Become a Patron!

First ever RDA build. Need constructive criticism (pictures)

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My clone Velocity finally arrived from FT today. I'm using it on my 40 watt Ijust 2 battery. I used the two coils provided with it (I think each was 1.5 ohms). One odd thing was, the resistance was .8 with both coils installed (with wide spacing). After I heated and pinched them into micro coils, they read 1 ohm... Thats weird.

It works great though! I just have a few concerns with cotton. I think I put too much in. Here are some pictures... Screenshot_2015-10-26-15-50-19.png Screenshot_2015-10-26-15-50-24.png
It takes so much juice. As I'm putting juice on the coils, you can see the wet cotton dry up as the rest of the cotton underneath takes it. I also had trouble getting the right amount of cotton to fit through the coils. Also, how many drags should I take before dripping again?

Just need some tips and feedback on how I can improve my build next time. Thanks!

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
One thing is for sure, your wicks are too long. They should just touch the deck. Try keeping the area below the coil free from cotton for better air circulation around the coil.
The amount of cotton to use, will come with practice. In general, you want to feel a slight resistance when pulling the wick back and forth.
When to drip, before you're getting the dreaded "dry hit". There's a slight difference in flavor, before that happens.

All is try and error, and making adjustments accordingly.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One thing is for sure, your wicks are too long. They should just touch the deck. Try keeping the area below the coil free from cotton for better air circulation around the coil.
I watched a few tutorials, and in each one it looks like they tucked all of the wick to touch the bottom of the coil.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
You need the air's circulation, in order to cool down the coil from all sides. Wicking material touching the coil just hinders that circulation.
It was only done in the old days, when the decks didn't have the depth as they have now, in order to get more juice in.

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks fine man, you will figure out the wicking as you go, good thing is it's the cheapest and easiest thing to do. Coils look fine to me:)

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looks fine man, you will figure out the wicking as you go, good thing is it's the cheapest and easiest thing to do. Coils look fine to me:)
I didn't make the coils, as they came with it. But I used to be rediculous and rebuild the heads for my CE5 and mini protank clearos. So I do have some wrapping experience just not with thick wire.

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well I decided this thing being stuffed with cotton was a waste of juice, so before I took the cotton out to re wick it the way you guys suggested, I did some experimenting.
It is amazing how quickly I can drip completely different tasting juices in there and vape them immediately without the previous flavors breaking through. I guess that IS why I decided to get an RDA afterall. I also tried to see how many drags I could take before it dried up. And after many many drags, I finally got a burnt taste. Those wicks seem to have a lot more juice left in them than how dry they look!

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Screenshot_2015-10-26-19-14-31.png Screenshot_2015-10-26-19-14-25.png
Re wicked it. May be too little cotton now, but I don't know. What do you guys think?

VapeRN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That looks better. Just touching the deck is where you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, it's touching the deck. It just feels a little bit loose inside the coils. I can't figure out the right amount because I'd assume too much cotton inside the coils with be squeezed and therefore not retain much liquid, just like twisting a towel, and too little cotton will run out of juice too quickly and burn.

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
for me wicking is harder to master the making the coils

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ideally you don't want the coil to move at all when pulling the wick through, but you do want to feel some friction. When i'm eyeballing it i typically will cut a strip of cotton about 3x wider than the inner diameter. That's always kinda been my starting point :p

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ideally you don't want the coil to move at all when pulling the wick through, but you do want to feel some friction. When i'm eyeballing it i typically will cut a strip of cotton about 3x wider than the inner diameter. That's always kinda been my starting point :p
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it

Instead of twisting the cotton try rolling it and just twisting the end to get it through the coil. Since that end will be cut off anyway you left with a nice fluffy wick to hold more juice and wick better.

CoilBuldin'CloudChaser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you switch to cotton bacon it's really easy to just pinch off the perfect amount. Twist it, starting at one end then twist the whole little 1 inch piece. Center the cotton then get it too touch the deck. I like a lot of cotton however. Holds more juice for me.

Keep Calm Vape On! ☁☁

VU Sponsors