Become a Patron!

First Build

MVP

Member For 3 Years
So I recently got into vaping, and after several tries I finally got two coils I was satisfied with! I used 24 G Kanthal and wrapped each one 7 wraps. I got an ohm reading of .28. I'm running dual parallel coils in my wotofo cube and was wondering, if y'all had any tips for me?

I'm more of a flavor junky that likes a hotter vape and am super satisfied of how it's hitting.

Also, how often should I consider rebuilding my coils?

First_Build.jpeg

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Lot's better than the first coils I twisted. Good job. Change them when your vape is off or when a dry burn doesn't clean them up. I have some coils that are two months old but, I DIY my juice and don't have the tons of coil gunking sweetener that vendor juices do. Then again the more you build the better you get.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to the world of building! Come join us over in the "post your builds" thread! It's a good place to talk general building and get ideas/inspiration/tips from other builders of varying skill levels. Between that, we also talk about completely unrelated things. It's a good time.

Are you using Steam Engine yet? If not, check it out. It's an indispensable and robust building tool. It will make your life 100% easier.

That looks like a bit too much cotton. The idea is to use a minimal amount - just enough that there's only the slightest bit of resistance as you pull it through. The cotton expands in there when you juice it up, so it just has to cover all of the inner-surfaces. If you choke-out your coils with cotton, it can lead to dry hits, reduced flavor, reduced vapor, and an all-around lower-quality vape. Other than that, not too bad. A little practice and you'll have picture-perfect builds.

Dual 24's are a great staple build. I've been building for a good coupla years now and I still use them regularly. If you like warm, dense vapes, the next thing to try would be twisted and claptons. Claptons seem intimidating, but with a little practice they become very easy to do and the performance of a well-tuned clapton is crazy good.

Something you could try right now that I think you'd like is a dual-coil triple-parallel 28g. If you can do regular parallels, then the triple is no different. It just hits harder and kicks out a lot more flavor/vapor. Try 5 wraps around a 2.5mm or 3mm bit. Should ohm-out at around .16. Will not disappoint.

Also, how often should I consider rebuilding my coils?
Realistically, you can run the same build for weeks if you want. You just have to re-wick and dry burn 2-3 times a week.

Or you can build whenever you feel like it! The more often you build, the better your general skills get and the more you learn about the theory behind it.

Last edited:

MVP

Member For 3 Years
Welcome to the world of building! Come join us over in the "post your builds" thread! It's a good place to talk general building and get ideas/inspiration/tips from other builders of varying skill levels. Between that, we also talk about completely unrelated things. It's a good time.
Thanks man! Ya I really like the helpfully, yet relaxed and chill community on here!

Are you using Steam Engine yet? If not, check it out. It's an indispensable and robust building tool. It will make your life 100% easier.
I have checked it out and it seems like a pretty useful tool! I actually used it to calculate the ohms of this build

That looks like a bit too much cotton. The idea is to use a minimal amount - just enough that there's only the slightest bit of resistance as you pull it through.

So my local vape shop told me to use the scottish wicking method, and that it should be as tight as possible when I pull the cotton through the coil. I will take your advice and try your method, and compare the results.

Dual 24's are a great staple build. I've been building for a good coupla years now and I still use them regularly. If you like warm, dense vapes, the next thing to try would be twisted and claptons. Claptons seem intimidating, but with a little practice they become very easy to do and the performance of a well-tuned clapton is crazy good.

Something you could try right now that I think you'd like is a dual-coil triple-parallel 28g. If you can do regular parallels, then the triple is no different. It just hits harder and kicks out a lot more flavor/vapor. Try 5 wraps around a 2.5mm or 3mm bit. Should ohm-out at around .16. Will not disappoint.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm going to try the dual-coil tripple-parallel 28g build right now! I'm also thinking about ordering some nickel wire, so I can use the TC mode on my Sigeli, and put it in my Blitz RTA.

I appreciate all the help man!

MVP

Member For 3 Years
Hey one more question, before I go and get some 28G wire from my vape shop. What kind of wire's and and gauge should I look into buying. The only mod I have currently is a sigeli 150w. From searching forums and video's, the only wire I can use for TC mode is Nickel.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey one more question, before I go and get some 28G wire from my vape shop. What kind of wire's and and gauge should I look into buying. The only mod I have currently is a sigeli 150w. From searching forums and video's, the only wire I can use for TC mode is Nickel.

I would recommend sticking with just Kanthal at first, Nichrome if you're brave, don't even bother with Nickel (Ni200).
Ni200 is incredibly difficult to work with (toooo pliable, bends far too easily), can't be pulsed or glowed, and is rather difficult to build with because of it's low resistance (alot of wraps are needed just to make a usable coil, and often times dual are a no-go).
Since you're still beginning and learning, stick with Kanthal. For basic builds, 20/24/26/28 gauges are good and easy, for more complex builds (Claptons, Staples, Braids, etc.) finer gauges are necessary, popular ones are 30/34/38/40.

MVP

Member For 3 Years
Thanks man! I'm about to get some kanthal 28 Gauge and try out that three strand dual parallel build. I'ma take your advice and hold off on the different wire.

