Become a Patron!

FDA Deeming Regulations: What’s Next

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if this is the right column to post my comment in, but I've been meaning to say it. Most of my friends and family are in favor of vaping, and of course by now everybody knows at least two people who have stopped smoking by vaping. I have one friend that I've known for many years, and all along, since I took up vaping and quit cigarettes three years ago, I have felt that she was against vaping. She's one of those people who eat like a nursing home patient, has every fashionable health issue, was gluten intolerant for a while, is lactose intolerant right now, tells people at potlucks that they used too much salt in their recipes. You get the picture, but at the same time she has been a good friend of mine, and is compassionate toward the world in many ways. I have had to hammer her hard about how vaping is a very successful smoking cessation method, because she hates smoking too. I have had to emphasize that vapor ingredients are far less harmful than tobacco, and that things like genetically modified foods and petroleum based dyes in foods deserve far more serious concern.

Anyway, I was telling her that when I signed the whitehouse petition asking Obama to overturn the FDA's ridiculous regulatory scheme, I immediately got a reply from the "we the people team" saying that 3 million high school and middle school children use electronic cigarettes. I was about to rant about how that is a bogus, made up number coming from a no-reply email address which prevents any return comments, when my friend interrupted me to say "children ARE using electronic cigarettes". That was when I knew what I'd suspected all along, that my hypochondriac friend had bought into the ANTZ hysteria, and the vaping falsehoods continuously trotted out by the press.

So my point in all of this would have been, and still is, that even if three million children were vaping, which number I seriously doubt, they are the same children whose risk taking behavior would have led them to try cigarettes and get addicted to tobacco. This is one of those truths we have to hold close, like holding onto a buoy in a stormy sea, when discussing vaping issues with friends, family, and perhaps most importantly, our elected so called leaders.

Thank you for linking that interesting article. I read twice, trying to clarify something:

"This is why members of the industry are supporting efforts in Congress to change the predicate date to the date that the deeming regulations take effect, which is Aug. 8, 2016. If the predicate date were to be changed by Congress, then all of the newly deemed tobacco products would be grandfathered and not be required to have a SE or PMTA application submitted."

Is that paragraph referring to the Convenience Store Products industry?

VU Sponsors