Become a Patron!

Fingernail polish to cover up blemishes on a mod? Good idea? Or just leave it alone?

CBF91

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
I have a brand new mod, specifically a stubby xray. Idk how but there are two tiny specs where the paint has chipped of it. I mean miniscule, but they still bother me so much, because it's less than 2 weeks old. Would it look alright if I use gray matte finger nail polish to cover them up or is there risk of making it look worse?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Fingernail polish is "hot", ie acetone, which is what's in polish remover, it what cuts it.

If the place is bare metal it should be ok. If it overlaps or otherwise gets on top of another finish it could and probably will lift it.

I have a metal fire button that the finish is chipped on and was thinking of using nail polish if I can remove the remaining old finish and not let the remover and polish touch anything else.

If it has to touch another finish or like plastic, and there's a place for a test....but if the test is applied thin, and the actual coat is thicker, thicker can have more of an affect on what's under it.

CBF91

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Ahh well I'm glad I asked man, because it is painted aluminum I think so the nail polish will prolly bring up the rest of the paint, its way to small of a spot to risk all that for, is there anything of paint or polish or something that would be better?

CBF91

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
See what I'm saying it's literally a spec

Attachments

• 16895767500042978488863348114578.jpg
    16895767500042978488863348114578.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If the spots are miniscule, I wouldn't even worry about it. If the spots are more noticeable, model paints might be a better option. However, be careful around seams, buttons, and switches where it will seep into. This is especially so with metallic model paints.

I haven't used them on my mods, but have used them on other things such as my Gel Blaster Surge after spraypaiting it with paint good for plastic. I don't dare use those paints near electronics.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Use an artist brush. Just a couple hairs + stay inside the lines. Even just touching bare spots without moving the bristles but w/o leaving bump too. Dab the brush first so its not so wet. Not looking to paint it, just color it a little. Most times just making the spot smaller, ie not edge to edge, can work best for touch-ups esp if it looks like you have to go to the same spot more than a time or 2.

CBF91

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
If the spots are miniscule, I wouldn't even worry about it. If the spots are more noticeable, model paints might be a better option. However, be careful around seams, buttons, and switches where it will seep into. This is especially so with metallic model paints.

I haven't used them on my mods, but have used them on other things such as my Gel Blaster Surge after spraypaiting it with paint good for plastic. I don't dare use those paints near electronics.
Oh I think I'll just leave alone, I mean it is the tiniest little dot, it's just bugging me because I have no idea how it got there, Ive been taking really good care of it, but I've ordered a little drawstring pouch to keep it in when I'm out and about so hopefully I can keep future ones to a minimal!

CBF91

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Yes lol, that's exactly it, I mean I took out 1 day and when I got home that night I seen that, and I know it's tiny but I don't have much money and this is the nicest mod I own 😂😂😂 and holy cow, great idea! A gray sharpie may just work, it'll come off but I can just fill it in again, and the tip is the perfect size for it! Thanks

VU Sponsors