Become a Patron!

First Supply order- opinions on quality

Hi guys,

So after some suggestions to try out building my own coils, I've decided to look up a few things to start practicing. I was just curious about quality (although this will be for practice) looking to improve as I learn. I am attaching the RTA to my vaporesso nano. Is there anything I am missing or should consider modifying? I also just place my first order to DIY liquids, I am super excited and looking forward to learning and saving some mula.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1611004303864.png
    1611004303864.png
    971.2 KB · Views: 36

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Hi guys,

So after some suggestions to try out building my own coils, I've decided to look up a few things to start practicing. I was just curious about quality (although this will be for practice) looking to improve as I learn. I am attaching the RTA to my vaporesso nano. Is there anything I am missing or should consider modifying? I also just place my first order to DIY liquids, I am super excited and looking forward to learning and saving some mula.

Cheers!
You'll want an Ohm reader.
Coilology makes a popular one. There are others. Any with a 510 connection should work fine.
It'll tell you the resistance of your coil and, if it doesn't, that something's wrong before you put the coil on your mod.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
You may want to throw a couple of these on your FT order- they are nice to have while you learn to build

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I prefer nicor over stainless taste https://www.fasttech.com/p/4010302
double check size you want about $3.59 a roll pre spun

1611005788039.png
your atomizer cost $14.95
1611005927309.png
and REALLY prefer a top air flow over bottem.
WHY? cuz bottom air flow can run down your mod if they get tipped on the side.
an i dislike a mod covered in lake e-juice.
1611006066262.png
$8.60

am a BIG dead rabbit baby these are clones
I have Both can not tell a differance.

you can use 1 or 2 coils in this atomizer.
and you can see in the tank.

just my own opinion.

O yes an a ohm meter very important.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
You'll want an Ohm meter.
Coilology makes a popular one. There are others. Any with a 510 connection should work fine.
It'll tell you the resistance of your coil and, if it doesn't, that something's wrong before you put the coil on your mod.
I just use my regulated mods

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You'll want an Ohm reader.
Not a must when her mod will give her resistance. The OP isn't building for a mech mod.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I seen a Coil Master V3 Kit for $24 somewhere about a month ago. Don't know if it's still around.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi guys,

Cheers!
Looks great! Check out already, lol

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
IDK how much build space that RTA has or what your target resistance is, but
using this...

28g 316L / 8 wraps / 3 id = about .9Ω

I prefer nicor over stainless taste https://www.fasttech.com/p/4010302
double check size you want about $3.59 a roll pre spun

View attachment 176589
your atomizer cost $14.95
View attachment 176590
and REALLY prefer a top air flow over bottem.
WHY? cuz bottom air flow can run down your mod if they get tipped on the side.
an i dislike a mod covered in lake e-juice.
View attachment 176591
$8.60

am a BIG dead rabbit baby these are clones
I have Both can not tell a differance.

you can use 1 or 2 coils in this atomizer.
and you can see in the tank.

just my own opinion.

O yes an a ohm meter very important.
Oh I like that too. To be honest I got tired of looking since there was so many. That’s too big for the nano I have though. Looking for 22.

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I just use my regulated mods
've been using a mod as a ohm meter/reader since I can adjust the wattage on it.
Not a must when her mod will give her resistance.
Yeah, you're right, that'll work. I don't trust myself enough to risk a mod with one of my noobie klutz coil builds so I have a cheap Ohm reader for them 1st, plus it makes a secure base for the deck. But regulated mods have protections so a reader really isn't essential.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi guys,

Cheers!
The Dvarw is very good, just watch all of the reviews there are on it and pay close attention to how they wick it ?

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I'm not a mtl vapor, but have heard good things about the Augvape Intake MTL. Looks very simple to build on and top af
Me either, but was going to suggest this one too- I have the regular single coil DL Augvape Intake rtas- I have 6 of them :teehee:
probably too big at 24mm , she is looking at 22mm RTAs

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Oh I like that too. To be honest I got tired of looking since there was so many. That’s too big for the nano I have though. Looking for 22.
1611007895532.png
Nichrome 80 Heating Wire for RBA Atomizers22 AWG / 0.64mm dia. / 10m (30 feet) ↓ details & specifications
der ya go. $3.94

