Become a Patron!

FDA REG'S... BEST TO BE PREPARED! SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE!

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good Day Vaping Underground!

With the new regs expecting to take effect, sooner than later, I've been thinking...What are some of the things we should do to prepare?

For example, would it be wise that we begin stockpiling mods, tanks, juices, batteries, and coils?

Will Mechanical Mods be the best investments? If so, why?

How long will ejuices last, if we do stockpile them?

Can we expect items(mods,coils,Ejuice,etc.,) to be taken off the shelves? If so, which ones specifically will be going?

Will company's prices begin to increase or decrease as we fast approach? I've heard that some company's may go out of business?

Just some of my two thoughts, please share yours...and all insight and direction would be greatly appreciated!

Vape On!

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
With the new regs expecting to take effect, sooner than later, I've been thinking...What are some of the things we should do to prepare?

Best bet is to learn to build your own coils and invest wisely in the best attys you can afford. Also, repair parts for mods, especially 510 threads, male and female, for atty/mod repair

For example, would it be wise that we begin stockpiling mods, tanks, juices, batteries, and coils? Yes, but batteries are used for other purposes so should be safe from FDA regulation

Will Mechanical Mods be the best investments? If so, why? Mechanical mods are easy to rebuild, which is why they are a good investment IF you understand how to use them safely.

How long will ejuices last, if we do stockpile them? Opinions vary, but keeping in freezer is wise

Can we expect items(mods,coils,Ejuice,etc.,) to be taken off the shelves? If so, which ones specifically will be going? No one knows - it will depend on which - if any - vendors successfully get FDA approval to sell their products.

Will company's prices begin to increase or decrease as we fast approach? I've heard that some company's may go out of business? A lot of people think prices will rise. If the regs stand as published, a great many businesses will likely close because they will not be able to sell their products due to the astronomical cost of getting approval

Just some of my two thoughts, please share yours...and all insight and direction would be greatly appreciated!

Some are counseling vapers to chill and see if the lawsuits filed against the FDA are successful

I've been stockpiling nicotine (for DIY) and other supplies since I heard about the pending regs over two years ago.

Hope this helps. There is still a lot of uncertainty and is a hard time all vapers but new ones especially

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Another thing I would add is that a lot of new products are hitting the market just now and it is a great time to scoop up bargains for "last months model" of a lot of gear.

Many retailers are selling off current stock at very cheap prices to make room for all the new stuff hitting the market before the August cutoff time when new products will not be allowed into the US market.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally, Id rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I dont wanna be stuck out in the cold if shit goes downhill really fast. Ive talked to a lot of people about it (including a few shop owners) and some arent worried at all (one shop is spending a shit load of money to expand right now) and some think its the end of the world.

What Im doing is copping whatever I feel Ill need in the future that I wont be able to get my hands on. I plan on getting a few more mods, both mech and regulated (213, Lucifer, Disguiser, Dripbox 2.0, another Noisy Cricket, RX200S, a couple tubes/series tubes, etc.), a couple more RTAs (you probably wanna learn to build and get RTAs as coils will be hard to get if SHTF), a couple more RDAs (even though Ive already got a shit load), a gallon or 2 of 100mg/ml nicotine, and a fuck ton of my favorite juices. Plus a lot of odds and ends or whatever catches my eye.

I dont know how bad itll be. We might be making a big deal out of nothing, but fuck it, Id rather be stocked up on stuff Ill use anyway than be left holding the (empty) bag.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good Day My Vaporium!

For example, would it be wise that we begin stockpiling mods, tanks, juices, batteries, and coils?

Will Mechanical Mods be the best investments? If so, why?

How long will ejuices last, if we do stockpile them?

Can we expect items(mods,coils,Ejuice,etc.,) to be taken off the shelves? If so, which ones specifically will be going?

Will company's prices begin to increase or decrease as we fast approach? I've heard that some company's may go out of business?

Vape On!
Another thing I would add is that a lot of new products are hitting the market just now and it is a great time to scoop up bargains for "last months model" of a lot of gear.

Many retailers are selling off current stock at very cheap prices to make room for all the new stuff hitting the market before the August cutoff time when new products will not be allowed into the US market.
actually the best thing you can do is plan your strategy , but , right now send the money you would have spent buying your doomsday kit to casa and sfada...let the professionals have a shot at winning this war

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
actually the best thing you can do is plan your strategy , but , right now send the money you would have spent buying your doomsday kit to casa and sfada...let the professionals have a shot at winning this war

No chance of that here - I've made contributions in the past which seems to have not stopped the FDA one step.

With that mindset, I'd be sending my grocery money to the organization I belong to that is fighting the FDA over Frankenfish instead of buying food.

While I still support CASAA et. al. with my effort in time, I've got to make sure I can vape well into the future at a style I've become accustomed to, lol.

While everyone does indeed need to decide for themselves how to respond, I'm a tobacco addict who has managed to stop smoking cigarettes thanks to vaping. There is a real danger that I will start smoking again if vaping becomes too difficult or expensive because of the FDA zealotry

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Best bet is to learn to build your own coils and invest wisely in the best attys you can afford. Also, repair parts for mods, especially 510 threads, male and female, for atty/mod repair

For example, would it be wise that we begin stockpiling mods, tanks, juices, batteries, and coils? Yes, but batteries are used for other purposes so should be safe from FDA regulation

Will Mechanical Mods be the best investments? If so, why? Mechanical mods are easy to rebuild, which is why they are a good investment IF you understand how to use them safely.

How long will ejuices last, if we do stockpile them? Opinions vary, but keeping in freezer is wise

Can we expect items(mods,coils,Ejuice,etc.,) to be taken off the shelves? If so, which ones specifically will be going? No one knows - it will depend on which - if any - vendors successfully get FDA approval to sell their products.

Will company's prices begin to increase or decrease as we fast approach? I've heard that some company's may go out of business? A lot of people think prices will rise. If the regs stand as published, a great many businesses will likely close because they will not be able to sell their products due to the astronomical cost of getting approval

Some are counseling vapers to chill and see if the lawsuits filed against the FDA are successful

I've been stockpiling nicotine (for DIY) and other supplies since I heard about the pending regs over two years ago.

Hope this helps. There is still a lot of uncertainty and is a hard time all vapers but new ones especially
Definitely helps, JuicyLucy! Thanks for sharing...

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally, Id rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I dont wanna be stuck out in the cold if shit goes downhill really fast. Ive talked to a lot of people about it (including a few shop owners) and some arent worried at all (one shop is spending a shit load of money to expand right now) and some think its the end of the world.

What Im doing is copping whatever I feel Ill need in the future that I wont be able to get my hands on. I plan on getting a few more mods, both mech and regulated (213, Lucifer, Disguiser, Dripbox 2.0, another Noisy Cricket, RX200S, a couple tubes/series tubes, etc.), a couple more RTAs (you probably wanna learn to build and get RTAs as coils will be hard to get if SHTF), a couple more RDAs (even though Ive already got a shit load), a gallon or 2 of 100mg/ml nicotine, and a fuck ton of my favorite juices. Plus a lot of odds and ends or whatever catches my eye.

I dont know how bad itll be. We might be making a big deal out of nothing, but fuck it, Id rather be stocked up on stuff Ill use anyway than be left holding the (empty) bag.
Yaaassss, Mythical_OD! Thanks!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Definitely helps, JuicyLucy! Thanks for sharing...

At this point I have read hundreds of pages of FDA hokum - the actual regs and some of the FDA guides for vendors - and still do not have what I feel is a good grasp of how this will come down.

Mainly because they constantly contradict themselves and a lot of the dates they give are ambiguous and you have to make assumptions - and we all know what happens when you ASS U ME something

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
At this point I have read hundreds of pages of FDA hokum - the actual regs and some of the FDA guides for vendors - and still do not have what I feel is a good grasp of how this will come down.

Mainly because they constantly contradict themselves and a lot of the dates they give are ambiguous and you have to make assumptions - and we all know what happens when you ASS U ME something
@JuicyLucy, have you tried out, Plumes on YouTube! They seem to be very involved and very informed! Let me know what you think!

Vaping Rocks!:)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
@JuicyLucy, have you tried out, Plumes on YouTube! They seem to be very involved and very informed! Let me know what you think!

Vaping Rocks!:)

I have not checked out their FDA vid yet, but do like their show generally

There is a ton of info out there but also a lot of the bigger vape reviewers/etc are giving their interpretations

It's almost too much information

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm doing everything possible, signing petitions, forwarding them, have been donating to CASAA all along, have filed comments whenever possible, but in the end I want to have a routine perfected if the worst comes to pass. When hypocritical nanny government first raised her spanking stick, I bought a liter of 100 percent pure pharmaceutical grade nicotine from a Dallas company that no longer carries it. Now I see only China sources for pure nic. I keep that liter sealed in the fridge. My understanding is that it will last forever without exposure to heat and light, while PG and VG will begin to break down after some time. With the regs impeding, I've spent more than I can afford on tons of 100 mg. and 60 mg. unflavored liquid and some flavorings. Vaping at 12 mg., pure nic would be used up at one tiny drop per bottle, and a liter might last for life, but I'd rather postpone tapping it as long as possible. 60 mg. is easy to cut at 20 percent to achieve a 12 mg. vaping liquid. I wish I'd thought that through before I bought the 100 mg. Gotta get a metric measuring kit of some kind.

I've bought two different mechanical mods and a coil building kit, batteries and a charging station, and some rebuildable atomizers. To keep vaping as normal while learning, I also bought two more of my eLeaf 30w, and yes, I'm stockpiling my fave flavors of 12 mg. eliquid and tons, I mean tons, of coils for my favorite clearomizers. The point is to have plenty of time to learn DIY and do it safely before the easy becomes unavailable.

