Become a Patron!

First Stab at DIY Custard

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Whipped up a concoction with 5% each TFA Vanilla Custard and Dulce De Leche with a bit of brown sugar extra and a touch of FW whipped cream. Shake and vape, it's not bad. Buttery custard tasting on inhale and whipped cream on exhale. I only made 15 ml so I don't know if it will get a chance to steep much.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It seems to missing something right now, though. It's not as full bodied as I'd like, if that makes sense. Any suggestions on something to balance the buttery sweetness if steeping doesn't do much?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Custard mixes well with a lot of things like sweet fruits, deserts and tobaccos.

Besides that I would use less TFA vanilla custard maybe 3% and balance it with some other vanilla like vanilla bourbon.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sometimes with custard you don't really need anything but time. A good steep and the "body" may show up on its own.
That's what I figured. I'm going to give it a bit of time before I tinker any more. At what point does it's character become apparent? 1 week, 2 weeks?

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's what I figured. I'm going to give it a bit of time before I tinker any more. At what point does it's character become apparent? 1 week, 2 weeks?
15 mls may not last that long unless I just shelve this stuff

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mixes differ, but I don't think they even start to mature till after two weeks. Custard is like wine, the older the better.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make one to put away and another to play with.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
But, I am craving something apricot...I'll retest in a few days and maybe give a few drops of apricot a whirl. All have is Cap though.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use Caps apricot, it's very good. And an apricot custard sounds pretty darn good.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes it does. I think I should try it.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Depends on what else is in the mix. If I were doing it with custard, 1.5-2% Caps apricot and 8% Caps vanilla custard.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, this one has DDL, brown sugar and whipped cream. With apricots, I could probably leave the DDL out, and maybe keep a touch of brown sugar and whip cream maybe. I won't be back to work til monday, so I don't have good scales. Not at home. So I might just drip a bit of apricot in til it smells good. 1 or 2 % in a 10 or 15 ml mix isn't much anyway.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Start low and work up. Better safe than pouring it down the drain. ;)
You can get a nice set of scales with a .01 graduation from Amazon or eBay for under $10.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I've learned a few lessons the hard way. One being always always always make sure your needle tip is FIRMLY attached to the bottle if your dripping and not using a syringe. :eek::rolleyes:

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I've learned a few lessons the hard way. One being always always always make sure your needle tip is FIRMLY attached to the bottle if your dripping and not using a syringe. :eek::rolleyes:
I have a super fruity mix right now due to this. I put extra vg in to dilute, to no avail. Rather than dump it, it'll get used as a mixer in small amounts. It does have nicotine in it, but it's probably diluted down to nothing now.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for sharing first of all! Custards are a lot of fun to experiment with!

For the DDL, for me it feels like if i go anywhere above like 1% it turns all my custards more into a creme brulee with a dominant caramel flavor. Not that its a bad thing but i have "ruined" a bunch of vanilla type custards with too much ddl.

Keep goin with the experimenting tho, its the most fun and also the most frustrating part of diy!

Last edited:

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for sharing first of all! Custards are a lot of fun to expiriment with!

For the DDL, for me it feels like if i go anywhere above like 1% it turns all my custards more into a creme brulee with a dominant caramel flavor. Not that its a bad thing but i have "ruined" a bunch of vanilla type custards with too much ddl.

Keep goin with the expirimenting tho, its the most fun and also the most frustrating part of diy!

I've used Caramel instead of DDL just because I thought it was a bit better, small amounts tho, usually 1% or less.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for sharing first of all! Custards are a lot of fun to expiriment with!

Keep goin with the expirimenting tho, its the most fun and also the most frustrating part of diy!
Yep, it certainly is fun, yet frustrating. If I could settle on one or two good mixes, I'd be happy. I'm such an impatient person at times.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And patience is probably key.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, it certainly is fun, yet frustrating. If I could settle on one or two good mixes, I'd be happy. I'm such an impatient person at times.

I'm right there with you, I generally have zero patience :) I can't even guess how many times I've dumped meh mixes down the drain but also I've made a bunch where I have that Eureka moment where I'm like oh yes this is the one. But then a week later I find another new "the one" lol. I love diy but it is maddening at times!

VU Sponsors