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I'm not a mtl vapor, but have heard good things about the Augvape Intake MTL. Looks very simple to build on and top af
I started with the smok nord. Would that be more dtl? I was really used to that one and with my new mods, I had to adjust. I don't think I really know what I prefer yet as I haven't tried a DTL tank with my new mods. Would they be able to use a dtl tank? My aspire deco goes to 100w? I was thinking of buying a DTL one to build on to see if I like it ( I am thinking I can since I will build a coil with the resistance needed? Since I already have MTL ya know? Not looking for something super expensive yet as I'm not sure if it's something I will use in the long run. Sorry for all the questions.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I started with the smok nord. Would that be more dtl? I was really used to that one and with my new mods, I had to adjust. I don't think I really know what I prefer yet as I haven't tried a DTL tank with my new mods. Would they be able to use a dtl tank? My aspire deco goes to 100w? I was thinking of buying a DTL one to build on to see if I like it ( I am thinking I can since I will build a coil with the resistance needed? Since I already have MTL ya know? Not looking for something super expensive yet as I'm not sure if it's something I will use in the long run. Sorry for all the questions.
never be sorry for asking questions...
can save you a lot of cash, heart ach and flustration...

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The nord would be considered loose mtl although you can get a restricted direct lung hit with that one. That's what I vape, rdl at around 30-40 watts. Your mods would definitely be able to support dl.
The Dvarw comes with interchangeable airflow options so you can get a restricted direct lung hit, you'll be able to play around with it until you find what suits you. It's a good choice. My only word of caution with the clones is that they can be hit and miss, SXK is very good quality clones and there are some others, but at that price point don't worry too much, it's actually smart to do it this way when you're unsure of what exactly you want.

If you like the Nord you'll like the Dvarw with the biggest airflow pin. Then on YouTube watch Todds Reviews on the Dvarw, he gives a great wicking tutorial on it.

Last edited:
24mm would look good on Gen Nano, maybe more options.
Here's a 23mm that works well with DL or MTL resistances.

24mm would look good on Gen Nano, maybe more options.
Here's a 23mm that works well with DL or MTL resistances.
Awesome. Thank you!!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Yw

Lemme say something here. In your first post of the other thread, I see this
"a vaporesso gen nano with the gtx 22 tank. I have the .02 coil in it now. I also have the aspire deco with the Odan Evo tank."
According to the manuf websites, the GTX22 has 5 diff coils. Only 2 of them could be for MTL, the .8 and the 1.2...but,,, your using the .2 And the Odan has 2 coil choices - .2 and .3 and like the others neither are MTL coils nor will they do MTL. So you can see why I'm confused when you say you want get a DTL tank so you can try DTL, when you not only have 2 already, but are also running DTL coils.

Yw

Lemme say something here. In your first post of the other thread, I see this
"a vaporesso gen nano with the gtx 22 tank. I have the .02 coil in it now. I also have the aspire deco with the Odan Evo tank."
According to the manuf websites, the GTX22 has 5 diff coils. Only 2 of them could be for MTL, the .8 and the 1.2...but,,, your using the .2 And the Odan has 2 coil choices - .2 and .3 and like the others neither are MTL coils nor will they do MTL. So you can see why I'm confused when you say you want get a DTL tank so you can try DTL, when you not only have 2 already, but are also running DTL coils.
That makes two of us, I guess I was confused too. Sorry I had trouble really understanding dtl and mtl. I've decided to get this one since the reviews and build look pretty easy and it can also do both mtl and dtl. One day soon, I will not be souding like such a newb lol. Thanks for being nice and patient though. It really has helped that I can come here and people not only respond but are helpful and respecful!

1611010425609.png

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
:) There's nothing to be sorry for, but ty :)

When you press the fire button, do you inhale directly to your lungs?
Or
Press the button, take a puff, let go of the button, then inhale?

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
According to the manuf websites, the GTX22 has 5 diff coils. Only 2 of them could be for MTL, the .8 and the 1.2...but,,, your using the .2
Vaporesso screwed up by grouping all those coils together and calling them all "GTX Coils". Even reviewers on YT say, this uses the GTX family of coils.

There's actually two different styles. The ones with narrower tops don't work in the GTX 22 tank. Also vise versa, you can't use the wide top ones in a Luxe PM40 ect. The RBA has a wide top and also doesn't work in some pods. The GTX22 tank can use the RBA though. I've tried them out with each other so it's not just a theory. All you have to do is look at the top of the coils and see if it's wide or narrow.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I

I inhale directly into my lungs.
Cool. You're already DTL then! Might be RDL - restricted DL, but that just means the tank or your airflow setting is such that you don't get a ton of air through it at once. Its still DTL.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
My main suggestion would be to check that UD wire before you use it. When you cut a piece to make a coil, run it through a tissue in your hand to be sure it isn't dirty or oily. I haven't heard the best things about UD coils and wire.

I like the look of that RTA,you can tell by looking at the size of the air hole between the screws on the deck, it's going to be a restricted DTL tank. You could use a coil somewhere between 0.35 and 0.6 ohms and get a nice vape from that. Dvarw DL is top notch, though.

Welcome to VU!

My main suggestion would be to check that UD wire before you use it. When you cut a piece to make a coil, run it through a tissue in your hand to be sure it isn't dirty or oily. I haven't heard the best things about UD coils and wire.

I like the look of that RTA,you can tell by looking at the size of the air hole between the screws on the deck, it's going to be a restricted DTL tank. You could use a coil somewhere between 0.35 and 0.6 ohms and get a nice vape from that. Dvarw DL is top notch, though.

Welcome to VU!
Ok cool, I will be sure to do that. I also purchased the other coil that was suggested as well, just in case the quality wasn’t good. I didn’t realize this stuff was so affordable but I’m sure it can add up lol.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Ok cool, I will be sure to do that. I also purchased the other coil that was suggested as well, just in case the quality wasn’t good. I didn’t realize this stuff was so affordable but I’m sure it can add up lol.
it can add up..
another really neat toy is a
1611041501645.png
coil trimmer... I had a dickens of a time getting my legs right..
this solved that..

Last edited:

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Quick question. I’ve seen some tutorials and most of them have a little stand tu use while building. Can you let me know what they’re called?
are you talking about a coiling jig??? $21.99 drill not included
1611105041408.png
you can make your own with a C clamp, board a block an eye hook some fishing spinners
and your drill.. and then practice...
claptons are the easiest to make...

and you need to know how to do this BEFORE you can make the fancier coils...
and a beadalon spool tamer is a MUST to have item if you don't want your wire turning into a rats nest.
@MrMeowgi showed me this... BEST THING since slice bread.
you can spinn right off the roll............ SWEET!

edit: I said that wrong ITS A

Beadalon 3-Piece Spool Tamer Set​

List Price:$8.99
Price: amazon prime$6.23
1611106385588.png
its a jewlery craft item to keep your wire on the spool until needed

Last edited:
are you talking about a coiling jig??? $21.99 drill not included
View attachment 176687
you can make your one with a C clamp, board a block an eye hook some fishing spinners
and your drill.. and then practice...
claptons are the easiest to make...

and you need to know how to do this BEFORE you can make the fancier coils...
I saw this too and will buy it but I was referring to a little stand that is used for the atty while you adjust coils and such. Thanks for the video, I have a lot of practice to do!!

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I saw this too and will buy it but I was referring to a little stand that is used for the atty while you adjust coils and such. Thanks for the video, I have a lot of practice to do!!
Do you mean like these?

I found one some on Amazon since I already placed my ft order, they should do. Now the hard part, waiting for all my stuff to arrive.

Attachments

• 144E42E4-1058-4ADE-9077-0334314F1BEA.jpeg
    144E42E4-1058-4ADE-9077-0334314F1BEA.jpeg
    562.7 KB · Views: 5

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I inhale directly into my lungs.

You might want to think on trying RDAs. Find them a lot better for RDL / DL than RDTA / Tanks. I Use a lot of what is now being called RSAs. That's Rebuid-able Squonking Atomizer.

They are actually RDAs but use a 510 pin with a hole bored through the center to let you squonk juice up into the deck.

6050800-2.jpg

I'm too lazy to drip. :) Can do it and enjoy it, just not totally my preferred way to vape. Rather have the supply bottle contained in the mod itself. Most of my squonk bottles run from 7 - 10 ml.

There's a few different RSA that are good for DL vaping, plenty good RDAs too. Some will say tanks do better as the vapor is more confined and not so open to air. Conversely adding air is an argument of improving flavor.

You'll just need to try and figure that out for yourself. I know RDAs might be "less efficient" due to adding "all that wide open air", but they still suit me. :) Besides I can crank my air flow control down for a nicely restricted DL hit. I like a little airy draw with some tension.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors