Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
https://vapenw.com/blogs/news/fda-t...-41393041&mc_cid=e17f9b0588&mc_eid=c2e33943ee

The House Oversight Committee urged the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in a letter on Wednesday to "clear the market" of e-cigarettes despite the Premarket Tobacco Application (PMTA) deadline. The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) warned Americans that “because it attacks the lungs, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 could be an especially serious threat to those who smoke tobacco … or who vape,” and smokers and vapers “could find themselves at increased risk of COVID-19 and its more serious complications.” (Fox News)

What’s a PMTA?

Back in May 2016, the FDA announced a “deeming” rule stating that the PMTA guidelines would cover both the traditional market and the vape industry. This means that any vape product manufactured after August 8th, 2016 would need to file a PMTA so that the FDA can make sure the ingredients and everything used are safe. The PMTA would then be approved or declined for the sale of these products. When the deeming rule was implemented, a deadline for August 8th, 2018 was set for vape manufacturers to submit their PMTA’s. The next year (July 2017) the new FDA Commissioner, Scott Gottlieb, announced the deadline would be postponed until August 8th, 2022. The deadline was later set to May 12th, 2020 by District Judge Paul Grimm of the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.

PMTA Delay Request

With only a few weeks left until the May 12th PMTA deadline, the FDA asked Judge Paul Grimm for a 120-day delay for vape manufacturers to submit applications and be able to keep their products on the market. Illinois's 8th congressional district Representative, Raja Krishnamoorthi, sent a letter to FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn on April 1st requesting for the FDA to “clear the market” of all vaping products, stating in the letter, “The Subcommittee is not necessarily opposing FDA’s request for a delay or suggesting that FDA divert staff away from responding to the coronavirus crisis,” “Instead, the Subcommittee is requesting that FDA clear the market of e-cigarettes during this delay. Allowing e-cigarettes to remain on the market during this period would harm children and adults throughout the country and exacerbate the coronavirus crisis in critical ways,”

Check Out Our Article: Vaping & COVID-19 What You Need to Know

Mitch Zeller, the director of the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products, said in a letter to Grimm, filed on March 30th. "The FDA remains acutely aware of the recent surge in youth use of e-cigarettes and the public health imperative to ensure that these and other deemed new tobacco products undergo premarket review," Zeller also mentioned that many companies have closed labs, factories, and offices overseas, making it difficult for companies to complete their PMTA’s on time.

Resources:

Rambaran, V. (2020). Oversight Committee urges FDA to ban e-cigarettes, vaping over coronavirus risks. Retrieved 8 April 2020, from https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oversight-committee-fda-ban-e-cigarettes-vaping-coronavirus-risks

FDA Asks Judge to Delay E-Cigarette Deadline, Citing Virus (1). (2020). Retrieved 8 April 2020, from https://news.bloomberglaw.com/healt...delay-e-cigarette-deadline-citing-coronavirus

McDonald, J. (2020). Rep. Krishnamoorthi to FDA: Ban All Vapes During PMTA Delay - Vaping360. Retrieved 8 April 2020, from https://vaping360.com/vape-news/89499/rep-krishnamoorthi-to-fda-ban-all-vapes-during-pmta-delay/

FDA Asks Court to Delay PMTA Deadline for Vapor Products. (2020). Retrieved 8 April 2020, from https://csnews.com/fda-asks-court-delay-pmta-deadline-vapor-products
Previous Post

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep all BS however vaping is still scheduled to virtually end in the US in a bit over a month. After much delayed enforcement. This was origionally scheduled to happen in 2017? I think.
And nothing vape related not on the US market prior to 8-8-2016 has ever been legal to be sold in the US..

with the pending Deeming regs enforcement, the CNY, the virus and US vape suppliers letting their supplies dwindle down due to the pending regs. and the many/most vape stores now being closed due to virus control measures.
and adding in several state and local flavor bans and such...
Well yep the perfect storm to end vaping in the US.
Extending the deadline to Sept will not really make any difference.
How many vape shops will open back up even if the deadline is extended to September?

Yeah massively sucky and just plain wrong but how it is.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Looks like Vape NW is trying to cash in on FEAR.

Sorry Steve I forgot to copy the resources for the VapeNW article-
Yes lets hope this is all BS and fear mongering- but if not......... could be really bad.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And here comes Chicken Little with Vaping is going to end...............

3qjh5z.jpg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sorry Steve I forgot to copy the resources for the VapeNW article-
Yes lets hope this is all BS and fear mongering- but if not......... could be really bad.

Years ago I heard about them and was about to buy from them when some shit went on, to which my memory fails me on but what I do remember is they are on my shit list.

VU Sponsors