Become a Patron!

Flavor banger RTA

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Okay, so I am back again asking for some direction on choosing an RTA. I have never used an RTA, and I currently use RDAs on my squonker which I love, but I am looking for something a bit more portable and I think it's time to try out an RTA.

I'm looking for a flavor banger RTA and top airflow sounds like a good idea to reduce leaking as I practice proper wicking. I am leaning towards the QP juggernaut mini, which is single coil and I like the design. I am looking for smaller RTAs but I'm open to anything as long as it has great flavor, not too much airflow, and has a reasonable price tag.

What is your favorite RTA and why?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Jugg MR, Kylin Mini, Druga, Damn Vape Doom X for mesh, Taifun GT4 but it depends on what reasonable means, if it means less than 100 or less than 50 then not the GT.

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Well the Taifun is definitely a bit pricey for my first RTA but I will definitely keep it in mind for the future. Which one do you like best between the Jugg MR, Kylin Mini, and Druga? I like a medium tight draw BTW.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I like all 3, Kylin Mini has the most airflow, but not talking a big difference. So any of those are great for that type of draw.
Depends on what mod I want to use :) or, like picking a setup rather than just the atty.
Of the 3, the MR isn't ever going to seep, like some bottom air flows might if you don't rewick often.

Probably won't find a new Kylin Mini (not the V2). Still a great RTA even when comparing to newer.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I found the Juggerknot Mini to be very difficult to build and wick properly. I don't even use mine because I can't get it to stop giving me dry hits.

A good beginner tank would be the Oumier Wasp Nano RTA. It's inexpensive, small (2 ml I think), easy to build, and has decent flavor and vapor.

Also, a Steam Crave Aromamizer Lite would be a good choice if you can find one. Again, a small-ish tank, easy to build, and the flavor on them is terrific.

My favorite RTAs that are still available here and there: (1) the Geekvape Zeus X (either the regular model or mesh), but some people have had difficulty building them, too, so I wouldn't suggest as a first RTA, and (2) Steam Crave Aromamizer Supreme V3, which is by no means small but is a piece of gear I believe I can continue to use for a really long time and never get tired of it.

RTAs are a different animal to build from RDAs. They're much more dependent on wicking being "just right," and the consequences of wicking not being right are more in-your-face. RDAs are extremely forgiving in comparison.

ETA: I just realized that you specifically asked about top-airflow RTAs, and the two I recommended are not top-airflow. Senior moment, I guess, but I still think. of the top-airflow RTAs I've used, they either are too finicky for a new-ish builder or they are impossible to find now (like the Augvape Intake - that would be a great one if you could find the OG, or the OBS Engine Nano - has been impossible to find for several years). Not a lot of good choices for top airflow, from my perspective, but I haven't tried the Kylin Mini.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
There's 2 Jugg Mini's. I never owned the 1st one because I thought it was ugly, like the Intake that came after it. The second Jugg Mini, referred to as MR, is easy to wick , If the coil is 3id you'll thin it quite a bit and less as you go to 2.5 or 2 id. And always pretty short. Should be pretty obvious when you put it in the ports, how packed it is, or isn't.

Since you went from G2 pod straight to BB, then squonkers, coils, and RDA's, you can probably handle whatever RTA you choose.

1658769153967.jpeg

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Since you went from G2 pod straight to BB, then squonkers, coils, and RDA's, you can probably handle whatever RTA you choose.

Yes I am a true vapor enthusiast, and I really like to work with various hobbies, but I have found that this is a pay to play situation where you kinda get what you get and you have to rely on the advice of others and I come here for that exact reason!!!

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I dunno if u want the original specifically, but the kmv2 is def one of the best all around top airflow tanks ive tried.

The only thing that might be a 'thing' with it is that ive heard it said that there is not enough space between the chamber and the straight glass tube so it hurts wicking. *shrug*

I wouldnt know, i dont use bubble glass and it has always worked fine for me. Enough that i bought 3 more.

Its just easy to wick, very forgiving if u do it right, supersmooth airflow, well knurled for getting it apart (compared to others), dimensions dont make it look akward, just a well thought out tank. (It does really need a full 25mm or so to fit on a sbs because of that knurling, just a heads up)

P.s. the only other perspective i can give u is that i have used tanks like the augvape dual and the o.g. zeus single coil with those same sidewall airflow types, and the kylin mv2 was extremely noticably smoother because of the honeycomb, but the other 2 were great also.

Otherwise i have no experience with the others u mentioned

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Number one is the Reload Vapor USA ~ OG Reload (24mm RTA). Short answer, it's because it is imposssible to know why unless you've tried it. Long answer, all the other RTAs excepting only the Deathwish Modz ~ Isolation (26mm RTA) are incapable of holding a candle flavor wise to the best flavor RDAs. Both of them are extremely hard to find now. You'd almost certainly have to buy used. Even then, the used ones either will be completely battered to the point of having been reduced to scrap metal a few years ago or will still be very hard to find. Or worse, people who have them never sell them─due to how great the RTAs perform.

They are relatively expensive RTAs, which makes them overpriced especially according to those who have never been able to afford getting them. The reason why positive user reviews are scarce is due to a combination of factors. Firstly, if more people are convinced that the RTAs are overpriced, then fewer people buy them, no matter how much these people can afford. You have to WANT to afford these things. So, it's a hard sell. Reviewers on YouTube don't make enough money from subscribers and likes, if not enough people are interested in the product under review. Whatever it is that YouTube claims to be better for flavor, that's what most people spend their money on. So, it's all about marketing. I.e., not about the flavor. Getting people to try properly installed (and properly wicked up........), handbuilt, complex, coils of various types to get a rudimentary shred of an idea of how flavor can be like is even much harder than it is to fight against windmills. Next thing you know, YouTube starts to remove content and starts shadow banning people's account. And you already know why.

In a nutshell? If people are too lazy to learn to buy a proper set of handbuilt complex coils and get the coils ready for vaping, let alone learn to BUILD a poper set of complex coils with just a cordless drill and a swivel tool, then is it really any wonder that they don't understand about flavor? Personally, I, own a multi-thousand Euros collection of RDAs, the vast majority of which are high end. That doesn't make me an exception, though. My determination and my dedication to my flavor chasing hobby do. Whereas those who always were more interested in showing off their coilbuilding skills purely for the sake of using the pics to achieve marketing goals have left the building (and have left coilbuilding). There now, I said it........

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Are you not a fan of mesh?
I definitely am not.

The flavor performance is not bad, especially with the Horizontech Falcon King equipped with the Falcon M1 (wood pulp) coil. The longevity of this specific mesh coil is also noticeably much longer compared to what's called average for a drop in coil, albeit still more expensive in the long run, compared to either cutting your own mesh strips for rebuildable mesh type atomizers (RBA mesh) or traditional type of RBAs. But the best flavor RDAs still have a much higher flavor potential. "Potential" = it takes time and effort to learn how to get results that live up to the true potential that is engendered by these specific RBAs, and, merely coiling two pieces of round wire up around a 2.5mm screwdriver simply won't get you there. Nor even gets you close.

Reload RTA coil build.jpg

Another thing to maybe also want to consider is, with mesh (any type of mesh), you always face the unexpected risk of getting a serious hotspot. So, you'd need to carry around a spare atomizer and/or carry around some kind of backup. With a pair of intricate, handbuilt Nichrome 80 alien coils in a decent RDA on top of a decent mech, you don't have that problem. Remember what I said about dedication. A lot of hard work goes into learning about various types of mechs, batteries and battery safety. It doesn't stop at learning to build an RBA. The flavor chasing hobby doesn't. Some might call that elitist. (Personally, I, always like to take those kinds of remarks as a compliment.)

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I definitely am not.

The flavor performance is not bad, especially with the Horizontech Falcon King equipped with the Falcon M1 (wood pulp) coil. The longevity of this specific mesh coil is also noticeably much longer compared to what's called average for a drop in coil, albeit still more expensive in the long run, compared to either cutting your own mesh strips for rebuildable mesh type atomizers (RBA mesh) or traditional type of RBAs. But the best flavor RDAs still have a much higher flavor potential. "Potential" = it takes time and effort to learn how to get results that live up to the true potential that is engendered by these specific RBAs, and, merely coiling two pieces of round wire up around a 2.5mm screwdriver simply won't get you there. Nor even gets you close.

