Firmware updates

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
sorry if it has been asked and answered
But will new firmware updates still be available after the 8th?

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I first saw this question yesterday or so and I have to ask... what the hell are you talking about?

If it's a foreign vendor/manufacturer they put the update on their server.
Unless you live in China... you're free to direct your browser to any site you like.

Are people concerned the NSA is watching for mod update downloads?
Seriously?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
THE SIGNAL IS POWER!!
Oh and post that shit here if need be since these servers are not in the US.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I first saw this question yesterday or so and I have to ask... what the hell are you talking about?

If it's a foreign vendor/manufacturer they put the update on their server.
Unless you live in China... you're free to direct your browser to any site you like.

Are people concerned the NSA is watching for mod update downloads?
Seriously?

No I am concerned that companies that want to follow the rules will stop putting them out.

oh and one more thing...
1289275718705_zps7057ceca.gif

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No I am concerned that companies that want to follow the rules will stop putting them out.

So you just mean all of the US makers of advanced and updateable regulated mods.

The only one I think that would concern me is Evolv, but my DNAs are made overseas and I suspect they and a gazillion other sites will host any Escribe updates. No actually... Evolve is working to have their product Deeming compliant so no issue there. Fingers crossed.

Provape is probably doing the same.
Which others should folks be worried about? Not many I should think.

Or do you think an FDA/US Gov't ruling is going to stop worldwide vaping in its' tracks? o_O

Fuck me indeed... get a grip. :rolleyes:

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
So you just mean all of the US makers of advanced and updateable regulated mods.

The only one I think that would concern me is Evolv, but my DNAs are made overseas and I suspect they and a gazillion other sites will host any Escribe updates. No actually... Evolve is working to have their product Deeming compliant so no issue there. Fingers crossed.

Provape is probably doing the same.
Which others should folks be worried about? Not many I should think.

Or do you think an FDA/US Gov't ruling is going to stop worldwide vaping in its' tracks? o_O

Fuck me indeed... get a grip. :rolleyes:
DMCA violations get torrent sites raided by police and computers seized...in other countries...it is almost like we signed treaties with these other countries or something

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
DMCA violations get torrent sites raided by police and computers seized...in other countries...it is almost like we signed treaties with these other countries or something
That is if the holders of the copywrite complain.
I do not see China allowing someone to host sw complaining.

SW is not tobacco so fuck the over reach.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DJLSB put up a blog yesterday and talked about the regulations. It was the first non-alarmist take I've heard on the subject and was actually a biter-assuring. If you have the time, listen to it. I think it starts around the 45 min mark.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is if the holders of the copywrite complain.
I do not see China allowing someone to host sw complaining.

SW is not tobacco so fuck the over reach.

Now even you're confusing the issue for me.

This can only affect US companies.
Neither the FDA ruling(s) nor the DMCA (lol) pertain to foreign mod makers providing software support for their legally produced product... to their worldwide customers.

If an American wants to grab that update... that's between them and the NSA.

Or Google/Microsoft... whichever is greater. :p

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DJLSB put up a blog yesterday and talked about the regulations. It was the first non-alarmist take I've heard on the subject and was actually a biter-assuring. If you have the time, listen to it. I think it starts around the 45 min mark.

it's not a Hollywood release (something the DMCA does apply to)... spoilers are allowed.

triakis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Firmware updates are tiny and free dropbox accounts are 2GB...

Just sayin'

Once something is released it's out there. :)

VU Sponsors