Become a Patron!

Fuel Cell - New to RDA, but familiar with RTA

Nightowl001

Member For 4 Years
I was given a MOD Fuel Fuel Cell. I am familiar with rebuilding an RTA, which I figure is similar to the RDA, but I'm only going to use the Fuel Cell for testing new flavors that I make. I have a few apps that I use to calculate coils, but have never built dual coils. I have thought about trying that; just haven't done it. I have the IPV D2, which claims to fire down to .2 Ohms. I vape two different tanks (Nautilus Mini @1.6 Ohms & The Subtank using the RTA @ .75 Ohms).

My questions are:

What recommendations do you have for building coils? Wire gauge? (I have 26g kanthal). Diameter of coil? I currently build @2.5mm. Should I consider the temp setting and switch to that type of wire too? I'm thinking I should stay as close to the RTA setup and build it out to the .75 Ohms as that is the main one I use. If I were to switch to the temp setting, I would start building my RTA with that wire too, but I have a concern I will forget to switch it back when I switch to the Nautilus Mini.

I understand that each RTA/tank/RDA/coil will have a somewhat different taste, and sometimes a drastically different taste, but I figure a free RDA needs to be put to use, especially this one, and it would be a great way to tell of I'm on the right path with the different flavors that I make instead of having to tear down a tank, clean it, rebuild it...ect...I could quickly rewick the RDA if needed in the cases of "that tasted like S@#!"!!!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Me, currently:
Wotofo Lush RDA
Kanthal 26 gauge, twisted
Dual, 3mm ID, 6/7 wrap, .27 ohm

http://www.steam-engine.org/
Coil Wrapping and Wire Wizard tabs

I like twisted way better than single wire. You'll note in the Wire Wizard that it asks for twist pitch. Getting an accurate measurement on that makes quite a bit of difference when you're estimating ohms. If you measure the distance between one ridge to another, that's your measurement. It might be difficult trying to measure that tiny space, so remember that you can count the total ridges in a 10mm or 20mm length of wire and divide to get your number.

This last batch of wire I twisted, I ended up with a twist pitch of 2.5mm. Didn't think I twisted it tight enough. But so far, that's been the best vape I've had.

For dual coil, take your ohm measurement for one coil and divide by 2. That should be close to your exact total ohm reading on the RDA. Steam Engine will calculate that for you if you pick "dual" in the correct drop-down area.

Get an ohm meter if you don't have one already. Ceramic tweezers work well. Some people like tweaking their coils while firing, but I don't like doing that... the coils are too flexible when they're that hot. Ruined every coil when doing it that way. If you get those twisted coils firing perfectly (firing at the same time/no hot spots) right when you install them, you can change out cotton quite a few times without having to adjust them again.

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In general, go for dual horizontal coils with an RDA. Align the coils so they are evenly in the juice well on each side and make sure airflow can get under the coils. This sort of build is simple, 26ga Kanthal 3mm ID. Just enough wick to touch the base of the deck. Here's a quick build on my new RDA:

8dda6f7d8e769abb300d489a4ea3c944.jpg

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
26g is a great place to start, actually IMO the best. No reason to get ahead of yourself and go off ordering a bunch of stuff now. Start playing with what you got. If you find you want something with lower resistance, grab some 24g or even 22g. Need more resistance and 28g.

I'd also highly suggest twisted, twisted 26g will act similarly to regular 24g, but it'll heat up less quickly than the strait 24g which is great. It doesn't have ramp up issues but more just doesn't overheat and scorch the cotton like a strait wire can do. Twisted also adds surface area (more wick being heated, so more vapor).

As far as I'm concerned twisted is an all around improvement and so easy to do there's no reason not to. Just take a 1 1/2 ft bit of wire, string it through a coffee mug handle (can use just about anything with a loop to secure to, just something basically anyone has) then fold the wire in half so the loop part is around that handle. Get a grip on the loose ends with some pliers (maybe wrap around the pliers to secure tightly). Apply a little pressure pulling apart and start twisting the mug. You can get it done in a minute or two.

So yeah, just stick with the 26g for now, when that's out consider what you like/didn't like and maybe get something else then, or a couple different things, whatever you're feeling like. But, the key is to play with it and get an idea of what you want out of your build and learn how to achieve it.

VU Sponsors