Become a Patron!

Finally got my Kayfun build the way I like it

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
People weren't kidding when they say it takes some tweaking and trial and error to get the KFL to work right. Tried many different ways but seem to always get eventual muted flavor or dry hits. I had been trying 2.4mm and 3mm coils with doubled over P&C yarn. So this time I did it a little different.

30ga kanthal 9/8 wraps on a 2mm screwdriver for around 2.0Ω - 2.1Ω
1 single piece of P&C yarn

So far flavor is nice. No flooding or dry hits on 60PG/40VG juice. I just rebuilt my other one like this and it is working good too.

Kang

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Woohoo! Love me some kayfun. Once set up properly they're amazing for mouth to lung pulls. Flavor is nice as hell just wish they weren't so tall. I'm thinking about getting a nano kit for mine. Mine is currently set up at 1 ohm and it's a great vape.

Vape on!

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like it's time to tear it down and try something else. have you tried a chimney yet? That's my favorite kf build

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like it's time to tear it down and try something else. have you tried a chimney yet? That's my favorite kf build
I tried building the chimney coil once stabbed my fat fingers that kept getting in the way and swore off it. May give it another go sometime in the future.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
QUOTE="Bahas, post: 14038, member: 111"]I tried building the chimney coil once stabbed my fat fingers that kept getting in the way and swore off it. May give it another go sometime in the future.[/QUOTE]
Its a bitch that's for sure. But I think it puts out better than anything else I tried.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well I thought I had my build right. Apparently not. First tank was fine. Second tank not so much. Now I am getting dry hits again. And sometimes getting very little vapor but not a dry hit. It is firing but I am not getting anything. Weird. Wish this thing was as easy and trouble free as my Taifun GT.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For the 2ohm Kayfun builders, curious to know what device/power you are running that at.
My sweet spot is 1.2 ohms off a mechanical mod, but have tried various builds as low as .7ohm on a DNA device and as high as 1.8ohms off a VV/VW mod.

For me, the higher resistance builds felt like the Kayfun was struggling to produce nice vapor, and the subohm build was too much throat hit and not enough flavor. ;)

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
For the 2ohm Kayfun builders, curious to know what device/power you are running that at.
My sweet spot is 1.2 ohms off a mechanical mod, but have tried various builds as low as .7ohm on a DNA device and as high as 1.8ohms off a VV/VW mod.

For me, the higher resistance builds felt like the Kayfun was struggling to produce nice vapor, and the subohm build was too much throat hit and not enough flavor. ;)

Ok maybe that could be the issue. I'm running 2.0Ω - 2.6Ω coils on a Provari at around 9w. The recent ones have been closer to 2.4Ω - 2.6Ω.

Kevin2112

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm using 28 gauge with cotton at 1.9 ohms on my seven22 . At 15 watts it gives me 5.33 volts. Good vapor, flavor and warm with no dry hits. The 28 gauge wire also seems to be very durable when dry burning without the wick for cleaning

supermarket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I personally think the kayfun shines at 0.8-1.2 ohms. Anything above 1.6ohms just isn't really that enjoyable on the kayfun for me, considering how fantastic it is at 1.6 or lower.

I use 26g, and build to around .8-1.2, with rolled cotton from CVS...couldn't be happier. Never run into any issues

Mtlblade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
to much wicking can cause dry hits. you want the wick to just sit on top of the juice channels not pushed into them or sticking out of the chimney.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have had great success with using 32 guage in my KFL+. With these, less is more when it comes to the wick. Like Mtlblade said, you just want enough wick to sit on top of the juice channels.

And I have yet to have had a dry hit.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok trying different build. Back to 28ga on a 2.4mm running 1.5Ω. Doubled over wick running about 10w. First few pulls are ok. Let's see how long this lasts.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rebuilt mine using a simple short wick (barely enough to touch the base) of ReadyxWick with 30 gauge microcoil; testing around 2Ω and it seems to be working beautifully, although just a touch on the dry side.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok piss on these damn things. Just when I think I have a good build it all of a sudden goes dry on me. It is like it is struggling to get juice. I know I do not have too much wick and I know I am not choking the juice channels. If I give it a few primer puffs it is ok. But really tired of always having to do that. I'm about ready to throw in the towel. The worst part is the ones that are giving me the most trouble are still the EHPro KFL+ v2's. The cheapo angelcigs one works great. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that one does not have afc.

Reactions: jae

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As long as your wick doesn't block the fluid channels, and as long as it still touches the base enough to actually wick, and as long as you're not choking the wick with a tighter-than-necessary coil, then you theoretically shouldn't have problems with dry hits. So
  • make the coil just a little on the loose side
  • keep the wick a little longer than the distance from the coil to the base (if it's thick) or long enough to take up a little bit of that space by curling it under a little (if it's thin)
  • i forgot what this one was
  • cram that wick down into the well with, i dunno, tiny screwdriver maybe one of these or something
  • but keep it open enough that the channel is still free to feed juice into the chamber

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
As long as your wick doesn't block the fluid channels, and as long as it still touches the base enough to actually wick, and as long as you're not choking the wick with a tighter-than-necessary coil, then you theoretically shouldn't have problems with dry hits. So
  • make the coil just a little on the loose side
  • keep the wick a little longer than the distance from the coil to the base (if it's thick) or long enough to take up a little bit of that space by curling it under a little (if it's thin)
  • i forgot what this one was
  • cram that wick down into the well with, i dunno, tiny screwdriver maybe one of these or something
  • but keep it open enough that the channel is still free to feed juice into the chamber

LOL

• Coil is a little on the loose side
  • Wick touches the base
  • The wick fills the area above the channels but does not block them
banghead.gif

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL

• Coil is a little on the loose side
  • Wick touches the base
  • The wick fills the area above the channels but does not block them
View attachment 1506
Great Dobbs in Dobbstown! What are you using for wick? Still the yarn? Try something different or fluff it out a little or something. It must be the wicking media isn't doing a great job wicking or something.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Great Dobbs in Dobbstown! What are you using for wick? Still the yarn? Try something different or fluff it out a little or something. It must be the wicking media isn't doing a great job wicking or something.

Still using the yarn. After I run the wick and dab with juice I can get the ends to the consistency of using shredded cotton by fluffing it with the needled of my bottles. As I said the funny part is my angelcigs KFL without AFC works fine. It is the two from EHPro with afc that are giving me the most trouble.

Last night I actually tried turning the afc screws much further in giving a tighter draw. Seems to have helped a little for now. No dry hits. But who knows how long that will last. Which brings me to a question. How far can you turn the screws in. Will they eventually stop. I don't wanna drive them too far in and have them lose the threading on the inside.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I personally think the kayfun shines at 0.8-1.2 ohms. Anything above 1.6ohms just isn't really that enjoyable on the kayfun for me, considering how fantastic it is at 1.6 or lower.

I use 26g, and build to around .8-1.2, with rolled cotton from CVS...couldn't be happier. Never run into any issues

Agreed here.. I stay at around 1.1-1.2 and it gives me the perfect hit at 6mg. I've never had a problem building it out, using the same build as you..

I did just order the Rayon Cellucotton to give it a try since people are saying it works better than the CVS cotton balls

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have the KFL+ from EHPro as well as the KFL without the air control from Angelcigs.

The one from Angelcigs works great and IMHO the machining is a bit better.

And the airflow on the AC unit is the same as I have it set on the one with the control.

VU Sponsors