Become a Patron!

First build

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just curious.... What tools would you be waiting for??? Seems to me if you have the tools to install prewraps.... You already have the tools needed for coil building... They are the same tools afterall.

Flyhigh92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got a little kit of stuff I ordered just a couple prebuilt to come before I used toenail clippers and a letter opener and my mod as the ohm meter which I know your not supposed to do lol

Flyhigh92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is my second how's it look

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks don't mean a thing if it works...... Does It? IF Yes GOOD JOB.. If the vape sucks.... Well...... then I guess you wouldn't post a pick..

FWIW, My Ugliest builds Vape the best.

You can use your mod as the ohm meter...... It's just not a good idea to TRUST the mods meters. Until you get you actual meter, just build well under the safety limits of both the batteries and the mod... You'll be fine.

Finger nail clippers and a Nail were my first build kit. All I had was a cheap Harbor Freight meter. Steam-engine.org was my guide for a long time. Still is 2 years latter. Although I have upgraded my meters.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks don't mean a thing if it works...... Does It? IF Yes GOOD JOB.. If the vape sucks.... Well...... then I guess you wouldn't post a pick..

FWIW, My Ugliest builds Vape the best.
Haha, it's so true. But it kills me inside looking at them. I am really meticulous with my coils. I make it a point to have the coils 90% there wrapped and tighten them down carefully, keeping just the perfect tension on the rod to make sure the screws bite at that perfect pitch that makes it so the coils are sitting perfectly straight at the right height and distance. Back and forth, man.

You don't want too much tension though. The wire will expand and then contract during the first two pulses and the increase in tension will pull them diagonally (the wraps can even tilt towards each other) as well as shrink the first outer wrap if you mount them at the tension you're shooting for in the end. From there, you really have to get them pinched-up in first couple of pulses and just pray for no shorts. Any more and they get too springy to mold past where they're at. Plus they lose that awesome color. And then the screws might back-out.

The other option is super-low power micropulses, but that's even more tedious.

But man, it is so satisfying when you nail a perfect build in a couple of pulses. Then you vape it and you swear it is better, but it's not. But you keep doing it anyway.

And on nail clippers... ...I used them for a couple of months not thinking anything of it. That is, until flush-cutters came along. It was such a revelation that I got retroactively frustrated with the clippers.

VU Sponsors