Become a Patron!

First timer RBA questions

Tumbleweed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A couple of months back I upgraded my Kanger clearomizer to a Crown tank & am loving it. With my 50w mod, I pretty much have just been using .5 coils I buy locally. I have several .25's but I am saving those for when I upgrade the mod (soon) to probably a 120 watter.

Lately I've been thinking of getting the RBA section & maybe some premade coils, practicing my own wicking & what not. I don't think I'm ready to start wrapping my own wire yet, but I am curious to maybe at least try the RBA. My questions are what kind of vape experience can I expect in terms of flavor/vapor production compared to the disposable .5's I'm currently using & what would I need to know/learn to at least be safe & enjoy it? I assume the premade, wrapped coils I could purchase come in a range of resistance, or is more determined by watts?

Helinut

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
10 times more flavor and vapor. I just built a coil and when I powered up my regulated setup I was in the good range. Start a new coil low wattage and increase.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A couple of months back I upgraded my Kanger clearomizer to a Crown tank & am loving it. With my 50w mod, I pretty much have just been using .5 coils I buy locally. I have several .25's but I am saving those for when I upgrade the mod (soon) to probably a 120 watter.

Lately I've been thinking of getting the RBA section & maybe some premade coils, practicing my own wicking & what not. I don't think I'm ready to start wrapping my own wire yet, but I am curious to maybe at least try the RBA. My questions are what kind of vape experience can I expect in terms of flavor/vapor production compared to the disposable .5's I'm currently using & what would I need to know/learn to at least be safe & enjoy it? I assume the premade, wrapped coils I could purchase come in a range of resistance, or is more determined by watts?

The RBA for the Crown is pretty bad in my opinion. All I could get from it was the flavor and vapor of something like the kanger subtank mini! It leaks like a sieve also and is really not good for your first RBA.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The RBA for the Crown is pretty bad in my opinion. All I could get from it was the flavor and vapor of something like the kanger subtank mini! It leaks like a sieve also and is really not good for your first RBA.

Actually I disagree, the RBA for the Crown is very easy to build "but" like all Tanks you do have to get the wicking right. What works for me is the pancake method. No dry hits and it doesn't leak, just remember less is more when it comes to cotton.

The Crown was my first Tank to rebuild on, and really is easy but it does have some con's.

1. Restrictive airflow, not too bad but a very noticeable difference over the stock coils
2. With the RBA also seems to limit the vape range, for me most success around 30 Watt's. Still has respectable Vaper production and maintains excellent flavor. Any higher though the wicking doesn't seem to be able to keep up (around 40 Watts on up).

I did watch a vid on rebuilding the stock coils, I'm going to try that, it seems to be a better option than the RBA.

In any case, Here's a shot of 26x2/32 fused Clapton I popped in my RBA. Flavor is awesome and vape production is very good, but as I mentioned I need to keep it around 30 Watt's.

Best recommendation I would say is to get an actual RTA, I would recommend the Griffin, great build deck, juice control, top fill. Excellent for beginners and anyone else for that matter.

Here's shots of my Crown RBA with the fused clapton ;)

2jOp_F2g-2JZjjBuDJ2ns3rk70T5u1Sh0SEoFeFNzChYe8gtEGmzcVu6-MBJXp8gHL4nWyfDnYd0cM0R_17F6l747Khbyi08PM__kN4d_h9VWXsiijLqs2bUo8L9OmlxGeVj8qoLKT1cdsyvGVXEFFDAWErj158Ok3ZCRobz_Sw81GsQwA4tYjVFTt18drjoIkgaC2jtQSLKcyeaITrTFWEEPElcoLTsY2EQ0oIoBOc-qjVs8izf7TBy_pv1ICSyFqCnNQiEzE9n0ohrFxu3mkEpDpRd-0xqN0s11QPnGPUTSfJs939BQg0tqArYXNtBUwQ5hXYGxT9n3E6blUctmpZxVBAdlN2LLubRW6JhBd-Rft-IUv3cpTPEPw8tfmpiVbUF7RWrhUuWcDobo44zK7hK-Lx44TNZfFCm46NR2b6s-0RWaNNx3IfanZFMVEibE12BcHfuls7T-Bso2vaWuYmORklUe9gFLZ6p2MBPT0JaY3SfCwtIv8bhwnx3H2EvQZpAXe0Y1Okt1y9eOc75NBcO8l0qGxj9E70pRoB_fHEap6YVkl6M5qinqCj2IpDa63wEDA=w607-h817-no

