Become a Patron!

Finally Found A Great Coconut-based VG

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Will not buy palm-based VG due to deforestation (RSPO makes no difference, the palm tree is not a sustainable crop by definition - can read about the RSPO by Googling.)

What I really wanted was a coconut-based VG - avoids the GMO/fertilizers/estrogen associated with soy - and coconut is also a sustainable crop.

Well I tried one organic USP brand and it tasted awful - a super strong burnt BBQ taste.

Was willing to try one more, so ordered Wildly Organic USP coconut-based VG and it just arrived today and it's fantastic! It has a sweet, mild taste that easily gives way to any added flavoring. FTR I vape TFA Caramel with very little flavoring, in 100% VG and this stuff is very clean with very little taste of its own. When I add the caramel can't taste it at all, but even on it's own without any flavoring it has a slight, clean, sweet taste.

For me there is no other VG from now on!

If interested a couple notes that might save you time (and maybe money)...

Amazon sells this but it's currently marked up to $44/gal maybe because they are out of stock. But you can go directly to the https://wildlyorganic.com/products/vegetable-glycerine?variant=31331118743654 Wildly Organic website and find it in a 1g jug for $29.99 and free shipping for the first two orders. They also give a 10% discount on the first order (at this time anyway). I ordered directly from them and it arrived well packed in a nice BPA-free jug.

Also, I emailed them before I ordered, because although their description says it's USP, the label on the product (pictured) did not. They responded within 24hrs and explained their were told by their supplier (in the Philippines) it was USP after they already designed their label. I wrote back asking if they're just taking the supplier's word for it, or is there an analysis certificate. They immediately responded with a PDF of the certificate and it IS USP grade 99.7%... and now that I have it in hand, it certainly tastes like it. (Because I have tried some "UPS" soy and coconut VG that tasted like it was NOT!)

One final thing - for those who only want organic, the name of the company is Wildly Organic but there is no indication the coconuts are grown organically. No USDA seal and no statement it's organic. Just so the two aren't conflated.

EDIT: On that last point, it seems coconuts are a crop you don't have to worry about buying organic, if this article is any indication. https://www.marksdailyapple.com/7-foods-you-dont-need-to-buy-organic/

Last edited:

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Forgot to mention - I also buy 2g at a time (but ordered 1 this time to see if it was good) and it's always free shipping on orders over $49, so two gallons will always be free shipping.

They also reward with points whenever you buy something, that can be applied to future purchases.

...and the expiry date is 2/11/2026 on the jug I got! And the BPA-free jug is also opaque. (VG does break down if exposed to light, so it's nice they have it in opaque jugs!) In 6 years of vaping I never got any VG in an opaque jug! It also pours nicely.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Just ordered 2 gallons of this.
Total of a little over $50 with the discounts.
Thanks for the info

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Just received this today. Jugs are sealed and packed very well. Twice as sweet as the LB i usually use. $50.99 Shipped. Arrived in 2 days. Mixed a 100VG Strawberry and vapes fine.Wildly Organic VG 002.JPGWildly Organic VG 003.JPG
Wildly Organic VG 001.JPG

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just received this today. Jugs are sealed and packed very well. Twice as sweet as the LB i usually use. $50.99 Shipped. Arrived in 2 days. Mixed a 100VG Strawberry and vapes fine.

LB - which brand is that, if you don't mind my asking. Couldn't tell if "twice as sweet" was a bad thing or just an observation.

I vaped DUDA soy-based beforehand, which I got in 2018, but when it ran out while I was looking for this stuff, I vaped old ED VG that I had stashed away from years prior before I learned about palm oil. So I came from that and didn't notice the coconut being much sweeter. But again, everyone's taste buds are different. Hope you like it though. (Strawberry sounds nice right now!)

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
LB - which brand is that, if you don't mind my asking. Couldn't tell if "twice as sweet" was a bad thing or just an observation.

I vaped DUDA soy-based beforehand, which I got in 2018, but when it ran out while I was looking for this stuff, I vaped old ED VG that I had stashed away from years prior before I learned about palm oil. So I came from that and didn't notice the coconut being much sweeter. But again, everyone's taste buds are different. Hope you like it though. (Strawberry sounds nice right now!)
LB is liquid Barn. It's palm based if 8 remember right. This stuff is sweeter to me anyway. Sorry for no link. I'm on my phone and it's almost as old as I am.
You can go on Wildly Organic website.
Look under coconut products in the menu.
You'll find a liter bottle. Click on that to see the gallon option.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
LB is liquid Barn. It's palm based if 8 remember right. This stuff is sweeter to me anyway. Sorry for no link. I'm on my phone and it's almost as old as I am.
You can go on Wildly Organic website.
Look under coconut products in the menu.
You'll find a liter bottle. Click on that to see the gallon option.
No problem, I'm the OP and have the Wildly Organic VG already. :)

Will not buy palm-based VG due to deforestation (RSPO makes no difference, the palm tree is not a sustainable crop by definition - can read about the RSPO by Googling.)

Hi "11" and thank you for all the info in this thread. It's very refreshing to come across someone both eco-conscious and proactive in their search for quality, rather than the next bargain.

I'm new to DIY and still on the hunt for palm/corn/soy-free certified organic USP grade VG (either coconut or flaxseed based). With most organic VG vendors seemingly based in the US, it does not help to shop from the UK.

As far as commercial organic juices, I've only vaped Kind Juice so far, and that's the level of VG quality I'm looking for to DIY with. Rich, dense and pure (no scent/no aftertaste) clouds. So, I'm wondering if Wildly's would tick all the boxes. I'd appreciate any comments from a seasoned DIY-er like yourself.

Also, if you or anyone else here would like to share any other tested and reliable source of certified organic USP VG here (or via a PM), we could build a handy reference point for other eco-conscious vapers.

The names I've seen mentioned on other forums include:
Jedwards International, Inc.;
From Nature With Love (insane shipping cost);
New Direction Aromatics;
but I haven't bought from any of those sources yet. If anyone here has, please share your thoughts. :)

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You can get coconut based VG from Wildly Organic in the USA. It’s good shit.
All I use

Not all is well in paradise. Coconut doesn't sound so ecological at all...

"Today, coconut oil is being labeled as a green alternative to replace palm oil. In fact, there is a direct connection between the two crops, and that’s one of the reasons that UCAP and others in the Philippines are pushing coconut oil as a biofuel.

“Because the price of palm oil is very cheap, it has replaced the cooking oil demand for coconut oil,” said Agustin.

The Philippines has been importing greater amounts of cheap palm oil from its neighboring countries, and cost-conscious consumers are choosing it over domestic coconut oil. Lower demand has led to falling coconut oil prices. The solution put forward by large growers and traders? Do as palm oil did, forcing it as a biofuel source under a green banner. There is concern from environmentalists that adding another tropical food crop to the global biofuels mix could result in more tropical land being burned and cleared to produce fuels, not food."

From here: https://rainforestjournalismfund.org/stories/coconut-oil-could-be-next-disastrous-biofuel

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The only VG I used before was from Liquid Barn but they quit selling gallons some time ago so Wildly Organic is what I get now. I buy 4 gals at a time and they ship free

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Seven Minerals organic coconut vg is good shit too. I buy that from Amazon. Expensive tho. Gucci Vg.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, Jimi D. Says neither USDA nor USP on the label, though (?)
Nah.. That doesn’t bother me at all. I’ve vaped Now vg for years. That has no USP as well. So far I’ve had great results from the Seven Minerals.

Nah.. That doesn’t bother me at all. I’ve vaped Now vg for years. That has no USP as well. So far I’ve had great results from the Seven Minerals.

I really appreciate that comment, Jimi, thanks. I've been tentatively eyeing Now VG myself as quite a few people seem to be using it. But because it's palm derived, I keep looking elsewhere.
Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how Now and Seven compare taste/quality wise. Cheers! :)

The only VG I used before was from Liquid Barn but they quit selling gallons some time ago so Wildly Organic is what I get now. I buy 4 gals at a time and they ship free

As far as I've gathered from forums, Liquid Barn sources their VG from the big industry boys - Musim Mas, hence it's most probably not organic, although high quality/purity for sure.
Since you've tried both, I'd be very interested to hear how LB's compares to Wildly's, in your view. Cheers! :)

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I really appreciate that comment, Jimi, thanks. I've been tentatively eyeing Now VG myself as quite a few people seem to be using it. But because it's palm derived, I keep looking elsewhere.
Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how Now and Seven compare taste/quality wise. Cheers! :)
I was really impressed on the Seven’s taste. It’s probably the sweetest I’ve had. It’s very clean. The only coconut derived vg I had was from RTS years ago. The RTS was very thick. The Seven is a bit thinner. I’m very happy with the Seven. 🙂

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not all is well in paradise. Coconut doesn't sound so ecological at all...

"Today, coconut oil is being labeled as a green alternative to replace palm oil. In fact, there is a direct connection between the two crops, and that’s one of the reasons that UCAP and others in the Philippines are pushing coconut oil as a biofuel.

