Futurama: John DiMaggio Will Return, Officially Ending #Bendergate

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The Futurama revival coming to Hulu will return with its full voice cast including John DiMaggio who has agreed to reprise his role as Bender.

According to Deadline, DiMaggio has signed on to return to Futurama in the upcoming 20-episode revival season. He will once again voice Bender, a bending unit with a penchant for booze, gambling, and any other kind of vice.

This means that Futurama will have its original voice cast when the series returns to Hulu. When a revival series was announced, DiMaggio was the only voice actor not yet signed to return and the producers promised to try their best to get DiMaggio or recast the role.

However, DiMaggio asked that the studio pay him, as well as the cast, more for their services particularly since Futurama and characters like Bender are so beloved. DiMaggio revealed that he was negotiating with producers for a better contract.

The saga resulted in a social media campaign called [HASH=199199]#bendergate[/HASH], which DiMaggio also used while addressing the situation. According to producers, plans to recast the role never went far and producers table read for Bender while negotiations with DiMaggio continued.

DiMaggio announced the news by saying “I’m back, baby!” and thanked fans, colleagues, and his wife for being able to return to the role.

“#Bendergate is officially over, so put it on the back of a shelf behind Xmas decorations, or maybe in the kitchen drawer with all of the other crap you put in there like old unusable crazy glue, or maybe even put it in a jar you save farts in. Whatever floats your boat, I don’t care, you get the picture. I”m back, Baby! Bite my shiny metal ass!”

Futurama is an animated sci-fi comedy from The Simpsons creator Matt Groening about a 20th-century pizza delivery boy who finds himself in the year 3000. He joins an intergalactic delivery team alongside his best friend Bender and captain Leela.

DiMaggio will join other original cast members Billy West, Katey Sagal, Tress MacNeille, Maurice LaMarche, Lauren Tom, Phil LaMarr, and David Herman.

Matt T.M. Kim is IGN's News Editor. You can reach him @lawoftd.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors