Become a Patron!

Futurama: Voice Actors Support John DiMaggio As '#Bendergate' Trends On Social Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Yesterday's news that Futurama is being revived (again) on Hulu was met with joy from fans of Matt Groening's animated sci-fi comedy. However, that joy quickly turned to frustration when it became clear that a major cast member hadn't yet signed on: John DiMaggio, the voice of Bender.

Since then, DiMaggio's absence has sparked a major backlash under the hashtag "#bendergate." Fans contend that the series won't be the same without DiMaggio's Bender, who has delivered many of the show's most memorable lines.

DiMaggio himself is leaning into the backlash. The actor has spent much of the day sharing articles about fans threatening a boycott and re-tweeting accusations that Hulu is "lowballing Bender."

Voice actor James Andomian, who has voiced roles in Rugrats and Bob's Burgers, wrote in support of DiMaggio, "Everyone in the industry saw the audition notice go out two weeks ago for Bender, asking for a voice match for John DiMaggio. Seeing it, I said out loud 'Shove it!' in my best Bender voice, which will always just be a fanboy cosplay of John DiMaggio."

Animation director Kelly Turnbull called Futurama's reported attempt to replace DiMaggio an example of a wider issue with the animation industry.

"I feel like the idea of [John DiMaggio] as a replaceable element of Futurama is part of a wider issue of an industry that doesn’t respect voice actors on the same level as live action actors. You'll see voice actors who MADE a character treated like no live action actor would be," Turnbull tweeted.

Asked why DiMaggio had yet to sign on with Futurama, co-star Billy West, who plays Fry, wrote, "I think he's looking for the right pen."

Thanks for the concern and the props, everyone. I really appreciate it. Don’t worry, I’ll keep you posted, but until then… CHEESE IT! #bendergate

— John DiMaggio (@TheJohnDiMaggio) February 10, 2022

One of the best-known voice actors in the industry, DiMaggio has appeared in games, movies, and shows since the mid-90s, with Bender arguably being his most famous role. He's also a major part of Disenchantment, where he plays King Zøg.

Many of the comments point to a pay dispute between DiMaggio and the Futurama showrunners. More than a few noted the irony of Hulu using an image of Bender to promote the show's return. DiMaggio, for his part, thanked fans for their concern. "Thanks for the concern and the props, everyone. I really appreciate it. Don't worry, I'll keep you posted, but until then… CHEESE IT! [HASH=199199]#bendergate[/HASH]'."

Futurama is currently set to return on Hulu sometime in 2023, and while a return by DiMaggio hasn't been fully ruled out, it's far from certain. But if DiMaggio is unable to reach an agreement with Futurama showrunners, at least some voice actors are urging their compatriots not to take the role."

"Additional VO tip, in light of news today: don't make attempts to slide in on someone else’s spot," voice actor Andrew Kishino tweeted. "That's a wild greasy maneuver. Respect their position, talent & integrity."

Kat Bailey is a Senior News Editor at IGN

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors