Become a Patron!

FBI looking for foul play in creation of Indiana vaping law

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Excellent. I knew antitrust would come into somewhere. :D

Andria

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hope the FBI goes after Pa. as well.
Unfortunately I am not sure they can unless they can prove that someone benefited from an unjust law. In pa they are simply greedy for tax money. The tax can be considered unconstitutional if we fought it to the right judge. In the event that the ammendment does not get passed it can put pennsylvania in the hot seat to answer why it is necessary but with the FDA classifying ecigs as tobacco that will not amount to anything. Unfortunately we have some cunning law makers here in pa who have stated why they waited until the FDA ruling to enact the tax.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Unfortunately I am not sure they can unless they can prove that someone benefited from an unjust law. In pa they are simply greedy for tax money. The tax can be considered unconstitutional if we fought it to the right judge. In the event that the ammendment does not get passed it can put pennsylvania in the hot seat to answer why it is necessary but with the FDA classifying ecigs as tobacco that will not amount to anything. Unfortunately we have some cunning law makers here in pa who have stated why they waited until the FDA ruling to enact the tax.

I could see a similar "interstate commerce" type of argument, in PA's case -- if you want to buy something that's not made at all in PA, then you HAVE TO buy it from out of state -- that doesn't make you an importer, if you order only in quantities for your own use. And shouldn't people in a supposedly free country have the right to buy anything made anywhere in our own country? Isn't that what the interstate commerce regs are supposed to protect and enforce?

Andria

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I could see a similar "interstate commerce" type of argument, in PA's case -- if you want to buy something that's not made at all in PA, then you HAVE TO buy it from out of state -- that doesn't make you an importer, if you order only in quantities for your own use. And shouldn't people in a supposedly free country have the right to buy anything made anywhere in our own country? Isn't that what the interstate commerce regs are supposed to protect and enforce?
The fact that people owe "Use" tax (typically part of a Sales and Use Tax in the 40-some states that have them) on purchases they make out of state (even for personal consumption) seems to be rather well established, and this tax seems to follow that precedent. :(

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The fact that people owe "Use" tax (typically part of a Sales and Use Tax in the 40-some states that have them) on purchases they make out of state (even for personal consumption) seems to be rather well established, and this tax seems to follow that precedent. :(
Although I hate to agree I see it the same way. The only reprieve we would have is if a judge threw out the FDA'S governance over vaping. At that point it's no longer a sin tax and becomes a directed attack at an industry. But hoping for that is like hoping for the political parties to say hey let's do what's good for the country and not my pocket.

VU Sponsors