybe 1-2% of another blueberry like TFA Blueberry Candy or CAP Blueberry Cinnamon Crumble. So, let's say I'm wondering what an equivalent percent of Bilberry would be compared to 5% TFA Blueberry extra.

Thanks so much to anyone who can advise.

Most are starting around 0.5% I think, although I couldn't even use it that low, or even lower, still too much like perfume to me.

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heabob is right. Most do the whole 0.5%. Which is a great starting point.

Granted, I like my billberry over the top so we won't say how much I use (0.5-2'ish or 3'ish). But that's for my tasting ability. And I'm the 0.001% of the population apparently who gets great flavor out of it at those percents. I do steep/age my billberry mixes 1-2 weeks sometimes 3.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've done quite a few recipes using TFA Blueberry extra, but I would like to try FA Bilberry. Can someone advise on ratios?

Definitely have to agree on the 'start low' .. was not the first time I thought I would love a flavor only to find a particular brand just was not my cup of blueberries ... the FA is great, don't get me wrong but way too much parfum on my first mix lol

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What a coincidence. Just today I was doing some research on blueberry flavor and coming up with a % to use for single flavors of blueberry to see how they taste and compare. The Inawera just arrived in vapemail today so I am set to start mixing. From what I found in manufacturers recommendations, this is what I am planning to mix, and all at 50/50 PG/VG for the comparison, and 14mg nic which is my normal level. Any suggestions would be most welcome. I was going to mix today, but will wait a day or so to see if any comments come in to change my plan. Thanks.
1% FA Bilberry
3% Inawera Blueberry
15% FW Blueberry
13% TFA Blueberry Extra
15% TFA Blueberry Wild

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
@roxynoodle
For some reason, blueberry is among the most difficult and confoozing flavors to get a consensus on.
So I'll throw in my monkey wrench... IMO,
Inawera is NyQuil flavoring... horrific.
FA Bilberry is a background flavor at most, and at verrry low percentage. (.25%)
TFA: I prefer the regular blueberry over the bb Extra. (The Extra has a candied scent to me)
So far, there is no blueberry flavoring I would use as a stand-alone...

But right now my (ever-evolving) blueberry (pie filling is the goal) flavor combination is
Flavor West blueberry at ~ 5-6%
TFA blueberry 2-3%
...mixed with another ~7% of creams/vanillas/custards

Believe it or not, FW is the closest thing I've found to a stand-alone I like.

scrubzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What a coincidence. Just today I was doing some research on blueberry flavor and coming up with a % to use for single flavors of blueberry to see how they taste and compare. The Inawera just arrived in vapemail today so I am set to start mixing. From what I found in manufacturers recommendations, this is what I am planning to mix, and all at 50/50 PG/VG for the comparison, and 14mg nic which is my normal level. Any suggestions would be most welcome. I was going to mix today, but will wait a day or so to see if any comments come in to change my plan. Thanks.
1% FA Bilberry
3% Inawera Blueberry
15% FW Blueberry
13% TFA Blueberry Extra
15% TFA Blueberry Wild

47% ttl flavor? I am pretty new to this but that seems a tad high?

Nevermind - i reread it and understand (just got off an hour and a half conference call so what everyone laughingly refers to as my mind is fried)

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
47% ttl flavor? I am pretty new to this but that seems a tad high?

Nevermind - i reread it and understand (just got off an hour and a half conference call so what everyone laughingly refers to as my mind is fried)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Inawera is NyQuil flavoring... horrific.
FA Bilberry is a background flavor at most, and at verrry low percentage. (.25%)
<snip>
So far, there is no blueberry flavoring I would use as a stand-alone...
<snip>
Believe it or not, FW is the closest thing I've found to a stand-alone I like.

Except for in the case of the INW (which I found MUCH worse than horrific), your information has been my experience and I could not agree with you more.

Ron
---
"How awful the knowledge of the truth can be"- Sophocles

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
1% FA Bilberry
3% Inawera Blueberry
15% FW Blueberry
13% TFA Blueberry Extra
15% TFA Blueberry Wild

I only use around 5% for CAP, FW, & TFA Blueberry Wild.

EarnestAccord

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use FA Bilberry as an addition to TFA's Extra, as many do. I like the top note it brings to the softer TFA version. Ratio is usuall in the 1/8 range, depending on what the base flavor is. For example if I making my lightly creamed Blueberry & Milk recipe my FA/TFA is .5%/4%. If I'm playing with AP for bakery notes I easily double those percentages.

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
I use FA Bilberry as an addition to TFA's Extra, as many do. I like the top note it brings to the softer TFA version. Ratio is usuall in the 1/8 range, depending on what the base flavor is. For example if I making my lightly creamed Blueberry & Milk recipe my FA/TFA is .5%/4%. If I'm playing with AP for bakery notes I easily double those percentages.
Great info here.
A year ago or so, I had horrific less than successful results with Bilberry as a solo bberry type component. :blech:
At 3%, it was snake venom. Never used it again. Now I'm thinkin' about dusting off that bottle as a mixer.
...or mebbe black currant.

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I typically use Bilberry at 1%. It's pretty strong... but I tend to mix on the low side of things. It's a really good flavor though. It's my favorite blueberry type flavor. TFA BB Wild would be second

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the comments and examples of the % that works for you all. To satisfy my own curiosity, I'm going to mix them as I have listed in my original post, since those percents were as listed by the manufacturers. I'll report back in a mweek or so after they set a while and I get a chance to try each of them. I'm not looking forward to NyQuil :(

Catalyst

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm glad I found this thread... I have just been educated. As I have TFA blueberry extra in the cupboard and FA bilberry on the back of a ups truck as I type... thanks all for the info...

VU Sponsors