Fear Street Director Wants It to Become a Horror MCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Warning: Minor spoilers follow for the Fear Street Trilogy.

[poilib element="accentDivider"]
Fear Street director Leigh Janiak has spoken about her plans to expand her recent Netflix trilogy into an MCU-style horror universe.

During an interview with IndieWire, Janiak voiced her hopes of returning to the franchise to deliver more thrills and chills in a potential future expansion of the movie trilogy, inspired by R.L. Stine's series of the same name. She spoke about potentially creating a Fear Street horror-verse that builds out from the movies to present even more era-spanning stories.

"One of the things that I talked about before I was hired was that we have a potential here to create a horror Marvel [Cinematic Universe], where you can have slasher killers from lots of different eras," Janiak said. "You have the canon of our main mythology that's built around the fact that the devil lives in Shadyside, so there's also room for everything else."

[ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2021/06/09/fear-street-a-film-trilogy-event-official-trailer"]
Fear Street Part 1: 1994 unravelled Shadyside's 300-year-old curse of gruesome spree killings. Fear Street Part 2: 1978 delved into witchy lore in search of a cure. Fear Street Part 3: 1666 teleported back to the beginning, revealing the true horror at the core of the Sarah Fier story, but Janiak said she's excited about the possibility of what comes after that ending.

"I think that my hope is that audiences like it enough that we can start building out [more], we can think about what another trilogy would be, what stand-alones would be, what TV would be," she added. "I don't even think about it like TV or movies exactly anymore. That's the great thing about Netflix and about what Fear Street is, which is kind of a hybrid new thing."

Fear Street Part 1: 1994, Fear Street Part 2: 1978, and Fear Street Part 3: 1666 are all now on Netflix. The trilogy ended on a cliffhanger, with a post-credits scene suggesting that the nightmare is far from over as the book of witchcraft fell into yet another person's hands. No doubt we'll discover more about this mysterious figure if the trilogy proves to be a hit.

[widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="slug=the-best-horror-tv-shows-on-netflix-right-now&captions=true"]
At the start of the year, Netflix vowed to release at least one new movie a week throughout 2021 for a total of at least 70. Fear Street was one of the projects announced as part of that line-up, together with several large-scale, star-driven movies like Red Notice and Don't Look Up, which appeared on the streaming service's sizzle reel for its 2021 movie slate.

[poilib element="accentDivider"]
Adele Ankers is a freelance writer for IGN. Follow her on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors