TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey guys,

I'm using Fiber Freaks precut cellulose wicks and I'm finding after dripping they're totally collapsing. After looking at a lot of pictures of other people using cotton wicks they seem to remain fluffy and nice looking. I had to reduce the amount of wicking material I was using because it wasn't be absorbed properly after being too tightly stuffed in the juice well and now that I'm using less wick the collapsing is getting worse. Do any of you guys use Fiber Freaks wicks? If so do they collapse on you as well or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've never used Fiber Freaks but looking at their website it seems to be very much like vaping with Rayon which I do use. Rayon will shrink so I always use way more than I think I'll need through the coil. You want enough for it to put up a fuss to pull through the coil, but trim it way back at the juice well as less is more when it comes to transferring the juice to the coil. I can vape my wicks almost totally dry without any charring and it's a white as brand new.
Here's what I use. 500ft for around $13 and I'm pretty much set for life wick wise. You can get this at sally Beauty Supply.

texasbeautysupplycom_2271_359721909.jpg

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been working on a box of Cellucotton for over a year now and hardly dented it. But like Mark said pack it in there almost to the point of deforming the coil sometimes I'll get it to squeak as it slides through the coil. I love the stuff.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the reply guys. I'll definitely be using more wick now on and I'll stay away from the precuts as they are just to thin and small.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One trick i figured out with rayon is instead of manually fluffing the ends with a pick or other device, after you cut to length simply blow directly on the cut end with a quick breath and it will spread the fibers wide open. Neat trick. And yes, with rayon, more is more.

In my experience with it, it works well with rda's and tanks but not super well with longer wick tanks like genesis style (limitless rdta for example) for whatever reason. So had to rock cotton in those.

I feel like rayon gives the purest flavor of the juice. Cotton kinda mutes it a bit. Cotton can mask a bad juice somewhat. Rayon tells the truth.

Dry hit on rayon not recommended. Much more off-putting than cotton in that regard.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
More info on using rayon. There's about two, or three threads where using rayon is discussed at length. At one time I had used and had been a member of the Ready-X church. In summary, switched to rayon and read so much more about how to wick proper with it. For my own preference and risk consideration, Ready-X wick was left, consider you possibly vape ceramic material on a wick. I chose to not risk clay lungs. Not saying there is or isn't that risk, merely that for me, I chose to eliminate the possibility

The nutshell of Rayon Wicks

Always use more than you think you'll need.
Give the wick "shoulders" butting up against the ends of the coils.
Keep it as puffy/poofy as you can.
Pull the wick through so that it cascades like waterfalls into the well/s.
Spread the fibers thinner and thinner towards the ends, like tree roots.

Understand you can vape rayon until it feels nearly dry and still not dry hit. Be aware of this in the sense that you understand your juice flavors, when they change over from popping to "ugh" you'll want to wet the wick but you still have a few hits before "OMFG! DRY BURN!" Personally, I squonk and so am giving one or two squonks every six to ten hits or so and not having any dry burns. I take rather large direct lung hits too. If you just drip I would suggest dripping about every six or so hits, there is a differential between squonking and dripping.

VU Sponsors