[...]

From here: https://rainforestjournalismfund.org/stories/coconut-oil-could-be-next-disastrous-biofuel
This was very disappointing to read, and I researched a little more after I read it.

Seems after the public backlash against palm oil and push for coconut, there is all kinds of 'bad' info out about coconut now, not being any better. Some of this I believe is researched, paid for and backed by the palm industry, trying to bruise the competition. Coconut DOES have some pluses over palm - for one coconut farms don't just produce oil, but milk, water, and all kinds of other products. Also, coconut farms have other crops grown in among the coconut trees, unlike palm oil farms.

But it's really 'the lesser of two evils' if they are now plowing down jungles to grow more coconut due to people switching from palm (trying to be a conscientious citizen!). If the argument is which one is deforesting less, or wiping out less species, that's a non-starter to begin with. Esp since it isn't "one or the other" but BOTH industries making their mark on the environment.

But the world is not going to stop using palm and coconut oils. They're put in everything from toothpaste to shampoo to food. Industries use them in abundance and that isn't going to change. (Too bad they can't synthesize it in a lab!)

Vapers - as many of us as there are - only account for a tiny fraction of the VG used in today's world. If everyone stopped vaping this second, there would be no real dent in the market at the global wholesale level. (Still don't want to contribute to deforestation if I can help it, just on principle.) Yet I would also have to stop using every product in my household that contains VG to completely 'stop supporting it.' IOW, this has to be fixed at the top. It's virtually impossible to stop using palm oil especially. I don't buy a product when I notice it, but it's everywhere and I don't read every label of everything I buy.

Public outcry does eventually hold industries accountable, and it is causing changes to be made. Not enough, and not fast enough, but the wheels turn slowly when money greases them to spin the other way. :( One saving grace about jungles is they quickly bounce back and overtake abandon land, when allowed. If they are allowed.

We are unfortunately at a time in history where the human race hasn't yet learned how to manage the resources of this beautiful planet with intelligence and compassion. Made worse by the fact that the impetus for people agreeing to be the ones out there actually plowing down the jungles is to put food on their tables, as the people who *work* on these farms are the poorest of the poor.

For myself, I might look for organic soy VG next time, just cause. At least jungles aren't being plowed to plant soy. We grow that right here on the plains. But if I can't find it, then I'll stick with Wildly Organic coconut VG for now and hope the industry will continue righting itself from all the pressure and outcry - knowing I am party to the palm/oil crisis no matter what VG I buy, like it or not. :(

Last edited:

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
How about all the other shit you use in your daily activities? Are you going to stop using gas, electricity, etc ? Most of what we use has a negative effect on the world but we just have to deal with it. It’s not a perfect world and it’s not going to change for the better!. I wouldn’t worry about using a couple of fucking coconuts to make your VG.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
How about all the other shit you use in your daily activities? Are you going to stop using gas, electricity, etc ? Most of what we use has a negative effect on the world but we just have to deal with it. It’s not a perfect world and it’s not going to change for the better!. I wouldn’t worry about using a couple of fucking coconuts to make your VG.
Yeah, that was kinda my point. In today's world we are beholden to being party to lots of things we might not want to be party to, by virtue of the fact of being alive. Can't get around it. Which is why I will continue to buy Wildly Organic cocnut VG (I started this thread to hail it's wonders ;) ) if I can't find organic soy - or if I do find organic soy and it tastes like shit and isn't vapable.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How's Seven Minerals and Wildly Organic stacking up these days?

Seven Minerals -
I see a few reviews on Amazon saying this has a strong unpleasant taste to it and that it's not good to vape...

Wildly Organic -
y'all were talking $30 a gallon for this 2 years ago but it's up to almost $60 a gallon now!
10% off and Free ship on first order with code FIRST ORDER... but still pretty MF expensive!

I'm all for sustainability unless it tastes like shit and costs 5 times as much!

Anyone find any other brands of coconut glycerine? Am in need and thought I'd give coconut based a try.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am very interested in this discussion (but at the moment not so concerned about the other issues... yes I do care and eventually will consider all these issues)
I am very happy with Essential Depot VG.
My issue is with PG (yes... getting off topic) but I got some crappy PG and finally realize that was the "broken link" in my mixing. Please PM me if you have suggestions on PG.
When I run low on VG, I will come back to this thread (still very interested) Carry on...

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am very interested in this discussion (but at the moment not so concerned about the other issues... yes I do care and eventually will consider all these issues)
I am very happy with Essential Depot VG.
My issue is with PG (yes... getting off topic) but I got some crappy PG and finally realize that was the "broken link" in my mixing. Please PM me if you have suggestions on PG.
When I run low on VG, I will come back to this thread (still very interested) Carry on...
image.jpg
I’ve been using this from Amazon, comes in a 2/pack can’t remember the price but it wasn’t expensive. I forgot to order PG when I ordered VG from Bull City. the quality seems to be good I don’t notice any difference from using this compared to the Essential Depot PG.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
View attachment 201128
I’ve been using this from Amazon, comes in a 2/pack can’t remember the price but it wasn’t expensive. I forgot to order PG when I ordered VG from Bull City. the quality seems to be good I don’t notice any difference from using this compared to the Essential Depot PG.
Are you saying this PG is good? You mentioned that you are having issues with bad PG, so I just wanted to clarify if you are saying this brand is good or bad??

I use Essential Depot too, but use very little PG and still have 2/3 of a pint left. hoping they get the pints back in stock B4 I need any but if not, I'll probably just get some from BCF to be safe.

I went through a whole quart of VG but only used 1/3 pint of VG in same time period. My mixes generally get 0-3g of PG but 22-25g of VG per 30ml mix. At this rate, a pint of PG will last me several years. Got about 9 months out of a liter of VG.

The wildly organic VG was $22 plus $10 ship but I got free ship on first order with sign up... Still - even at $32 for a 9 month supply isn't over the top.... Double the price of ED VG at Amazon but being that it lasts me 9 months, it's not stupid expensive.

Since the WO VG is in glass, I got some lab grade boro glass droppers, hoping it draws up ok. Used to just squeeze the VG right out of the liter bottle but since this is glass, that's no longer an option. Could pour it into plastic but figured I'd go the extra $10 for glass droppers... Since they made the effort to put it in non leaching glass.

Though I mix into plastic - doh! Now I feel like I should switch everything over to glass 🤣

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you saying this PG is good? You mentioned that you are having issues with bad PG, so I just wanted to clarify if you are saying this brand is good or bad??

I use Essential Depot too, but use very little PG and still have 2/3 of a pint left. hoping they get the pints back in stock B4 I need any but if not, I'll probably just get some from BCF to be safe.

I went through a whole quart of VG but only used 1/3 pint of VG in same time period. My mixes generally get 0-3g of PG but 22-25g of VG per 30ml mix. At this rate, a pint of PG will last me several years. Got about 9 months out of a liter of VG.

The wildly organic VG was $22 plus $10 ship but I got free ship on first order with sign up... Still - even at $32 for a 9 month supply isn't over the top.... Double the price of ED VG at Amazon but being that it lasts me 9 months, it's not stupid expensive.

Since the WO VG is in glass, I got some lab grade boro glass droppers, hoping it draws up ok. Used to just squeeze the VG right out of the liter bottle but since this is glass, that's no longer an option. Could pour it into plastic but figured I'd go the extra $10 for glass droppers... Since they made the effort to put it in non leaching glass.

Though I mix into plastic - doh! Now I feel like I should switch everything over to glass 🤣
I’m not having issues with bad PG it was VapeOn1960. The PG I mentioned from Amazon is good. I can’t tell the difference from any other brand I’ve used.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I want to clarify a few things:
I apologize to the OP (person who started this thread... "original poster") I spun off into talking about PG (I assumed we might talk about both VG and PG)
Also my (panic) order from Amazon was a temporary fix (until I can find a good PG in larger quantities)
It is possible my PG may have gone bad over the summer (long story... my room can often be 90 deg F for months) I use much more VG, so had restocked that with a fresh quart (basically a liter)
Side note: when I first did DIY, I got 48 mg/ml nic in PG. Mixed that with VG and added flavors. It was a simple mixing ratio (12 mg base) and didn't need to buy PG (just VG that I got at the local drug store) It was so easy... I miss that. Now I'm doing 6 mg, 12 mg (sometimes 9 mg... just use both "half and half") Complicated recipes with too many flavors (too much PG at that point) Some of the prices on Amazon may seem high to those of you that get gallons and such, but with free shipping (and compared to buying "pre-made" juices is still cheap)
Back to OP... I will look into the coconut based VG... thank you.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I apologize to the OP
I'm not the OP but, personally, don't see any issue talking about both on one thread - they def go hand in hand!

As for the Wildly Organic Coconut based VG - It MOST DEFINITELY imparts a mild coconut flavor!!! I will be going back to Essential Depot VG!!! Would prob be great in a mix that has coconut in it but makes my Mango Dragon and Mango Lemonade juices taste funny!

VU Sponsors