Become a Patron!

Freemax Maxus 200W & 100W TC KITS - Innovation

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the 200w & 100W Maxus TC Kits from Freemax. Both kits were supplied for the purpose of this review by Tina from Freemax.

https://www.freemaxvape.com/maxus-200w-kit/

https://www.freemaxvape.com/maxus-100w-kit/

Introduction

I remember about 4 years ago when Freemax first came to the attention of the vaping world they released a pretty handsome looking Resin finish dual 18650 device but the performance of their sub-ohm tanks and coil technology took off with a life all of their own so for obvious reasons Freemax for years concentrated on becoming global leaders when it comes to tanks and mesh coil technology.

Now that it seems they are that far ahead of the pack when it comes to their tanks and coils they have been able to start flexing their muscles in other directions and we have seen an avalanche of products from them in recent times which still incorporate their world beating coil heads at the forefront.

Here we have the first full size mods for 4 years from Freemax, the Maxus 200w and 100W which come paired with their 2 latest premium sub-ohm tanks. The Maxus mods boast very user friendly interfaces, full suite of the most popular modes, Type C USB and real innovation when it comes to battery polarity. The Maxus 100W allows the accommodation of a 21700, 20700 or 18650 with supplied adaptor which can be fitted either way and the Maxus 200W is a dual 18650 device which will allow any battery configuration including just one battery to be used either way at a reduced max wattage of 80w.

This is possibly the most innovation seen with mods for a considerable time, so let's crack on and give the Maxus 200w and 100w Kits a closer look!

In The Boxes

Contents:

Maxus 200W Kit:

5ml Standard Edition

1×Freemax Maxus 200W VW Mod
1×Freemax Maxus Pro 2 Tank Resin Edition(Freemax 904L M2 Mesh Coil 0.2ohm)
1×Extra Freemax 904L M1 Mesh Coil 0.15ohm
1×Extra Glass Tube 5ml
1×Extra O-ring
1×Type-C USB Cable
1×Warning Card
1×Warranty Card
1×User Manual

2ml TPD Edition

1×Freemax Maxus 200W VW Mod
1×Freemax M Pro 2 Tank Resin Edition(Freemax 904L M2 Mesh Coil 0.2ohm)
1×Extra Freemax 904L M1 Mesh Coil 0.15ohm
1×Extra Glass Tube
1×Extra O-ring
1×Type-C USB Cable
1×Warning Card
1×Warranty Card
1×User Manual

Maxus 100W Kit:

5ml Standard Edition

1×Freemax Maxus 100W VW Mod
1×Freemax Fireluke 3 Tank Resin Edition (Freemax 904L X2 Mesh Coil 0.2ohm pre-installed)
1×Extra Freemax 904L X1 Mesh Coil 0.15ohm
1×Extra Glass Tube 5ml
1×Extra O-ring
1×Type-C USB Cable
1×Warning Card
1×Warranty Card
1×User Manual

2ml TPD Edition

1×Freemax Maxus 100W VW Mod
1×Freemax Fireluke 3 Tank Resin Edition (Freemax 904L X2 Mesh Coil 0.2ohm pre-installed)
1×Extra Freemax 904L X1 Mesh Coil 0.15ohm
1×Extra Glass Tube
1×Extra O-ring
1×Type-C USB Cable
1×Warning Card
1×Warranty Card
1×User Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

Both Kits come packaged in a cardboard Box with outer cardboard sleeve with the device in the top layer and tank and other accessories in the lower layer with the Maxus 200W Kit and both device and tank in the upper layer with the Maxus 100W Kit.

Both devices have a very old school style box form factor with the Maxus 100W being much more slender but both have bevelling so no sharp edges and curved sides to help with ergonomics. We have protruding square metal fire and navigational buttons and the most striking aesthetic feature is the Resin sections on the removable battery panel (i'm convinced they are Resin and not just stickers which is good to see). Covering both Kits in the same review while making sense as many things including displays and menu systems are identical on both devices does make it quite a long review so i will wrap up this section here and let the photos of both devices do the talking!