Now I'm absorbed in YouTube videos on rebuilding coils and using mechanical mods safely.

I don't know what else to do. It occurs to me that nanny government is pushing everybody to vaping methods that will be dangerous for some, will result in accidents and injuries, some of which will be quite tragic, by imposing this prohibition on the safest, most effective smoking cessation method ever invented.

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm doing everything possible, signing petitions, forwarding them, have been donating to CASAA all along, have filed comments whenever possible, but in the end I want to have a routine perfected if the worst comes to pass. When hypocritical nanny government first raised her spanking stick, I bought a liter of 100 percent pure pharmaceutical grade nicotine from a Dallas company that no longer carries it. Now I see only China sources for pure nic. I keep that liter sealed in the fridge. My understanding is that it will last forever without exposure to heat and light, while PG and VG will begin to break down after some time. With the regs impeding, I've spent more than I can afford on tons of 100 mg. and 60 mg. unflavored liquid and some flavorings. Vaping at 12 mg., pure nic would be used up at one tiny drop per bottle, and a liter might last for life, but I'd rather postpone tapping it as long as possible. 60 mg. is easy to cut at 20 percent to achieve a 12 mg. vaping liquid. I wish I'd thought that through before I bought the 100 mg. Gotta get a metric measuring kit of some kind.

I've bought two different mechanical mods and a coil building kit, batteries and a charging station, and some rebuildable atomizers. To keep vaping as normal while learning, I also bought two more of my eLeaf 30w, and yes, I'm stockpiling my fave flavors of 12 mg. eliquid and tons, I mean tons, of coils for my favorite clearomizers. The point is to have plenty of time to learn DIY and do it safely before the easy becomes unavailable.

Now I'm absorbed in YouTube videos on rebuilding coils and using mechanical mods safely.

I don't know what else to do. It occurs to me that nanny government is pushing everybody to vaping methods that will be dangerous for some, will result in accidents and injuries, some of which will be quite tragic, by imposing this prohibition on the safest, most effective smoking cessation method ever invented.
Thanks Bliss Doubt! I truly appreciate your thoughts & insight... Now, I will begin my search of the best mech mods and coil building kits, and rebuilding atomizers, available! Any suggestions, please share!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Bliss is definitely going at it in a methodical fashion :)

The biggest caution is if you do find 100% pure (not talking 100 mg, 100% pure) use extreme caution - it is deadly and requires more than just latex gloves and what have you for handling.

If you budget permits - you may want to look into buying parts for regulated mods, which are available on various websites

I admit, I have not done this myself yet - but plan to soon

Solidly built mechanicals can be expensive - but they are the kind of thing you only have to buy once :)

I'd avoid cheap stuff like the Noisy Cricket, which are loaded with issues (disclaimer, I do own two but don't use them in regular rotation, lol)
Also, know the difference between pure mechanical mods and unregulated mods. A number of mods are sold as mechanical but are actually just unregulated with mosfet parts and other limiting parts that from what I hear, are really difficult to replace if they burn out.

Also, seriously educate yourself about hybrid mechanicals. Hybrid mechanicals are designed for the atty to directly touch the battery, making them inherently unsafe in the wrong hands. Most of the headlines of "Vaper suffers third degree burns on his face!" etc come from unsafe use, storage or carrying of hybrids.

My main fallback mechanicals are my REO squonk boxes - very solid builds with proven longevity. Rebuilding them is easy thanks to the way they are designed.

510 connectors are a very weak spot in both mechanical and regulated mods, so a decent stockpile of those should be included in any preppers arsenal, and 510 atty repair kits are available also for stripped thread - a real weak point for most set ups is the 510 threads.

I personally still see attys as the biggest weak link if vape gear becomes scarce and expensive - you can make a mod (the term comes from vapers turning flashlights into APVs, btw) but homemade attys - haven't heard of any coming from average folks, that's for sure.

Before you buy, do know that even high quality stainless steel attys can break - posts wear out or break off, screws get stripped, glass breaks if you have glass components.

Drips tips are another part that could become scarce, so it would not hurt to stockpile a few dozen of your favorites just in case.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Lots of stuff going on right now, what with the lawsuits against the FDA, Sen. Ron Johnson (chairman of Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee) demanding answers from the FDA, congressional attempts to change the date from 2007 to present, and former FDA commissioner Margaret Hamburg facing RICO charges for accepting kickbacks from Johnson & Johnson for concealing the deadly risks associated with the company’s drug Levaquin (coincidentally, Johnson & Johnson owns Nicorette and the vaping regs were created while Hamburg was in office).

All that being said, I'm still preparing for worst case scenario -- stocking up on hardware and filling the freezer with nicotine (100mg base for mixing).

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd avoid cheap stuff like the Noisy Cricket, which are loaded with issues (disclaimer, I do own two but don't use them in regular rotation, lol)

I appreciate everything you wrote JuicyLucy. It is so needed. Every time I talk to people at a brick & mortar vape shop about mods, they assume that I want to create huge clouds and enter competitions, when all I want is to just keep vaping after the vapocalypse, and safely.

Unfortunately I did get a Noisy Cricket because it is so easy to use, and completely mechanical. The name of the thing is what first got my attention. As luck would have it, the Wismec Indestructible that came with it doesn't even have your first coil loaded in, or on the side, so I'm vaping on my eLeaf while figuring out what to do next.

But I knew it would take time to get these routines down. I got a Tugboat clone from another shop, and the TFV4 I bought to go with it leaked mightily and wasted a ton of juice. Some of the online advice about fixing the leak, which appears to be a common problem with the TFV4, includes taking it all apart and making sure all of the moving parts are fitted in correctly. As I tried to take the thing apart, it flew out of my hand. I swept up the glass and went back to vaping on my eLeaf while figuring out what to do next.

I have not yet found my forever setup yet.

Last edited:

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have started buying more nic,, i fear i need a few more mods,, and a couple of tanks.....but what i want most of is;;;;;;;;;;;;; the name/email of the guy i can send my reg mods to get the chips replaced/upgraded,, extra glasses for when i eventually break a tank. what if i strip out a screw on my atty...........where is my go to repair man??????? :)

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I appreciate everything you wrote JuicyLucy. It is so needed. Every time I talk to people at a brick & mortar vape shop about mods, they assume that I want to create huge clouds and enter competitions, when all I want is to just keep vaping after the vapocalypse, and safely.

Unfortunately I did get a Noisy Cricket because it is so easy to use, and completely mechanical. The name of the thing is what first got my attention. As luck would have it, the Wismec Indestructible that came with it doesn't even have your first coil loaded in, or on the side, so I'm vaping on my eLeaf while figuring out what to do next.

But I knew it would take time to get these routines down. I got a Tugboat clone from another shop, and the TFV4 I bought to go with it leaked mightily and wasted a ton of juice. Some of the online advice about fixing the leak, which appears to be a common problem with the TFV4, includes taking it all apart and making sure all of the moving parts are fitted in correctly. As I tried to take the thing apart, it flew out of my hand. I swept up the glass and went back to vaping on my eLeaf while figuring out what to do next.

I have not yet found my forever setup yet.

I used to have the same problem when I first started to upgrade. It seems like the advice was : get a sub ohm TC mod and other recommendations that were way over my head at the time and way exceeded my needs, even now, lol.

I love Isticks and still use mine everyday - I have two 60W and 2 50W with the built in battery. I think they are a very good bang for the buck. I only got my first one back in December, so it's hard to say what actual longevity is.

I have dropped mine on the concrete floor at work, gotten tons of juice inside (thanks to crappy coil builds, lol) stuffed them into pockets, had cats sleep on them and actually accidentally had one fall out of my pocket and slide on the ice under the car, where it spent the night because I didn't notice. It still fired up - and this happened in Alaska :) They still work. I didn't like the 60W at first because they were so light it seems like they were too cheaply made for me not to break, but they've held up several months at least. Several years? Doubtful.

If someone asked me today what to buy to stay above .8 ohms for MTL vaping and they could only get one thing, I'd say an REO Grand LP and 2 of the highest quality bottom feed atties you can afford. With maintenance and rebuilds, you will still be able to use them in 10 years, 20 years even more - at least that is what I'm counting on.

I just saw a NC upgrade kit for about $16 that supposedly ads a few safety features. I'd get it now but with the FDA hammer coming down, my own stash needs more attys and I believe most of the kit's upgrade components will not fall under the deeming regs if they are relabeled.

FatDaddyVapes.com Announcements

i have started buying more nic,, i fear i need a few more mods,, and a couple of tanks.....but what i want most of is;;;;;;;;;;;;; the name/email of the guy i can send my reg mods to get the chips replaced/upgraded,, extra glasses for when i eventually break a tank. what if i strip out a screw on my atty...........where is my go to repair man???????

Stay a member of this forum, this is already a cottage industry that will go underground amongst friends if the regs get seriously heavy handed

FT sells a lot of parts right now, as do other sites

Until this all happened, it probably wasn't worth repairing a 20 or $30 mod, but now....

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If someone asked me today what to buy to stay above .8 ohms for MTL vaping and they could only get one thing, I'd say an REO Grand LP and 2 of the highest quality bottom feed atties you can afford. With maintenance and rebuilds, you will still be able to use them in 10 years, 20 years even more - at least that is what I'm counting on.

I just saw a NC upgrade kit for about $16 that supposedly ads a few safety features. I'd get it now but with the FDA hammer coming down, my own stash needs more attys and I believe most of the kit's upgrade components will not fall under the deeming regs if they are relabeled.

Okay, now you've got me scared.

I'm stuck with the Noisy Cricket, so will get the safety upgrade kit and renew my intention to learn how to build coils, using the Wismec Indestructible that came without a coil installed.

I looked at the REO and watched some video reviews, and I think I could get used to squeezing and all, but it looks like leaking is a pretty standard problem, besides which, gawd, the price. If I could get one on approval and pay for it only if I like it, I'd do it, or try a clone, but the clones all have a "subohm upgrade kit" installed in them.

So I stumbled onto a video review of the Hammer mod, the little one that kind of resembles an asthma inhaler in its shape. I have a source for an authentic one, and one of the commenters below the video said you can just use an Aspire Nautilus on it. Do you think that's a good idea for a DIY beginner? Looking for familiarity, I'd be able to use what I have, and apparently you can rebuild Nautilus coils, or make new coils, whatever. The Hammer appears to be completely mechanical, no chip, no wiring.

As for your question about the life span of the eLeaf, I got two of them for my second anniversary cigarette free, which was November of 2014. I rotate them, and am heading toward November of 16, my fourth vapiversary, still rotating the same two. I only vape at 11.5 watts, using a 1.6 resistance coil, but I saw so many positive reviews of the original eLeaf 20 watt, and when I went to buy them, the store gave me a free upgrade to the 30 watt which had just been released. The good brands seem to last and last. I had my two original Joyetech ego batteries sitting around long after I got the eLeafs, and when I gave the egos away to a newbie vaper they were still holding a charge and working fine.

Anyway, thank you for all the help. I wondered if I would ever encounter anyone online who could not only answer questions, but anticipate them. I'm thinking the hammer plus the nautilus will keep the vape experience basically the same as I have now. Do you think?

I hope also that our Adenrele1982 who started this thread is learning as much as I am.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I'm stuck with the Noisy Cricket, so will get the safety upgrade kit and renew my intention to learn how to build coils, using the Wismec Indestructible that came without a coil installed.

I looked at the REO and watched some video reviews, and I think I could get used to squeezing and all, but it looks like leaking is a pretty standard problem, besides which, gawd, the price. If I could get one on approval and pay for it only if I like it, I'd do it, or try a clone, but the clones all have a "subohm upgrade kit" installed in them.

So I stumbled onto a video review of the Hammer mod, the little one that kind of resembles an asthma inhaler in its shape. I have a source for an authentic one, and one of the commenters below the video said you can just use an Aspire Nautilus on it. Do you think that's a good idea for a DIY beginner? Looking for familiarity, I'd be able to use what I have, and apparently you can rebuild Nautilus coils, or make new coils, whatever. The Hammer appears to be completely mechanical, no chip, no wiring.

As for your question about the life span of the eLeaf, I got two of them for my second anniversary cigarette free, which was November of 2014. I rotate them, and am heading toward November of 16, my fourth vapiversary, still rotating the same two. I only vape at 11.5 watts, using a 1.6 resistance coil, but I saw so many positive reviews of the original eLeaf 20 watt, and when I went to buy them, the store gave me a free upgrade to the 30 watt which had just been released. The good brands seem to last and last. I had my two original Joyetech ego batteries sitting around long after I got the eLeafs, and when I gave the egos away to a newbie vaper they were still holding a charge and working fine.

Anyway, thank you for all the help. I wondered if I would ever encounter anyone online who could not only answer questions, but anticipate them. I'm thinking the hammer plus the nautilus will keep the vape experience basically the same as I have now. Do you think?

I hope also that our Adenrele1982 who started this thread is learning as much as I am.

I wouldn't be scared of the NC, but educate yourself before using it - be very safe.

I don't really know anything about the Hammer mod personally, so won't say much. Would like more info on the quality of the switch mentioned in the description. Looks promising though :)

I've never had leak issues from my REOs and am pretty tough on my gear.

Not sure about the rebuilt nautilus heads either - but I do plan on getting some. I was asking around about them over the weekend because I have quite a few tanks that take nautilus coils and don't feel like spending a bazillion bucks on premades. One person told me they were a big improvement taste-wise over the pre-mades but it's probably one of those things were you have to decide for yourself if they perform up to what you find acceptable. For $10, I'm going to go for it.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't really know anything about the Hammer mod personally, so won't say much. Would like more info on the quality of the switch mentioned in the description. Looks promising though :)

I'm not sure what you mean about the switch. There are several mods called "hammer" on the market, but I'm referring to the Kato Hammer, and nowhere that I find it do I see anything about a switch. It's this one (but this is not where I'm buying it):

http://www.westcoastvapesupply.com/hammer-mod-by-kato-authentic/details/HAMMERMODKATO

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
There is a switch were you fire it. I just took a quick look at a clone. It looks sweet at a glance - nice a solid looking.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There is a switch were you fire it. I just took a quick look at a clone. It looks sweet at a glance - nice a solid looking.

I want to get a real one, not the clone, because the video I mentioned above, that I found while looking for REO video reviews, was about how to spot the differences between the real and the clone. Anyway, I'll see what I can find out about the switch and let you know.

Thanks again.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I want to get a real one, not the clone, because the video I mentioned above, that I found while looking for REO video reviews, was about how to spot the differences between the real and the clone. Anyway, I'll see what I can find out about the switch and let you know.

Thanks again.

Its just good to know what the internals look like, what the materials are and how easy/hard they are to replace or upgrade if there is a real possibility you will need to work on it in the coming decades, lol.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Its just good to know what the internals look like, what the materials are and how easy/hard they are to replace or upgrade if there is a real possibility you will need to work on it in the coming decades, lol.

This guy is not impressed:

But I don't care about the small battery because you just take an extra battery with you when you go out. I do have to admit it's a downgrade from what I'm using now in terms of how long it lasts between charges, but it's the first mechanical mod I've encountered, other than the REO, that doesn't promise to slurp up the juice like it was free, yet won't return me to the little ego 3.3 volt very limited unsatisfying performance.

This guy compares the switch with the one on the Astro (I've no knowledge of the Astro), and he likes the Hammer:

This is the first vid I stumbled onto, comparing the real to the clone:

Maybe take a look if you get a chance. I'm starting to feel guilty about taking up your time, but I know other DIY newbies are hungry for knowledge too. I really love this little thing, the way I can see that it will stand upright in a pocket of my tote like the eLeaf does, that it's simple, doesn't require a kit of replacement O-rings and tubes and stuff, will use clearomizers I'm familiar with, and it's beautiful, and looks like it will last for decades.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
No time to watch the vids right now (working, lol) but looks like it good be a pretty good deal!

The battery life will be determined by the atty's build and how often you use it.

One safety rule: make sure any atty you use on any mech has a protruding adjustable center pin - one of the first rules of mechanicals actually. You can use atty's with prebuilt coils on a mech as long as there is an adjustable center pin. Without it, kabooey potential is high

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Blissful Doubt, I must say I am definitely learning so very much. Somewhat overwhelming, as I soak it all up. I find myself dissecting portions, doing research and returning for another nibble to digest and back again. Thanks for even checking! Your rock just as much as vaping does!

Thanks again. Vape On!

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If smokers switched to e-cigarettes, it would “prevent almost all of the harm from smoking,”-- Britain’s Royal College of Physicians,,,BUT the aMerican FDA says: "Thanks for the kickbacks RJR,, and yes I think we can kill many smokers together!"

Yup, we are governed by an unelected bureaucracy of thieves and parasites.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
510 connectors are a very weak spot in both mechanical and regulated mods, so a decent stockpile of those should be included in any preppers arsenal, and 510 atty repair kits are available also for stripped thread - a real weak point for most set ups is the 510 threads.

I personally still see attys as the biggest weak link if vape gear becomes scarce and expensive - you can make a mod (the term comes from vapers turning flashlights into APVs, btw) but homemade attys - haven't heard of any coming from average folks, that's for sure.

Before you buy, do know that even high quality stainless steel attys can break - posts wear out or break off, screws get stripped, glass breaks if you have glass components.

Drips tips are another part that could become scarce, so it would not hurt to stockpile a few dozen of your favorites just in case.

This is very valuable info. Looks like FatDaddy has some of this covered. Have added him to my list of links.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Somewhat overwhelming, as I soak it all up. I find myself dissecting portions, doing research and returning for another nibble to digest and back again.

Me too, Adenrele1982, me too. After engaging several days in this very timely and relevant thread you started, I keep finding more and more advice already written by JuicyLucy and others, which I missed on previous readings.

You asked for suggestions. There is a nice little thing you might find helpful, which I ordered and have just received, and look forward to trying, a coil making kit using a method which seems, to me, ingenious, and maybe fool proof. The demonstration begins at about 2:07:

Now to just figure out what kind of wire to get, kanthal, nickel, what gauge... Onward.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Me too, Adenrele1982, me too. After engaging several days in this very timely and relevant thread you started, I keep finding more and more advice already written by JuicyLucy and others, which I missed on previous readings.

You asked for suggestions. There is a nice little thing you might find helpful, which I ordered and have just received, and look forward to trying, a coil making kit using a method which seems, to me, ingenious, and maybe fool proof. The demonstration begins at about 2:07:

Now to just figure out what kind of wire to get, kanthal, nickel, what gauge... Onward.

In my humble opinion, start with Kanthal while you educate yourself on various wire types - the choices have really expanded the past few months but not all of them are compatible with all TC mods or mechanicals and can be dangerous.

You can use Kanthal on any atty with any mod. Some of the newer TC mods will even do temp control with Kanthol, but it is my understanding that few of them do it well, but have not tried it myself.

I mainly use 28 gauge kanthal. I recently tried 26g on advice from Raymo (VUs resident coil god, lol) but I found it a little harder to work with rather than easier.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In my humble opinion, start with Kanthal while you educate yourself on various wire types - the choices have really expanded the past few months but not all of them are compatible with all TC mods or mechanicals and can be dangerous.

You can use Kanthal on any atty with any mod. Some of the newer TC mods will even do temp control with Kanthol, but it is my understanding that few of them do it well, but have not tried it myself.

I mainly use 28 gauge kanthal. I recently tried 26g on advice from Raymo (VUs resident coil god, lol) but I found it a little harder to work with rather than easier.

Thank you again JuicyLucy. I'm getting the 28 gauge. The vids for rebuilding the Aspire Nautilus coils indicate 28 gauge Kanthal too.

I ordered two of the authentic Hammer mods and am very excited to get them. For some reason the Nautilus and the replacement coils are really cheap right now so I ordered a bunch for the stockpile. The coil building videos make it look pretty uncomplicated. Even though I've acquired these fancy coil building kits, the two videos I saved show them doing it with tweezers, fingernail clippers and a tiny screwdriver. And some sort of torch, I dunno. That's the last key to the mystery. Otherwise it looks easy to get it right.

Anyway, I do plan to keep looking for a clone REO Grand LP at a low price, just to try squonking. If it works for me, then I'll be hunting for a real one at a good price. I do like that sort of homemade moonshine look of the whole thing. Very amusing, and I think it will be a more powerful vape than the Hammer.

I decided to get rid of the Noisy Cricket.

Thank you for all you contribute to this site.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thank you again JuicyLucy. I'm getting the 28 gauge. The vids for rebuilding the Aspire Nautilus coils indicate 28 gauge Kanthal too.

I ordered two of the authentic Hammer mods and am very excited to get them. For some reason the Nautilus and the replacement coils are really cheap right now so I ordered a bunch for the stockpile. The coil building videos make it look pretty uncomplicated. Even though I've acquired these fancy coil building kits, the two videos I saved show them doing it with tweezers, fingernail clippers and a tiny screwdriver. And some sort of torch, I dunno. That's the last key to the mystery. Otherwise it looks easy to get it right.

Anyway, I do plan to keep looking for a clone REO Grand LP at a low price, just to try squonking. If it works for me, then I'll be hunting for a real one at a good price. I do like that sort of homemade moonshine look of the whole thing. Very amusing, and I think it will be a more powerful vape than the Hammer.

Hammer of God Mods or the Hammer Pipe looking mod? There isnt anymore Authentic HOGs unless you bought them preowned...I would definitely run the numbers as I was duped with a HOG V1 I bought a few months ago..

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

A lot of squonkers are liking the Kanger dripbox - supposed to be pretty good bang for the buck for a starter.

I haven't bit yet though

Hammer of God Mods or the Hammer Pipe looking mod? There isnt anymore Authentic HOGs unless you bought them preowned...I would definitely run the numbers as I was duped with a HOG V1 I bought a few months ago..

The Hammer, not HOG

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
A lot of squonkers are liking the Kanger dripbox - supposed to be pretty good bang for the buck for a starter.

I haven't bit yet though

The Hammer, not HOG
Ive always wanted one...but I know it would be a shelf queen...

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Ive always wanted one...but I know it would be a shelf queen...

Supposed to be a good "see if you like it" set up for under $30. The atty supposedly leaves much to be desired

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I haven't bit yet though

The guy who sold me the Hammers suggested a Kanger dripbox too, just to see if I like squonking, but I haven't bit yet either. I have got to give the credit card a rest, for a while, quite a while. I'm satisfied for the moment that if the vapocalypse comes to pass, I have enough familiar stuff to use, and enough new stuff to practice with, to avoid buying a pack of cigarettes out of desperation. The future feels less scary.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I got two Kato Hammer mods, but those Hammer of God mods look pretty impressive, though I think you're right, only clone HOGs on the market in general. Have you seen the Point Blank mod? Gawd, wow. If I were to win the lottery...

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Actually, to me the Kato Hammer looks kind of like a medical inhaler.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The guy who sold me the Hammers suggested a Kanger dripbox too, just to see if I like squonking, but I haven't bit yet either. I have got to give the credit card a rest, for a while, quite a while. I'm satisfied for the moment that if the vapocalypse comes to pass, I have enough familiar stuff to use, and enough new stuff to practice with, to avoid buying a pack of cigarettes out of desperation. The future feels less scary.

Ah, that desperation pack of smokes - know it well. One thing for me was enough good gear on hand so that when I did run into a problem (flooded tanks, dead batteries, unexplained leak, blah, blah, blah) I could pick up another that vaped to my satisfaction.

I knew I'd gotten over a big hump when I got off an airplane without having a vape for eight hours and all my tanks were empty from the pressure drop. It would have been so much easier to grab a smoke. Instead but was able to wait till I got my setup back up and running.

I was proud of that, lol. First time I'd ever been able to use that kind of self-control when it comes to needing a nicotine fix, lol.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Danka. Some nice advise to keep in mind. :)

Ill still be selling Jewelry

Ah yes that's what you call it. :) Your builds truly do border upon artistry. Not used one yet. *chuckles* Not that I wouldn't. Although, I might simply put it on a deck just set it up to admire. :)

Anyway, I do plan to keep looking for a clone REO Grand LP at a low price, just to try squonking. If it works for me, then I'll be hunting for a real one at a good price.

Here hugo: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10015125/2760500-reo-grand-styled-mechanical-box-mod This is what I'm looking at going after, end of the month. It may not be an LP but at least it's made like a Reo, with real alu-min-um, even. :)

That and Velocity V2 style RDA clone. Will also be visiting Fat Daddy's Vapes, they carry grub screw kits, bottom feed pins for RDAs. May but a few Goon RDA and plop a bottom feed pin in them. Have a set of instructions for the Reo mod clone to make it more durable, a better choice as mod. Also going to try getting a modest stock of nicotine, PG & VG to mix up some plain unflavored nicotine juice for myself.

If you're used to evod style tanks, you may not like RDAs. You might not like direct lung hits. If you can get over yourself to go over that hump, you may enjoy it. Took me a bit to do myself, then I relaxed into it. Your lungs will not overfill themselves with vapor, you won't suffocate. Trust your body's own actions, reactions, instincts. Your body won't let you endanger it naturally, your body is life an life continually maintains itself. Relax, live. :) Now, I really fucking miss direct lung hits. I can't breathe right without them *chuckles*

Also, here's where you can get your Kanthal. I'd suggest buying from these guys and not from other vendors, unless you've someone local to help out and can trust the product. http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/search.html?&category=Resistance_Wire&c=0002006

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Some very good points Morley.

Any reason you recommend this vendor over others? Just wondering
Its the main place all the others places like Kbee and more get the wire from....KP doesnt but 99% of other manufacturers that sell Kanthal/N80 do.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Some very good points Morley.

Any reason you recommend this vendor over others? Just wondering

Well from my understanding of it, they are THE makers, producers, of if not the world's Kanthal and other electric wires, switches do dads at least they are THE ones here in America. Someone told me they originated the idea of Kanthal actually. Not sure if that is true or not, not really double checked. I just have used their product, 28g and it does well for me. I also like their prices. 50 foot of 28g for like $6, about $8 until you add flat rate shipping. They sell 100 foot spools, larger quantities as well. Think 100 foot of 28g runs $8 to $10 with shipping.

And so far, well I still have probably 40 -45 foot of my first 28g spool. *LOL* It's good wire. Coils seem to last quite a while using it. eventually, I'll cheat, get some 30g, core it with the 28, use a drill and swivels, build some Clapton, maaaaybe. Not sure, need to watch more and see just how the outer coil is kept tense over the core. Til then I'll just stay a happy little grasshopper what is content to build dual coils, nothing fancy just a wire coiled.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ah, that desperation pack of smokes - know it well. One thing for me was enough good gear on hand so that when I did run into a problem (flooded tanks, dead batteries, unexplained leak, blah, blah, blah) I could pick up another that vaped to my satisfaction.

I knew I'd gotten over a big hump when I got off an airplane without having a vape for eight hours and all my tanks were empty from the pressure drop. It would have been so much easier to grab a smoke. Instead but was able to wait till I got my setup back up and running.

I was proud of that, lol. First time I'd ever been able to use that kind of self-control when it comes to needing a nicotine fix, lol.

I vaped several weeks before knowing I would quit. I had my last cigarette the Saturday morning after Thanksgiving 2012. After one horrid day with the angel on one shoulder saying "steady" and the devil on the other shoulder saying "you know you want one", I went to bed that night knowing I'd quit smoking for good. I don't think my crisis has come yet, but if nanny takes away our vapes I'm liable to do what people do, which is destroy myself to punish nanny.

A friend of mine went back to cigarettes after quitting completely by vaping for several months. She kept trying to back down her nic, from 18 mg. to 12, to 9, then 6. Her cravings for cigarettes became more overwhelming at every decrease. I told her not to feel bad, and to try again when she's ready, but I had to explain, as I always explain to people who ask about vaping, that vaping is not a punishment or a test of your will or a fitness marathon. Vaping is to quit smoking. I explained to her, and wish I could tell those few who are not making it, the nic needs to wham your throat and give you that warm flush in the cheeks that makes you say "gawd that's good", that trying again at 18 or 12 mg. would in no way be a defeat or a compromise.

So like everybody I wish nanny would not just sit down and get comfortable in the falsehoods and the hypocrisy that prevail.

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Bliss Doubt, you are like a breadth of fresh air! Thanks for being so open to sharing. Much appreciated and useful! Checking out the video now! Vape On!

VU Sponsors