38ti-ytJ90VcUdfv9tw9leq1was2wnclklvLt7E02JS39K8Z8MUFLHGOOc11n86wZwQfUkPexG3wEsS37sS2ZXtFE7s2Zpi5xWfmQUqbU2Tx2KpNwtmheAPAenCrGITwZaNCWH57s4CZXtZVbyDmuaUBRFXatgVLLmYWLQcYwrFxqI99nA9kFtezNu7eZflQrVtEOZR1LqutgsoLf706GdyJKSRQhnJIhSeybJVCdCGIyO0iKC89g1EtUIbgdsFdZ_e4suzjxhteXLhuN1iFOEQG1JKOUrql9_jMGcl6Tm9k8Jm71eQfWG3hFWFf6cb-OqzP0Nn9aUc9m9j6bBdLo340Jk3rB2M-CA56QJq81FJy2Rs7ciyX6EYQv5OapZQ09xzduGQdI_7nGD3h89XAVLXYH0eTwMQbFH4pVWqCIuO4rIqgXfvQn7bIkfXS44zmEYq2LypN6sZMko-gjP7ULjFz6_vfFIDaK65ZkgnG5B17KkOs9ZXat7BPaD7h0fFXagsIvgSy-X0L8bI6rXYhBE2Aml_Ec6AlzIA2T76ZJyNrHrTMJ2otNAHAkIZPXFJjD5FF8w=w607-h817-no

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
the only subtank that I've come across with an ok rba section was the tfv4 and tfv4 mini.
other than that, it has been my experience that an actual RBA is usually a better option altogether and just keep your subtanks for the premade coils- just my opinion there, especially, with the prices of some being in the 25-35 dollar range. They are usualy much easier to build on and less likely to leak and cause issues.
the griffin is usally a good bet, or the bellus both being easy to build on and the bellus allowing for a single coil option

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the only subtank that I've come across with an ok rba section was the tfv4 and tfv4 mini.
other than that, it has been my experience that an actual RBA is usually a better option altogether and just keep your subtanks for the premade coils- just my opinion there, especially, with the prices of some being in the 25-35 dollar range. They are usualy much easier to build on and less likely to leak and cause issues.
the griffin is usally a good bet, or the bellus both being easy to build on and the bellus allowing for a single coil option

The Bellus is a bit finicky with wicking, after a few wicks you get it down. The flavor is really awesome with it though, I do like my Griffin with the Velocity build deck. I honestly don't see why the Velocity deck isn't across the board standard.

Anyway the advantages though of having a dedicated RTA over any tank with pre-built coils is light years. No longer tied to expensive pre-built coils and the vast variety build options. Not to mention of the pending Vape Apocalypse from the FDA and State Governments. Just some wire and cotton and they can kiss my ass ya know ;)

Tootall

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My opinion is it taste's better but you have to adjust it a lot more and play with the settings to get a good vape in temp control mode I use 26 gauge nickel 5 wraps with space between wraps it ohms out at about .05

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
If you want to build, and you like tanks, get an RTA. A Boreas, for example. I'd recommend an Indulgence MT, but they are tough to wick until you learn how.

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
like the griffin as well do have the rba for crown but havent tried it yet. Still new to rba and coil building altogether. Pretty much suck at it lol.

Last edited:

Tootall

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Honestly I just started building my own rba coils for the kanger toptank mini and I found it easy as hell no special tools just the screwdriver they gave me and a set of needlenose pliers and I haven't screwed one coil up yet i just had to fiddle with my cotton at first. People talk about how its hard to wrap nickel wire. I had absolutely no problem wrapping 26 awg nickel wire around the screwdriver they gave me. I was expecting it to be harder. I might try a drip tip but I like having a tank is there a better rba tank than the toptank mini?? Otherwise I will stay with this tank and get a dripper for at home use only. I don't know much about building but I can learn anything.

Tootall

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Correction if I thought I knew what I was doing I was wrong the way I did this coil is so much better it makes me happy to know it can only get better from here. Same coil just better with the cotton the cotton is the hardest part for me.

VU Sponsors