Also, I rewicked my current coils with less wick and I love the results! I seem to be tasting a little less flavor, but it's so much smoother and the popping sound went away

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I would advise in getting wire from here..
I order my wire here...Its cheap for when replenishing all of the gauges..
100ft of every gauge from 22g-38g for $20 Shipped..
Sometimes its Kbee and some times its other brands but they all comes as the same brand, none are different from the other when ordering them..I ordered it 5 times and mostly got K.bee and 2 times I got the other wire.
LINK IS HERE for Kanthal
LINK IS HERE for N80 (Missing 22g,24g though)

This one is the Big one, every builder on this forum has benefited from this one link.
38g Kanthal D 1000ft Spool, for $8: LINK

Last edited:

MVP

Member For 3 Years
Second Build.jpeg
I would advbise in getting wire from here..
I order my wire here...Its cheap for when replenishing all of the gauges..
100ft of every gauge from 22g-38g for $20 Shipped..
Sometimes its Kbee and some times its other brands but they all comes as the same brand, none are different from the other when ordering them..I ordered it 5 times and mostly got K.bee and 2 times I got the other wire.
LINK IS HERE for Kanthal
LINK IS HERE for N80 (Missing 22g,24g though)

This one is the Big one, every builder on this forum has benefited from this one link.
38g Kanthal D 1000ft Spool, for $8: LINK
You sir, are a god! Thank you soo much, I wish I saw this before cause I just went and bought some Clapton wire. Next time, I definitely going through those links.

Also instead of trying that 3 strand dual parrallel build, I went with a dual clapton coil build with 5 wraps, at 2.5, and am loving it! I'm having to crank my wattage up to get the heat I want, though.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also instead of trying that 3 strand dual parrallel build, I went with a dual clapton coil build with 5 wraps, at 2.5, and am loving it! I'm having to crank my wattage up to get the heat I want, though.

I love me some Claptons, but Parallels were my first love, they perform so well for being so simple. And Claptons are power hungry, so you gotta bump up the power a bit, but it's worth it!

oh yeah, btw, those are Dual Coil 7 wraps, not 5 lol (don't mind me, my OCD was just kicking in a bit)

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hahaha, oops well I intended them to be 5 . Ya you are so right on the power! Im at 150 watts to get these bad boys heating up.

Nice, glad it's working out well. Just an FYI though, at 150W, your batteries are gonna die mighty quick, so just keep that in mind if you're out and about, carry some spares :p

Also, I'm unsure if you've come across this yet, but when running high wattages, the mod will cut off well before the cells are dead, so don't worry if the battery says 40% or something and it won't let you fire it anymore.

Ex. I have a 0.12ohm build on my Sig 150W TC, and at 100W, the mod will cut off at 50%, because the cells can no longer produce the Voltage/Amperage required for that Wattage. It's no big deal, but just keep an eye out for when it happens. It worried me the first time until I realized why it happened. At 150W (max for the mod) the cells may cut out before 50%, just a heads up :D

MVP

Member For 3 Years
Nice, glad it's working out well. Just an FYI though, at 150W, your batteries are gonna die mighty quick, so just keep that in mind if you're out and about, carry some spares :p
the cells may cut out before 50%, just a heads up :D

Ya this happened me on the way to work:( But it actually doesn't cut off for me till like 9% at 150 W( Im not sure if my sigeli is reading the percentage of my batteries wrong, since yours cutts off around 50%)
Hey one question, regarding carrying my mod, and batteries. Do you know of any cases that have good insulation for keeping them in my car while im at work? I'm fine for now because it's not hot yet, but I give it a month and it will start to get 90 degrees and turn my car into an oven:eek:. I would just bring them inside work, but I don't have a spot to put them, and I highly enjoy vaping on the long drive to work.

One Idea that popped in my head was to wrap them in towls, and put them in a small empty ice chest, since they have ok insulation in them.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ya this happened me on the way to work:( But it actually doesn't cut off for me till like 9% at 150 W( Im not sure if my sigeli is reading the percentage of my batteries wrong, since yours cutts off around 50%)
Hey one question, regarding carrying my mod, and batteries. Do you know of any cases that have good insulation for keeping them in my car while im at work? I'm fine for now because it's not hot yet, but I give it a month and it will start to get 90 degrees and turn my car into an oven:eek:. I would just bring them inside work, but I don't have a spot to put them, and I highly enjoy vaping on the long drive to work.

One Idea that popped in my head was to wrap them in towls, and put them in a small empty ice chest, since they have ok insulation in them.
I use THESE battery cases, there Silicone, easily stretched over any size 18650 and they dont crack/melt in high heat...and there cheap.
Depending on the mod there are many solutions. This is a Silicone Case for the Sig 150TC- LINK

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya this happened me on the way to work But it actually doesn't cut off for me till like 9% at 150 W( Im not sure if my sigeli is reading the percentage of my batteries wrong, since yours cutts off around 50%)
Hey one question, regarding carrying my mod, and batteries. Do you know of any cases that have good insulation for keeping them in my car while im at work? I'm fine for now because it's not hot yet, but I give it a month and it will start to get 90 degrees and turn my car into an oven. I would just bring them inside work, but I don't have a spot to put them, and I highly enjoy vaping on the long drive to work.

Well, there's probably a reason for that (which was just an example, more of a worst case scenario). I have a variety of different married pairs of cells, from different manufacturers, so they all have different results. I believe it is a pair of LG HE4s that are roughly a year old under heavy use that are cutting me off at 50%, My VTC5 (few months) will cut off at 35%, and my Samsung 25Rs (few months) will cut off at 15%. Hell, I even have a pair of Efests that will kick out 100W till 18%.

I was more or less just giving you a heads up, just in case it ever happens and you're sitting there wondering why, like I did lol.

As for insulating cases, I couldn't tell you. I have the silicone case that came with the mod, and quite frankly, I don't believe it helps cool the mod in any way, or prevent it from getting hot either, it's more or less just for extra grip and scratch prevention, but hey, I could be wrong, won't hurt either way. I just toss my mods inside a bag (backpack, laptops bag, workbag, etc.) and it never gets too hot or cold (I'm in Toronto, we get every end of the weather spectrum lol), so keeping it in a bag out of direct sunlight should be enough, or your ice cooler box idea would work fine too.

VU Sponsors