View attachment 195277

Another thing to maybe also want to consider is, with mesh (any type of mesh), you always face the unexpected risk of getting a serious hotspot. So, you'd need to carry around a spare atomizer and/or carry around some kind of backup. With a pair of intricate, handbuilt Nichrome 80 alien coils in a decent RDA on top of a decent mech, you don't have that problem. Remember what I said about dedication. A lot of hard work goes into learning about various types of mechs, batteries and battery safety. It doesn't stop at learning to build an RBA. The flavor chasing hobby doesn't. Some might call that elitist. (Personally, I, always like to take those kinds of remarks as a compliment.)
Tis why i asked...
I dont use mesh rebuildables either, not necessarily for the same reasons, but totally get it

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OFRF Gear was a flavor banger. I had the OG before Wotofo bought them. I see they did a V2, don't know about that one.
It's small in form and capacity, only 2 ml or 3.5 with a bubble glass. Pulling right off the coil with a short chimney, good flavor.

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Well just checking back in with what I ended up choosing and how it's going. I decided upon the Augvape Druga and I would have to say that I am pretty satisfied.

I like the airflow wide open, it is smooth and has nice restriction. I put a pretty big 3mm id, 8 wrap, tricore clapton in there ohming out at 0.54 which is great for a single 21700 device. The flavor is pretty good and building and wicking was super simple and easy. No dry hits and no leaking.

I figured that my first RTA wouldn't be too difficult as I have experience building and wicking RBAs for boro devices, which can be quite finicky if you've ever dealt with them. As I always I appreciate all the help and sage advice from the community, and I am loving my vape journey. Now I'm on the hunt for another great RTA!!!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Did you get a new mod since last I seen ya?
Is, it + Druga your carry now?
You looking for an all arounder RTA? Single coil? Not specifically for work?

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Aww Vape Fan you know me all to well. I did get a new mod and I went with the Lost Vape Thelema solo despite you saying that you thought it was too tall. I've always wanted a Lost Vape and a single 21700 and it goes great with the Druga as my carry!!!

I wear pretty baggy shorts, cause I'm stuck in the past, and the height actually helps keep it upright in my pocket nicely. I am definitely looking for a good all around RTA now though for at home, car trips etc. and I know you have some good recommendations coming my way.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if I have any recommendations or not ! Since your just going to go out and get what you want to anyways. :devil:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
You know this might result in another mod, sooner than expected,
right? :yes: lol

I've never owned these, so there's that. But based on input, I wouldn't be unhappy with any of these for home/car/etc.
Kylin Mini II:
but the kmv2 is def one of the best all around top airflow tanks ive tried
Legendary:
Reload Vapor USA

https://cheapvaping.deals/steam-crave-aromamizer-plus-v3-rdta

There's always(for now) MR that I could take a little better deal on.

• Wow
Reactions: STX

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
You are very right about needing a new mod sooner than expected. I was thinking a dual 21700 but a dual 18650 at the least because a single 21700 isn't going to cut it for a dual coil RTA.

The Reload looks so nice, but it is only available in gold atm and I'm not a huge fan of gold.

Also Vape Fan, you must have some sort of background in sales or you're just one hell of a wheeler and dealer, cause you know how much I want the QP MR!!! I might have to start selling some other junk I have lying around to keep up with my vapor gear buying habit đź’˛

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Dual coil opens a big door of choices.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Jeez, I've got several dual coil RTAs on single 21700 mods. Boreas V1s and Aromamizers, to be specific. I guess the difference is that I generally don't use one mod all day long, and also, the coils aren't big/complex/heavy. How you build makes a big difference.

I'd recommend about any version of the Aromamizer, but have to admit they aren't the most portable tanks. They tend to dribble a bit if they sit unvaped for a few days, or get laid on one side. I just use mine on my living-room mods so that isn't a problem.

Dead Rabbit RTA is good, and no leaking ever on the one I've got. Top airflow.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The design of the steam crave juice portion i think is masterful, it leads to all the juice pressing down on itself up into the cotton, just by gravity and physics. A lot of potential failure points with the o-rings, but hey, nothings perfect. (I know all do that, but its are all the way at the bottom, allows the classic to be so short but still have capacity)

But it allows u to rewick a second deck and swap it out almost as easy as a push in coil. Its brilliant.

I have it on good authority that the plus vapes better than the supreme for some reason, possibly that extra bottom airflow, and personally i dont dig the supreme that much, but plenty of ppl do

Yachtvape just came out with a dual eclipse also, maybe worth looking at

I only have one Plus, and haven't messed with different builds in it much, but I love the two Supremes I have in rotation. Am not the biggest fan of the Plus, but like I say, I haven't done due diligence on it, really.

I love the Meshlock and Claymore RDAs I have by Yachtvape. I'd try that Eclipse for sure.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
This one gets high marks from those who have bought it.
I'm generally not a fan of the top airflow's because they have that mass of metal at the top. QP did good w/ MR and Jugg V2. And imo this 1's kind of ok because its not as busy, more minimalistic than most. That's my impression anyways.
The bubble for more capacity is pretty ok. Not that gawd awful pot belly look.

I like this reviewer because he just says what he does, and what he likes, and doesn't try to "sell" whatever he's reviewing. Always shows the resistance, wattage, and the 3 uncut/no jump shots vapes give me a good eye on how it actually vapes. (amount of restriction)

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Seems like I do remember one of the models of the Supreme having a problem in that it would let you install the coil module turned completely wrong for having access to the airflow from the outside. I think that might have been the V2. For a company like Steam Crave, experienced as they are and all, that's a ridiculous mistake to make.

Had forgotten about it, frankly, because it is avoidable by just paying attention to how the coil module goes into its housing. But still, I bet someone (or more than one) lost a job over that. What an embarrassment.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Or at least had checked for what exactly they were vaping that day, lol

Well, yeah. That's how we found out about it. Someone here in the forum said, My Supreme suddenly vapes like shit, and several of us started digging to find out why. If you have it lined up wrong, it doesn't cut the air off completely, but it sure destroys the great flavor you'd normally get.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I like this reviewer
I haven't seen him before... good review. I have seen other reviews of this RTA and all seem to like it.
I would really like to try a top airflow design (hate leaks) A bit tight build space for dual coils... wonder if 2.5 mm would work better.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hmm, ok, maybe i will note my pet peeves because maybe they can be fixed after all, or at least me be enlightened by others opinions

1.whenever i turn the juice and air rings, it seems like i get a slight seepage. Not a leak, but just afterwards the rings feel like they have a slightly greasy feel on them. Ive tried changing o rings, it may even be my imagination, so there is that.

2. No matter how far i try to dial it down, it seems hollow, like there is just too much of a chamber area and no matter what just too much [loose, empty space] air seems to be involved.

In fully open dtl mode it is much better, and that really was how it was intended to be used anyway, so, like i said, they r my probs really, not the tanks. I have 2, and i dont use either, but i will definitely always keep one just for its versatility and otherwise overall quality

Ok, on the V2 I have out and set up, if I completely close the airflow, I cannot draw any air through the tank. It gets airy fast, though. To get a pretty restricted DL hit, I open the airflow so that the dark space that's open is about double the size of a sesame seed. Yeah, really. I don't normally keep it quite that restricted, because it alllmossttt whistles, but that's where the draw is most like I like it and the flavor is most intense.

It does act at that point (the 2-sesame-seeds point) like it has more air circulating around inside it than could possibly come in through that tiny little space. I don't know of a remedy for that.

The only thing I've done any differently is to be sure to install the coil module so that the coils are oriented toward the airflow holes that open to the outside. (And of course you can't close the air all the way because you won't be able to see how to line things up.) You'll be able to see whether it was oriented wrong if you just pull the coil straight out and pay attention to how it was lined up.

This one seeps a little bit, too, but usually only if I don't vape it every couple of days.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I hope so.

ETA: There is one thing that I think might help that "hollow" feeling, and that is to fill the deck with cotton except for right underneath the coil where air needs to pass through to reach the coil. If I get a chance this evening, I'll test that.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
If thats your vaping style i really liked the look of the arbiter too, it was a little too big for me tho, like the plus.
Its not my style, just posted it for consideration.
Wouldn't oppose dual but for how I vape I think the reap/reward [2x the coils/2x the wicking/more power to push it] would be minimal. I do have Fatality that I run triple build and that is a flavor explosion. And Asgard Mini is my go to dual RDA atm. Everything else I vape is 1 coil.
1662931583313.png1662931505685.png

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Well I just rebuilt the Druga that was recommended by one of my favorite members Vape Fan!!! Wicking is truly an art and I took my time and reaped the rewards, the flavor is rivaling some of my RDAs

I must say that the coil life on RTAs is much better vs dripping or sqounking, less juice to gum up the coils

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well I just rebuilt the Druga that was recommended by one of my favorite members Vape Fan!!! Wicking is truly an art and I took my time and reaped the rewards, the flavor is rivaling some of my RDAs

I must say that the coil life on RTAs is much better vs dripping or sqounking, less juice to gum up the coils

Wattage? Maybe you need to crank it up a tad. :)

VU Sponsors