Become a Patron!

Futurama's John DiMaggio Says the Whole Cast Should Be Paid More Amid 'Bendergate'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Futurama star John DiMaggio has spoken up during the ongoing 'Bendergate' controversy online, saying that he and his co-stars should be paid more, and that, “It’s about self-respect."

The 53-year-old voice actor is currently negotiating with the show’s producers for a better deal, and DiMaggio took to Twitter to explain further why he hasn’t signed up for the Futurama revival.

“I’ve been thinking about everything that’s been going on these past months,” said DiMaggio. “And just to be clear, I don’t think that only I deserve to be paid more. I think the entire cast does.”

After the new Futurama revival was announced, a major backlash began trending on Twitter after it became clear that John DiMaggio had been left out – #bendergate had begun. Now, it transpires that his absence is due to ongoing negotiations for the role, and his fellow voice actors have shown their support since.

“Negotiations are a natural part of working in business,” he added. “Everyone has a different strategy and different boundaries. Their ‘price.’ Some accept offers, some hold their ground. Bender is part of my soul and nothing about this is meant to be disrespectful to the fans or my Futurama family.”

Of course, the fans are shaken at the thought of Bender’s original voice actor not returning. but it looks as though most support DiMaggio in his quest.

“It’s about self-respect,” he explained. “And honestly, being tired of an industry that’s become far too corporate and takes advantage of artist’s time and talent. Look, I wish I could give you every detail so you would understand, but it’s not my place. Thanks again for the love everyone. Still hoping for the best.”

According to fellow voice actor James Adomian, Hulu had already begun looking for a replacement for DiMaggio, with an audition notice for the role sent out two weeks ago.

“Seeing it, I said out loud 'Shove it!' in my best Bender voice,” he said via Twitter. “Which will always just be a fanboy cosplay of John DiMaggio.”

Original cast members Billy West, Katey Sagal, Tress MacNeille, Maurice LaMarche, Lauren Tom, Phil LaMarr, and David Herman are all confirmed to return. But John DiMaggio is still holding out.

One of the most recognizable voices in the industry, DiMaggio is perhaps best known for the role of Bender but has also voiced the likes of Jake the Dog in Adventure Time, and King Zøg in Disenchantment.

Futurama is set to return to production later this month.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors