Become a Patron!

For you DIY e-juice enthusiasts in Canada ... cheapo flavours...

justin_a_lyesse

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Posted this in DIY e-juice but I figured it would apply here since I'm in the Toronto area.

So I was at my local Asian / Caribbean market the other day and noticed that they had food flavorings on the shelves under "Cool Runnings" brand. They were 150ml (5 oz) bottles and they were priced at $2.79 (CAD$). So considering that Capella sells 120 ml (4 oz) flavors for like $20 and TFA is like 15 ml (1/2 oz) for $3.25, buying some basic flavors at the grocery store can save you some money. Now these flavors may not be quite as concentrated as the "commercial" flavors, but still a great deal. The ingredients are basically water, ethyl alcohol, PG and natural / artificial flavors. I made a 15ml batch of juice with 10% pineapple, 5% orange and 5% cherry (the rest being 60% PG and 40% VG) and it came out very nice. I only steeped it for 3 days so I assume it would improve the flavors if I steep it for a week. Of course their flavor selection is not as vast or complex as the big guys, but you can still get a bunch of good flavors:

Orange
Pineapple
Banana
Island Rum
Dark Rum
Brandy
Coconut
Almond
Anise
Vanilla (not extract, just flavor)
Mint
Lemon
Cherry
Hazelnut

Now if you want a more concentrated flavor, you can pour it in a saucepan on low heat and slowly reduce it by half to get a concentrated flavor. I have reduced my pineapple by 50% in about 20 minutes of slow simmering and doing that boiled off the water and ethyl alcohol. The resulting "concentrated" flavor seems much thicker in consistency and smells more pungent.

Just look around your local market and experiment. Read the ingredients and if you don't like what you see, don't buy it. Simple as that. Some may contain artificial colors, some don't.

Has anyone else tried this?

VU Sponsors