Maxus 200W Mod Specs and Features:

Output Voltage: 0.7-8.4V
Input Voltage: 3.3-4.2V (Single battery) / 6.6-8.4V (Dual battery)
Output Wattage: 5-200W/100-315℃/200-600℉
Output Mode: Power/VPC/Bypass/TC-TI/TC-SS/TC-NI/TCR
Resistance Range: 0.1-3ohm
Battery: 18650×2 (SmartLoad Tech, Support Single/Dual Battery)
Charger Specification: 5V/2A
Size: L90.5×W52.5×H28.6mm
Support Single/Dual 18650 Battery with the SmartLoad Tech
Type-C USB port, 2A fast charging
Multiple protections for safe vaping
Multiple output modes and smart coil detection function
Colour/Designs: Orange-Green, Red-Blue, Blue-Yellow, Black-Orange, Yellow-Black, Green-Red

M Pro 2 Tank Specs and Features:

Size: L59.85×D25mm
Capacity: 5ml/2ml(TPD)
Working Wattage: 40-110W
Material: SS904L/Tea Fiber Cotton/SS/Resin
Advanced COILTECH 4.0 for excellent flavor
Military grade SS904L mesh and tea fiber cotton
Upgraded top-fill mechanism without leakage
Thread: 510
Drip Tip: 810
Colours: Green, Red, Blue, Yellow, Black, Orange

Maxus 100W Mod Specs and Features:

Output Voltage: 0.7-7.5V
Input Voltage: 3.3-4.2V
Output Wattage: 5-100W/100--315℃/200--600℉
Output Mode: Power/VPC/Bypass/TC-TI/TC-SS/TC-NI/TCR
Resistance Range: 0.1-3ohm
Battery: 21700/20700/18650 (SmartLoad Tech - Load at Will)
Charger Specification: 5V/2A
Size: L90.2×W37.5×H28mm
Compatible with 21700/20700/18650 battery with the SmartLoad Tech
Type-C USB port, 2A fast charging and multiple protections
Multiple protections for safe vaping
Multiple output modes and smart coil detection function
Colour/Designs: Blue-Green, Yellow-Blue, Orange-Black, Black-Red, Red-Yellow, Green-Orange

Fireluke 3 Tank Specs and Features:

Size: L49×D28.2mm(Standard Vertion)
49×25.5mm (TPD)
Capacity: 3m/2ml(TPD)
Coil: 904L X2 Mesh Coil 0.2ohm(pre-installed)
904L X1 Mesh Coil 0.15ohm
Working Wattage: 20 -90W
Material: SS904L /Tea Fiber Cotton/SS/Resin
FM COILTECH 4.0 technology
Upgraded Top-Fill Mechanism for easily refill
0.2ohm X2/0.15ohm X1 Mesh Coil for pure flavor
Thread: 510
Drip Tip: 810
Colours: Blue, Yellow, Red, Black, Orange, Green

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Fireluke 3 and M Pro 2 Tanks Overviews

The first thing to point out their could be some confusion as the standard versions of the kit has the tanks named as the Maxluke and Maxus Pro tanks but they are the Fireluke 3 and M Pro 2 tanks just for some reason only known to Freemax given different names for the purpose of the standard kits.

The M Pro 2 tank that comes with the Maxus 200 is quite a bit bigger than the Fireluke 3 and has a 5ml capacity (2ml TPD version) while the Fireluke 3 has smaller dimensions and has a standard 3ml capacity while the bubble glass brings the capacity to a M Pro 2 matching 5ml.

İmage İmage

Apart from the dimensions both tanks have a very similar design and look with a construction of intertwined Resin and Stainless Steel giving them an aesthetic wow factor in my opinion. Both tanks have a resin 810 up top and the same slide open fill method which features Freemax's new design incorporating 3 ball bearings for extra friction to prevent the tanks opening when not wanted. The design works great and if i have any issue it's that the top-cap doesn't slide open far enough in my opinion so it gets in the way of bigger bottles when filling, other than that you won't find better designed sub-ohm tanks!

Both the Fireluke 3 and M Pro 2 tank coil heads use the latest Freemax Coiltech 4.0 technology which uses military grade SS904L Mesh and Tea Fiber cotton formula which comprises of 95% Tea Fiber Cotton and 5% Organic Cotton mix, they do however use a different coil family to each other. Included with the M Pro 2 tank in the Maxus 200w kit are the M1 Mesh Coil head 0.15ohm and the M2 Mesh coil head 0.2ohm. Coming with the Fireluke 3 tank in the Maxus 100W Kit is the X1 Mesh coil head 0.15ohm and the X2 Mesh coil head 0.2ohm. As well as the included coil heads there are other available options.

Fitting The Battery/Batteries

Both devices use Freemax's new SmartLoad Technology allowing batteries to be fitted in any orientation, so bang goes my go to con of poorly marked orientation!

The Maxus 100W Mod accommodates a single 21700, 20700 or 18650 with the supplied adaptor which can be fitted in either orientation. When fitting a 21700 battery it was that tight a fit i had to force it in position so the panel would go on and when the battery ran out of charge it took me ages to get it out with the battery ribbon being no help at all so once i finally did get it out (damaging the wrap) i didn't risk a 21700 again and switched to an 18650. I informed Freemax and the good news is not only were they aware of the problem they have already altered the moulding so a 21700 will fit much easier so problem solved!

The Maxus 200W accommodates dual 18650 batteries that can be put in any configuration and the device works fine, both positives up, both negatives up, one negative up and the other down, one positive up and the other down or doing either the Tango or Waltz it doesn't matter. Also the device will operate with just one battery installed (again orientation doesn't matter) at a reduced top wattage of 80W.

This must be the most innovation seen for a long time and has been achieved rather than by the use of Diodes so seeing large voltage drops and loads of heat generated Freemax have used 14 separate high quality Mosfets with each one either combining or not to particular others depending on the battery configuration identified. Looking at the PCB everything is nicely spaced so heat is dissipated easily and no voltage drop of any real note, maybe the 3.2v cutoff with all the mosfets cause enough drop off to become 3.3v as stated in the specifications but the device while testing seems very efficient so no issues at all with battery life.

Both battery panels snap into place via strong magnets but when testing for it there is slight side to side movement but i didn't notice it during use and again these samples that have been sent out are prototypes so the retail version may see no movement.

Display

Both devices have very basic displays which simply give the information needed in a well laid out uncluttered fashion. Top left we have the mode and then top right we either have a single horizontal battery status bar on the Maxus 100W or Maxus 200W when only one battery is installed or two vertical battery status bars on the Maxus 200w with both batteries installed. We then have the Wattage, Temperature or Voltage depending which mode you are in.

On the bottom half of the display we have top the puff count, then the resistance and then voltage when in Wattage (Power) mode. When in Bypass mode wattage is displayed instead and when in TC first we have the TCR value followed by wattage.

Operating The Maxus 100W and 200W Devices

Both devices have the same user interface and functions with the Maxus 100W adjusting in 1W increments from 5W to 100W and the Maxus 200W adjusting again in 1W increments between 5W and 80W with one battery installed and 5W to 200W with both, neither device round robins!

The devices are the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and once on the only combination button press feature is both navigational buttons together locks and unlocks those buttons but the device will still fire.

Both devices have the same list driven user interface which is very simple to use. To enter that menu is three quick clicks of the fire button which brings up a list of options which are Mode, Set, Info and Exit. Exit obviously just takes you back to your previous working screen while Info brings up another list allowing you to check the status of each battery, software version and temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.

Set is your extra settings which when selected brings up another list of options which are Timeout, Coil test, Puff, Time, Temp Unit, Reset and Exit which are all self explanatory. Finally Mode is all the working modes which when selected brings up a list of the following options, Power(wattage), VPC(curves), Bypass, TC-TI, TC-SS, TC-NI, TCR 1, 2, 3 (which are three TCR memory slots), that's it, all you need on a device yet very easy to navigate!

The last thing to mention is when a new coil is detected or if using an RTA it is obviously the new resistance it's detecting the wattage does adjust to a safe limit so you don't fry your coil but unlike some devices that have this feature it doesn't actually adjusts to a suitable vaping wattage as it goes far too low, for example when detecting 0.20ohm it adjusts to just 20W, i'm quite neutral on this and still feel it's good that newer vapers won't fry their coils and would imagine a firmware upgrade will make the device adjust to a more realistic vaping wattage.

Protections:

Low Resistance Protection
Open Circuit Protection
10/s Timeout protection
Over-charge Protection
Over-discharge Protection
Short Circuit Protection
High Temperature Protection
Low Voltage Protection

Charging

As always i don't recommend charging your batteries in the device unless it's your only option but if you do i am pleased that both the Maxus 100W and 200W devices have Type C USB and a 2A charge rate, while also supporting pass-through.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

My Experience Using The Maxus Kits And Thoughts!

Both tanks are as good as it gets when it comes to Sub-ohm tanks with coils that give superior flavour and longevity and are Freemax's latest premium releases so loads of detailed reviews of each tank if not already out there will become readily available pretty much unanimously saying how awesome they are.

The upgrades from their previous tanks is the use of Resin within the Stainless Steel construction (purely aesthetic) and the introduction of 3 ball bearings given more friction when sliding open so preventing the tanks opening in your pocket. As well as using the tanks i did over the last week stick both tanks in my pocket when out and about and no issues with them even part opening, that added tolerance the ball bearings give also adds a nice feel when opening.

The tanks use different coils (although the same Freemax 4.0 coil technology) and the M Pro 2 is noticeably bigger but both have practically the same design and features and perform similar but i found the M Pro 2 was capable of giving much more air and also needed an extra 10W compared to a coil for the Fireluke 3 with the same ohm resistance, both give a really smooth draw. My only con for both tanks is the top-caps don't open far enough to avoid being an obstacle to larger bottles when filling, i found this to be worse with the Fireluke 3 tank!

The Mods are fantastic and show the most innovation i can remember for a very long time. How big a deal being able to put your batteries in any which way you please will change from individual to individual but the most common complaint i hear is lack of Innovation so it needs praising when a manufacturer does something different else their is no encouragement.

Now i am not that technically minded so being an honest person most soundbites and explaining on how Freemax has achieved their SmartLoad technology came from watching a Mooch Video where it's explained but i dumbed down my explanation because trying to sound as smart as Mooch when explaining it would of made me look a fool but i covered the basics. I can also confirm from using both devices there is absolutely no heat issue as the devices stay cool even when chain vaping and any voltage drop is comfortably compensated for in efficiency as battery life with both devices compared favourably to other single and dual battery devices i have used.

I had that one issue with a 21700 battery fitting too tight in the Maxus 100W but Freemax have already addressed that issue but there are a few other cons although quite petty to me. First both battery panels do have slight movement which needs mentioning but i didn't notice it when in use and again Freemax might well address this before retail production. Also the 510 plate not being centred on the Maxus 200W seems copied from the Drag 2 and i just don't like, also on both devices the 510 plate is raised so you will get gaping with bigger tanks although for some reason i only really noticed it when using RTA's rather than the M Pro 2 and Fireluke 3.

Tanks up to 26mm will fit very nicely on both devices while 28mm will hang over the bevelled edging but not the device it'self but that gaping will be much more noticeable.

I don't find any of the cons for these devices deal breakers and they both performed flawlessly hitting set wattage instantly and giving a consistent vape whether i was using the supplied tanks, RDL RTA or even a MTL RTA right down at 12W. I love how simple the device is to navigate and the available mode options, when it comes to TC though as always i would check out a review that specifically covers that as i don't have the equipment to give accurate information. As always i don't recommend charging the battery/batteries in the device but if you do need to then at least these devices have Type C USB, 2A charging and supports pass-through.

vaping products often get over-hyped, after all we are enthusiastic vapers and can get carried away but these two kits i can only see living up to the hype they will generate and becoming 2 of the best selling kits, very impressed, Kudos to Freemax!!!

İmage İmage

Very well made devices and sub-ohm tanks
Real resin used in panel sections and on tanks
Due to nature of Resin all devices and tanks will be aesthetically unique
Plenty of Colour/Design options
SmartLoad technology, batteries can be fitted in any orientation. (Innovation)
Maxus 200 can run off one battery
Maxus 100 can accommodate 21700, 20700 or 18650 with supplied adaptor
Very user friendly list driven interface
Plenty of mode options
Curves
Bypass
TC, plus 3 TCR memory slots (not tested)
Excellent performance
Worked 100% reliably
Both included tanks are Excellent (Freemax's latest premium tanks)
Latest Coiltech 4.0 technology with Tea Fiber formula
Both tanks come with 2 different coil heads
Both tanks come with a spare glass
New Ball bearing system adds extra friction preventing tanks opening by accident
Type C USB
2A charge rate
Supports pass-through
Firmware upgradeable

Cons

Top-cap on both tanks get in the way of larger bottles when filling (worse with Fireluke 3)
21700 battery fit too tight in Maxus 100W (Freemax have now altered the moulding)
Slight movement of battery panels (both devices)
Raised 510 courses gaping (more noticeable with atty's larger than 24mm)
510 not centre mounted on Maxus 200W

I would once again like to thank Tina from Freemax for supplying both Maxus kits for the purpose of this review, thanks for reading and stay safe!

https://www.freemaxvape.com/maxus-200w-kit/

https://www.freemaxvape.com/maxus-100w-kit/

VU Sponsors