Become a Patron!

Fiber Freaks : the next cotton?

Hey there, as promised in my intro thread, here is a my first video i made a week ago.

It is about a new product named Fiber Freaks, some samples were released at the Vapexpo exhibition September 2014 in Paris.

Cheers!
Billy.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
looks like rayon or cellucotton

I asked Mahood about Rayon some times ago, he told me that Lyocell is a particular form of "viscose" (or Rayon which is a generic term for manufactured cellulose). Other "rayon" types can be made out of loads of chemical process (cellucoton is one of these).

Well for the moment i'm not thoroughly informed about other Rayon types, but the process Fiber Freaks is using seems quite reassuring to me!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I tried Rayon from Sallys I have a big box here its horrid it tastes weird kinda tastes the way Lysol smells unless a Sallys employee sprayed it I am staying with Jap Cotton no more weeds from a field not more Hemp or Hemp rope or any derivatives If I want to vape and I have nothing else I will use a torch a spoon
before I ever use Rayon again...

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would ask what makes this fellow a qualified expert on either wick density or flow? I better trust Busardo's demonstration even if informal and somewhat simple. Just sayin'.

Good luck.

:)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would ask what makes this fellow a qualified expert on either wick density or flow? I better trust Busardo's demonstration even if informal and somewhat simple. Just sayin'.

Good luck.

I myself have tried all the gimmicks everyone as I like to try stuff as a hobby this is my hobby to keep me from ever going back to smoking I have yet to find anything that is any better than cotton maybe nanotube firing whatever but I am never using any synthetic cotton hahah ever again...

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I asked Mahood about Rayon some times ago, he told me that Lyocell is a particular form of "viscose" (or Rayon which is a generic term for manufactured cellulose). Other "rayon" types can be made out of loads of chemical process (cellucoton is one of these).

Well for the moment i'm not thoroughly informed about other Rayon types, but the process Fiber Freaks is using seems quite reassuring to me!
Well if its not processed that way that crap is from Sallys I may try it .. but if I taste that taste I seriously will pukke this time I almost did last time

I tried Rayon from Sallys I have a big box here its horrid it tastes weird kinda tastes the way Lysol smells unless a Sallys employee sprayed it I am staying with Jap Cotton no more weeds from a field not more Hemp or Hemp rope or any derivatives If I want to vape and I have nothing else I will use a torch a spoon
before I ever use Rayon again...

Well Rayon is just another name for "man made cellulose", same for e-liquid, atomizers and mods, some a well made, some are just... garbage. You certainly have tried a Rayon that is either not pure, badly cleaned with chemical residues if chemically processed, or just not sterilized. I have not tried Rayon before the Fiber Freaks, so i can only assume. Still the "Rayon" made by FF is just of a top quality imho. :)

Well for this video i first wanted to show how quick, or how much liquid different material could absorb. Then i realized there is no point absorbing liquid if you can't deliver it back when solicited. I believe you got the wrong idea about all this and I feel very sorry my video sounded like i was a kind of expert or whatever, this was not the objective at all... Just tried to be informative... :/

I also mentioned in my video that the close-up experiment wasn't there to show evidence or prove anything, and this was the best way i found to just try and show the different densities of the materials on screen. It is to my opinion, better to show it that way than just vaping with it as vapour production is very hardware dependent.

I'm merely doing my thing here on this youtube channel, just trying to present/show/review new stuff coming out of France, again, not trying to prove anything... i'm a bit on the defensive there and i'm starting to think it was a bad idea sharing my videos on forums.

Anyway, I haven't seen busardo's demonstration but i'd be very interested in seeing that if you've got a link :)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well Rayon is just another name for "man made cellulose", same for e-liquid, atomizers and mods, some a well made, some are just... garbage. You certainly have tried a Rayon that is either not pure, badly cleaned with chemical residues if chemically processed, or just not sterilized. I have not tried Rayon before the Fiber Freaks, so i can only assume. Still the "Rayon" made by FF is just of a top quality imho. :)

Well for this video i first wanted to show how quick, or how much liquid different material could absorb. Then i realized there is no point absorbing liquid if you can't deliver it back when solicited. I believe you got the wrong idea about all this and I feel very sorry my video sounded like i was a kind of expert or whatever, this was not the objective at all... Just tried to be informative... :/

I also mentioned in my video that the close-up experiment wasn't there to show evidence or prove anything, and this was the best way i found to just try and show the different densities of the materials on screen. It is to my opinion, better then just vaping with it as this part is very hardware dependent.

I'm merely doing my thing here on this youtube channel, just trying to present/show/review new stuff coming out of France, again, not trying to prove anything...

I haven't seen busardo's demonstration but i'd be very interested in seeing that if you've got a link :)
I understand man I do not think anyone was attacking you I think the person giving the speech was... Hell if it does not taste like the Rayon from Sallys I am all for trying something new... I did not get the link do you have it?

I understand man I do not think anyone was attacking you I think the person giving the speech was... Hell if it does not taste like the Rayon from Sallys I am all for trying something new... I did not get the link do you have it?

No problem mate, i'm surely being too sensitive over small stuff as it was my very first video. After releasing it i was really afraid it would sound like a commercial or trying to sell the product, while i just discovered it at an exhibition, bought two packs for myself and made a video out of excitement! :eek:

Anyway, what link are you talking about? If you're referring to Fiber Freaks i believe i put all the links on the youtube video, but you're making me doubt there :confused:

EDIT: oh you're talking about Busardo's link, nope don't have it!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
YOu are good man... sometimes someone will get defensive it happens here but thats the great thing about VU debate is good .. It brings out sometimes things none of us think of. haha I just like to remember that its only a forum no one can kill me though the monitor not yet atleast.
I have very dark humour and others do not get it sometimes and I do not care... haha

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I almost wonder if natural sponges would work.
Hell I am half tempted to dig out some blue foam and cram it in a sub ohm coil and get it dripping to see if it will wick better.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I also mentioned in my video that the close-up experiment wasn't there to show evidence or prove anything, and this was the best way i found to just try and show the different densities of the materials on screen. It is to my opinion, better to show it that way than just vaping with it as vapour production is very hardware dependent.

I'm merely doing my thing here on this youtube channel, just trying to present/show/review new stuff coming out of France, again, not trying to prove anything... i'm a bit on the defensive there and i'm starting to think it was a bad idea sharing my videos on forums.

Anyway, I haven't seen busardo's demonstration but i'd be very interested in seeing that if you've got a link :)

Here's the video link Billy. I hope it's helpful.

A PBusardo Video - Wick Testing - Organic Cotton, Hemp, Japanese Cotton, & Rayon - YouTube

I'm not a materials expert either. However, I have a background in industrial materials logistics (purchasing) at the corporate int'l level. No wicks are not my specialty either. But I've had occasion to test more than the average Joe over the course of the last year. If you can appreciate watching this video just how time consuming that can be for just a few builds you may understand where I'm coming from.

I would merely affirm your own observation that perhaps saturation does not necessarily equate to "delivery". Stated another way if density equates to saturation, a loosely packed material does not necessarily flow faster than a densely packed one. I think Busardo's test demonstrates that elegantly if simply. And loose density materials don't necessarily saturate well either as evident from the organic cotton which vapes just fine for many of us including Pete B.

In my experience you must densely pack rayon in a coil compared to cotton to approximate the latter's flow. Another example is silica's permeability but Ekowool although denser exceeds its apparent flow. In practice I've found the higher density you can achieve in a media for vaping at the coil and without crimping it, the greater the vaporization potential.

What makes all organics difficult as wick media is the unpredictability of their density. It takes skill to determine what that should be for every juice and every wind. This is why there's a market for synthetics. The experience is more easily repeatable when using a media that is suitable to the juices you like.

Good luck.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I almost wonder if natural sponges would work.
Hell I am half tempted to dig out some blue foam and cram it in a sub ohm coil and get it dripping to see if it will wick better.
@BigNasty Dude you might get awful sick "you may need to call 911 and maybe a hearse". Movie: Slingblade

Here's the video link Billy. I hope it's helpful.

A PBusardo Video - Wick Testing - Organic Cotton, Hemp, Japanese Cotton, & Rayon - YouTube

I'm not a materials expert either. However, I have a background in industrial materials logistics (purchasing) at the corporate int'l level. No wicks are not my specialty either. But I've had occasion to test more than the average Joe over the course of the last year. If you can appreciate watching this video just how time consuming that can be for just a few builds you may understand where I'm coming from.

I would merely affirm your own observation that perhaps saturation does not necessarily equate to "delivery". Stated another way if density equates to saturation, a loosely packed material does not necessarily flow faster than a densely packed one. I think Busardo's test demonstrates that elegantly if simply. And loose density materials don't necessarily saturate well either as evident from the organic cotton which vapes just fine for many of us including Pete B.

In my experience you must densely pack rayon in a coil compared to cotton to approximate the latter's flow. Another example is silica's permeability but Ekowool although denser exceeds its apparent flow. In practice I've found the higher density you can achieve in a media for vaping at the coil and without crimping it, the greater the vaporization potential.

What makes all organics difficult as wick media is the unpredictability of their density. It takes skill to determine what that should be for every juice and every wind. This is why there's a market for synthetics. The experience is more easily repeatable when using a media that is suitable to the juices you like.

Good luck.

Thank you for sharing that video, i understand why you're comparing both videos now. Still, you can't compare the Rayon PBusardo used to the one i presented, as soon as i saw his burnt test, i tried myself, and the Fiber Freaks burns to ashes pretty similar to the way his KohGenDo cotton does, to ashes...
Main difference is that my video was about a new type of Rayon without knowing there were already other types of Rayon available on the market, while PBusardo just tried an objective video with the material that was available at that time, and i believe he did quite some things right.

Again, Rayon is just a generic term for "man made cellulose fiber". Different types of Rayon, produces, purified and sterilized in a different way gives different results, similar to brewing a good beer or a bad beer, or wine, if i dare to compare.

VU Sponsors