Become a Patron!

FW Butter Pecan - Am I doin it wrong?

sclobernocker47

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK, so Im playing around with recipes for that custard I cant stomach to shell out premium dough for.
I started thinking butter pecan was my missing ingredient. I bought FW Butter Pecan, and from the first whiff, I knew it was exactly what I was looking for.

One problem. It tastes nothing like it smells.

Ive used it in a few different recipes, and they all have the same medicinal/industrial taste to them. Its just god awefull. Nothing buttery or pecany about it! Am I using this stuff wrong? I hear folks using 4-5% and Its just horrible at those levels. Below 2% and its barely noticeable. Ive read overwhelmingly positive reviews for this flavor, but Im just not seeing it.

Could it be a steeping issue? I typically let any non shake&vape sit at least a week before cracking the bottle, but it doesn't do a thing on this flavor. Should I let it sit more? Will it help?

Looking for some advice from anyone who has made something palatable with this stuff.

PatheticMr.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Never used this flavour but I've just had a quick Google and found some quite popular recipes that use it. I'd recommend trying it in someone's else recipe that has good reviews and see if you have the same problem. Could just be the way you perceive the flavour - I'm one of those that tastes nothing but cardamom pods in TPA vanilla bean ice cream and vanilla custard. Tried it in a few recipes and it was all I could taste - but others love them. Unfortunately this may be a problem between this flavour and you !

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OK, so Im playing around with recipes for that custard I cant stomach to shell out premium dough for.
I started thinking butter pecan was my missing ingredient. I bought FW Butter Pecan, and from the first whiff, I knew it was exactly what I was looking for.

One problem. It tastes nothing like it smells.

Ive used it in a few different recipes, and they all have the same medicinal/industrial taste to them. Its just god awefull. Nothing buttery or pecany about it! Am I using this stuff wrong? I hear folks using 4-5% and Its just horrible at those levels. Below 2% and its barely noticeable. Ive read overwhelmingly positive reviews for this flavor, but Im just not seeing it.

Could it be a steeping issue? I typically let any non shake&vape sit at least a week before cracking the bottle, but it doesn't do a thing on this flavor. Should I let it sit more? Will it help?

Looking for some advice from anyone who has made something palatable with this stuff.
Ok i have butter pecan by fw. The chemical taste you are getting is because your mix need the shit shaken out of it and a open steep. Or depending on what you do for work. If you work in say a warehouse job put the bottle in your pocket while walking and moving around. . Open after like the third or fourth day. To help speed up the process. Mix in a bottle your base no nic pg or vg and do the abovementioned after fourth day add nic.,vg,pg shake fast for a minute let sit over night. Vape the next day and poof no chemical taste.lol

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I mixed it at 5% standalone, found it to be pretty spot on, but very strong. I mixed and vaped the next day.

sclobernocker47

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok i have butter pecan by fw. The chemical taste you are getting is because your mix need the shit shaken out of it and a open steep. Or depending on what you do for work. If you work in say a warehouse job put the bottle in your pocket while walking and moving around. . Open after like the third or fourth day. To help speed up the process. Mix in a bottle your base no nic pg or vg and do the abovementioned after fourth day add nic.,vg,pg shake fast for a minute let sit over night. Vape the next day and poof no chemical taste.lol

Hmm, Ill have to give that a shot. I don't normally open steep, but Im willing to do anything. Like I said, Ive seen great reviews, but so far this stuff has been junk in the 3-4 different recipes Ive used.

sclobernocker47

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just loaded up a deck with that 5% mix. Its exactly 1 week old.
Still taste like fungus that grows on a dog turd.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Lol, I've been using it at 10% stand alone, never detected any chemical or other weird taste so far.
Makes me wonder if its a bad batch, or they changed something.

But I'm only running 7-8 watts MTL in 70/30VG, if that has any bearing anyway.
Steeping for 24hrs normally.

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hmm, Ill have to give that a shot. I don't normally open steep, but Im willing to do anything. Like I said, Ive seen great reviews, but so far this stuff has been junk in the 3-4 different recipes Ive used.
Guys its as simple as this. Think of this concept. Do you cook with beer? If yes.... you have to cook out the alcohol to bring out the flavors of what you are cooking all the while the lid is off. If no? Then you need to. lol. You put the bottle in your pocket to be warmed by your body temp. As you walk around you are shaking it an getting paid for it. So simply put . Time in your pocket instead of wearing out your arm shaking it every day for a month. And your body temp acts like a crock pot, warm bath aka heat steep. IE saving a few steps while saying ahead of the game.lol I hope this makes sense.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Guys its as simple as this. Think of this concept. Do you cook with beer? If yes.... you have to cook out the alcohol to bring out the flavors of what you are cooking all the while the lid is off. If no? Then you need to. lol. You put the bottle in your pocket to be warmed by your body temp. As you walk around you are shaking it an getting paid for it. So simply put . Time in your pocket instead of wearing out your arm shaking it every day for a month. And your body temp acts like a crock pot, warm bath aka heat steep. IE saving a few steps while saying ahead of the game.lol
Not many single flavorings require a month long steep, not in my experience, at least. Most of the stuff I mix is shake, then vape, the most I've needed to let anything sit is 4 days, but that contains several flavors. Sure, heating it some could help, but not always, especially if spiced flavorings are involved.

Not all flavorings contain alcohol, I couldn't find anything about alcohol in the flavoring on their page, either, not that FW is the most upfront about what their flavors do contain.

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I will tell you how well this works. 3 of my mixes have ten creams and four custards plus my main flavors.
I personally work in a factory in a fast paced environment & they only take 4 days regardless of what I put in it.

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not many single flavorings require a month long steep, not in my experience, at least. Most of the stuff I mix is shake, then vape, the most I've needed to let anything sit is 4 days, but that contains several flavors. Sure, heating it some could help, but not always, especially if spiced flavorings are involved.

Not all flavorings contain alcohol, I couldn't find anything about alcohol in the flavoring on their page, either, not that FW is the most upfront about what their flavors do contain.
Right but safety comes first. . Miss Huck, I was using the beer as a cooking reference. Not implying that this particular case has alcohol involved. I was simply trying to explain it in grave detail to help them better understand. I am sorry if i confused someone.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol, I've been using it at 10% stand alone, never detected any chemical or other weird taste so far.
Makes me wonder if its a bad batch, or they changed something.

But I'm only running 7-8 watts MTL in 70/30VG, if that has any bearing anyway.
Steeping for 24hrs normally.
Oh didn't even think about the temp. I did 50/50 @ 9-10 watts.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Still taste like fungus that grows on a dog turd.

GEEZ! I hope that's NOT the voice of experience! :gaah:

:D :D

Having read someplace that the recommended flavor amount was between 10-15%, I whipped up a stand alone batch at 12% on March 16th. A couple of days later I gave it a vape. It was not what I was expecting. It tasted like butter pecan! (I was expecting some sweetness) While I got no chemical (or fungus/dog related) flavors, I did get a faint sense FW also included pecan shell notes. :eek:

I wanted a little sweetness and added 1.4% TPA Brown Sugar and 1% TPA Sweetner. I'm revisiting it now and the shell notes are gone. It's a little bit sweet with a rich buttery pecan flavor. I am a happy vaper and when I get my arse in gear, will be mixing it with some FW Butterscotch (and a few other things) to see if I can make a toffee juice I can enjoy.

Ron
---
"Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsing around on the airplane?"-Major T. J. "King" Kong (Dr. Strangelove)

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If not, TFA English Toffee.

Thanks! That would certainly make mixing easier.;)

I've only seen a couple of posts I can recall on that flavor, and I can't remember any of them being very positive. Of course, that certainly does not mean I won't like it though! :bingo:

Ron
---
"Just as no one can be forced into belief, so no one can be forced into unbelief."- Sigmund Freud

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks! That would certainly make mixing easier.;)

I've only seen a couple of posts I can recall on that flavor, and I can't remember any of them being very positive. Of course, that certainly does not mean I won't like it though! :bingo:

Ron
---
"Just as no one can be forced into belief, so no one can be forced into unbelief."- Sigmund Freud
I think I only used it once, but I had no problem with it. It was recommended by @Thunderball, who I haven't see in far too long. I can't even remember what %

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Baseballmom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Shake flavor before mix? I'm stumped...sounds like mixed right, you've tried in multiple recipes, Still tastes like crap to you so probably not a base issue, might be bad batch as mentioned or just not a flavor for your taste buds...many seem to have those flavors others adore but they don't taste good to some....might have to move on and find something similar that works better for you instead. My fw butter pecan tasted like butter pecan, rather accurately, not something I use frequently but on occasion.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If nothing works for you, Nature's Flavors also makes a butter pecan flavor that you can use at roughly the same percentages, maybe a little lower.

I used fw butter pecan the other day at 18% in 60 VG. I also put 3% fw butter cream. I hot water steeped it a couple times and it was delicious. Now 5 days later it's even better. Flavor west suggests 15% on all their flavours for standalone. A little higher for higher vg

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
If nothing works for you, Nature's Flavors also makes a butter pecan flavor that you can use at roughly the same percentages, maybe a little lower.

Yup. I've always thought NF does that flavor best. (all have diketones - IMO a lot - if that's an issue)

sclobernocker47

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup. I've always thought NF does that flavor best. (all have diketones - IMO a lot - if that's an issue)
I thought I recently saw NF BP was diketone free. I could be wrong.
Nevertheless, I love me some diketones. They make everything taste better! ;)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors