Become a Patron!

Genesis Atomizers in the year 2014 and forward -- Where do they stand?

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My understanding of the Genesis style atomizer's history is that they were fairly prominent in the early days of enthusiast vaping, but were largely phased out with the introduction of Kayfun style RDTAs. They remain a curiosity to me though, as recently I've heard a few people really gush about their love for their 'gennys' and claim that a properly wicked stainless steel mesh build is untouchable in terms of flavor. Nikki wrote an excellent review for the new (?) SAT 22 clone which only threw my curiosity into overdrive. Genesis building seems like a dead art these days, with a small crowd of loyalists who sing its virtues whenever they can, so I'm just curious if they're still worth fussing with, and if meaningful advancements are still being made to the base design to improve on some of the noted pitfalls (leaking is the big one?). Any info I could find on these atomizers today was sparse, decentralized, and not comprehensive enough for me to get a good idea of why the Genesis functions the way it does, and what it brings to the table over other tank designs.

So I guess the questions I have are as follows:
  • What are the 'old faithfuls' of the Genesis scene?
  • Have any newer clone or authentic atomizers made meaningful strides building off these older designs that attempt to rectify any significant faults with the Genesis design?
  • In terms of just flavor, what Genesis atomizer is known for producing the cleanest flavor? (Subjective, I know...)
  • Does a properly wicked Genesis atomizer surpass newer RDTAs like the Orchid, and the Billow purely in terms of flavor?
I keep stressing the flavor thing because I don't care at all about cloud production, I want the cleanest hit of my juice possible. I hope there are at least a few people on here familiar enough with the Genesis legacy to give me any info at all. Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i am a former genesis user. although i do bust one out here and there for certain juices. the flavor is simply untouchable for certain juices. it is night and day, not even a slight comparison in terms of flavor- for *certain* juices. these juices include rich, complex flavors. typically layered flavor profiles that include a savory component. your custards, your bakery flavors, even some tobaccos embody a sweet-and-savory vibe in my experience. cinnamon roll, apple pie, various peanut butter incarnations. if youre a Nite Lite Vapor fan, i would dive in head-first for a genny full of Bounty Hunter, Gold, or Tappules (and I do dive in. Boy do i dive in).

the flavor from mesh is pure and unadulterated. not only that, but it brings to life the subtle nuances that were intended to be tasted, yet fall flat on other wicking mediums.

however, i will add that the more basic flavors, like simple fruits and drink flavors for example, tend to be brought fully to life on something as easy as cotton. mesh accomplishes little more for these flavors as simple cotton is typically all it takes to bring these types of flavors out. going through the hassle of setting up a genny (especially for a new-to-genny user) for a basic flavor is a bit of a waste in my opinion. so i would use that as a big deciding factor.

another deciding factor is your style of vaping. if youre used to monster lung hits and are not open to a slower, mouth-to-lung style of hitting, gennys might not be for you. to get the ultimate full-saturation of vapor, a small air hole and slower draw style is preferred. sure you can drill out your genny and sure you can wrap your wick in such a way that prevents pre-mature drying from big lung hits. but to me those are tweaks that take away from the full genny experience. what youre left with is pseudo-genny/pseudo-rda "grey area" style vape. and again, for me- its not worth it.

what works best for me is a densely rolled #400 or #500 mesh wick, thinnish wire (30g give or take a gauge) or ribbon kanthal (0.8mm approx) metering around 1Ω. any lower and you begin to lose the flavor you worked so hard to obtain. same goes for the air hole size.

regarding your bulleted questions, my personal opinions are that almost any genny can be faithful. i was partial to my DID clone but it was one of if not the first genny clone so it had some workmanship issues, mainly the center pole and insulators. yet the flavor from that small top cap was remarkable. the iAtty also worked well for me, but again kind of a shitty clone with respect to the plated deck. the BLiSS was nice, but the air holes were too big. the Pulse G was pretty awesome. it had a chamber reducer or a dual coil option. the AGT is an awesome little genny but has a constricted deck that was a catch 22- small deck means small top cap but small top cap often means mega flavor. i expect the Sat22 to have solved this conundrum. another regarded genny would be the Karcken, but i personally have no experience with one. i will say this (and im sure youve heard it before) *any* proper genny can be the best. the build will dictate your performance much more than the genny itself. this is assuming of course that the genny doesnt have any design/manufacturing flaws.

regarding leaking, a properly set up genny will not leak. even with the fill screw removed (which is recommended). the wick needs to be dense enough to not allow liquid to flow through it like a straw, yet not too dense to where the liquid cannot penetrate it effectively. the latter is not easy to do by mistake. you have to really try to roll a wick thats too dense. my AGT for example has the fill screw removed and i can hold it upside down for any length of time and zero drops of liquid will leak out.

lastly, a big Yes- properly wicked gennys greatly surpass the Orchid (i dont have a Billow), Kayfun, Aqua, etc in terms of flavor- for the right juice. some juices simply will not taste better no matter what you do because they are simple juices without much depth.

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Shit. That's a comprehensive response if I've ever seen one. Thank you very much for your perspective. Excuse me while I try to internalize all of this.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shit. That's a comprehensive response if I've ever seen one. Thank you very much for your perspective. Excuse me while I try to internalize all of this.

youre most welcome. gennys are certainly nuanced, that's for sure. lots of little aspects to pay attention to. but it can all be worth it. I say go for it if you've got the time and patience for it. at first it might be a pain in the balls, but in the end can be totally worth it. im at a point where I can build a genny effortlessly and believe it or not, it can be a fun rainy Saturday activity.

and when all the work is done, take solace in the fact that a genny requires all the work to be done "up front". sure you gotta put your time in- as you can gather its not as quick and simple as most RDAs; but the maintenance is almost non-existent. re-building and re-wicking RDAs is done in a snap, but must be constantly done. sure re-wicking a RDA takes like a minute, but add up all those minutes over the course of a few months and you've put some serious time in. with a genny, youre dry-firing every few tank's worth and that's it. a nicely setup genny easily lasts months of above-average usage. ive gotten years out of intermittent usage.

its like renting versus buying lol.

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I generally skew really small on my atomizer AFCs when I have the option, and I have a large amount of boutique juices from the Drip Club coming in any day now, so I imagine those would be great to vape in a Genesis. I'm really into the idea of the Sat22, Infinite has a clone of it so at the very least it will be built well. It has a small chamber and two .8mm AF holes, looks to be a breeding ground for great flavor. I'll just have to spend a lot of quality time getting the build down.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, he said pretty much everything already...lol.

I'll never give up my gennies. There's just something different about the vape and even the crafting of a build than anything else IMO. A good genny build also last a very long time...months even years. My H-Atty has had the same Contact coil/SS wick build now since 2013.

My H-atty I won awhile back and a modded Pulse-G are loaded now. Still have more sitting as well with my Chobra and AGA-T2+.

Very versatile too, in their own way. And in general, big tanks are normal.

Here's a build I did recently on my old Mini-DID clone using cellocotton and homemade twisted 33 AWG Kanthal. 2.2 Ohms. Runs nicely on my Buzz Pro. :)

P1030061.JPG

I vape mostly tobaccos in them...still love it.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'll never give up my gennies. There's just something different about the vape and even the crafting of a build than anything else IMO. A good genny build also last a very long time...months even years. My H-Atty has had the same Contact coil/SS wick build now since 2013.

My H-atty I won awhile back and a modded Pulse-G are loaded now. Still have more sitting as well with my Chobra and AGA-T2+.

Here's a build I did recently on my old Mini-DID clone using cellocotton and homemade twisted 33 AWG Kanthal. 2.2 Ohms. Runs nicely on my Buzz Pro. :)

View attachment 9763

I appreciate this shot @CaFF. Please, anybody, more build pics with cotton or rayon wicks.

There is so much I like about my Sat22s. The flavor is better than any single-coil RTA I have ever tried, quite like a small dripper like my Novice. The draw can be opened up to whatever I want, which is pretty open. And I love the small form factor holding a legit 3 ml.

I really want to replace my KFL Nanos with Sat22 for my stealth rigs. I just have not yet mastered wicking with j-cotton well enough to keep it consistently juiced. Too many dry hits and re-saturation too slow. Gonna keep trying though, because when it's good it's really really good. :D

pb011885-edit-jpg.8315

And with respect to @Kemosabe, I really don't care if it's a pseudo-genny-RDA vape style I'm trying to tease out of this thing. That's the vape most satisfying to me and I can see the Sat22 is almost there.

Last edited:
I'm very much a noob in the vape world, but I pick up quick. In less than two months I've made some serious upgrades and I've discovered that I love RTAs. I've mastered the Orchid and Fogger builds and I use them constantly. I keep seeing stuff about these other types of tanks and I'm anxious to try one out. I really like the look of the Kraken RTA, and it is available in brass. I'm thinking about throwing together a little combo with a brass mech to put it on. What are your guys' opinions on the Kraken? Would this be a solid intro into the world of genesis attys? I am most certainly a flavor chaser and I'm not scared to tinker with something outside my normal dual coil build.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I appreciate this shot @CaFF. Please, anybody, more build pics with cotton or rayon wicks.

There is so much I like about my Sat22s. The flavor is better than any single-coil RTA I have ever tried, quite like a small dripper like my Novice. The draw can be opened up to whatever I want, which is pretty open. And I love the small form factor holding a legit 3 ml.

I really want to replace my KFL Nanos with Sat22 for my stealth rigs. I just have not yet mastered wicking with j-cotton well enough to keep it consistently juiced. Too many dry hits and re-saturation too slow. Gonna keep trying though, because when it's good it's really really good. :D

pb011885-edit-jpg.8315

And with respect to @Kemosabe, I really don't care if it's a pseudo-genny-RDA vape style I'm trying to tease out of this thing. That's the vape most satisfying to me and I can see the Sat22 is almost there.

everyone has different preferences. i would never fault you for setting up your gennys in the way that is most pleasing to you. i will however state my opinion on the matter just as a reference point, in case anyone is interested in doing it the way i do it. i personally prefer mesh wicks or steel cable wick (with mesh under the coil) for gennys. i use cotton (or cellucotton sometimes) in my other types of attys.

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm very much a noob in the vape world, but I pick up quick. In less than two months I've made some serious upgrades and I've discovered that I love RTAs. I've mastered the Orchid and Fogger builds and I use them constantly. I keep seeing stuff about these other types of tanks and I'm anxious to try one out. I really like the look of the Kraken RTA, and it is available in brass. I'm thinking about throwing together a little combo with a brass mech to put it on. What are your guys' opinions on the Kraken? Would this be a solid intro into the world of genesis attys? I am most certainly a flavor chaser and I'm not scared to tinker with something outside my normal dual coil build.
From researching gennys lately, Krakens are still very popular today and I'm sure there's a reason for that. Give your genesis coil building a lot of time and practice and I'm sure you wouldn't regret picking one up.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

you sound like your up for the challenge. go ahead and scoop a kracken clone imo. not much money to lose, only time. and that time can pay off in a major way. plus you really wouldnt lose money either because if you end up giving up on mesh (but dont, its worth it IMO!) you can always wick it with cotton, ceramic, cellucotton, silica, hemp, etc.
watch some genny youtubes. dont worry if you can find one for the kracken (but you most likely will), most all gennys follow the same principles. i personally used a lavagen video tutorial to teach myself. the guy just happended to be the most thorough and well-spoken.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think there will always be at least a small crowd that sticks with them. I never had much luck with them and they were more a PITA than worth for me. I had 1 made from a old vivi tank, 2 agi, rsst and a Prometheus. Never cared for them much. When they work they are good, but dry hits on mesh is about the worst thing ever. Plus vaping with the Geni gangsta lean is annoying. Just my opinion.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think there will always be at least a small crowd that sticks with them. I never had much luck with them and they were more a PITA than worth for me. I had 1 made from a old vivi tank, 2 agi, rsst and a Prometheus. Never cared for them much. When they work they are good, but dry hits on mesh is about the worst thing ever. Plus vaping with the Geni gangsta lean is annoying. Just my opinion.

steel cable wicks quite well. much less of a need for the gangsta lean, which i agree is annoying. ive got cable in one of my gennys and i dont tilt it any more than i would tilt normally to vape.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Right now I have a Kraken in my Cart at FT..At the moment I haven't built one RDA/RTA but I have a few on the way from FT...I'm really interested in the Genesis style atomizer's and thought I'll buy at lest one...I know I'm good at rolling so I'll know I'll have no problem there and with the "hot spots"... I hear about I watched this last night that shows you how not to get them

I also watch this that also helps + it helps with wicking (Wrapping cotton around wire mesh)

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

View attachment 9763

2.2 ohm?...Very nice!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Gennies will always be a niche atomiser. I have two Sat22's and a OZ22 and whilst I tend to drip and use my Orchids more.....When I'm in the mood to use one of my tube mechs, they will always have a gennie atop. I have some build pics on the forum...and a thread just for gennie fans. I wick with Japanese Cotton and always at .7ohms/24g micro

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
steel cable wicks quite well. much less of a need for the gangsta lean, which i agree is annoying. ive got cable in one of my gennys and i dont tilt it any more than i would tilt normally to vape.
The "Lean" was only necessary with open coils. With micros it does not matter how long the positive leg is as long as the coils are touching solidly.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The "Lean" was only necessary with open coils. With micros it does not matter how long the positive leg is as long as the coils are touching solidly.

ah yes the dreaded hot pos leg. however, i believe the lean he was referring to was the PV lean. in other words, tilting the mod with the drip tip going horizontal or even downwards in an effort to aid wicking and have juice run down the wick to the coil.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
ah yes the dreaded hot pos leg. however, i believe the lean he was referring to was the PV lean. in other words, tilting the mod with the drip tip going horizontal or even downwards in an effort to aid wicking and have juice run down the wick to the coil.
The gennie "tilt". I've been running my Pulse G with dual ss cables sheathed on the top portion with Readyxwick with .8 28 Gauge micro coils (.8 total).

That ss cable really, really wicks great and the readyxwick stay moist for a perfect vape, no flooding.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recently got the Genesis bug, and now they are the only devices I am using. I tried various mesh sizes and but settled on SS 400 mesh wrapped about 3-4 times with .30g Kanthal wire, which gives me about 1.1ohm, perfect for my smaller 18350 & 18500 mods.

20j304j.jpg

My first genesis tank was a Kraken clone that I tried about a year ago but didn't like it. Looking back though, I think my error was trying to replicate the vape style to an RDA, and eventually, I settled on building it as an auto-dripper which I found more finicky that it was worth.

As for the genie tilt, for the Sat22, I noticed that just the normal movement of bringing the mod up to vape is enough to get the mesh nicely wicked. With the Nahualon though, you can vape that thing vertically and not get a dry hit until your tank is empty ;)

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Forgot to ask @Kemosabe but you mentioned you are a former genesis user. What is your main rotation now? I ask because its been about a month for me exclusively vaping with gennies, and I cant seem to be able to enjoy my RDA's and Kayfuns anymore. thnx!

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 9763

I knew there was something wrong with you! LOL I got out of the "Tilt Club" a long while back, but I can't argue your logic here.

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I still rock krakens. Love the flavor I get with them

Screenshot (58).png

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can say with certainty that if you drill the airflow out too wide, you will have to do the tilting since you no longer have the vacuum effect to pull juice up through the center of the mesh.

I have a Pulse G that had the airflow bored out too wide, and wouldn't wick well. When I purchased some AvidVaper airflow control tips, the restricted draw changed things like night and day.

nl4ili.jpg

If I vape the Pulse G as it is without the tip, flavor lacks quite a bit and the wick will dry out quickly if I don't keep tilting the device & pulsing the coil.

With the Avid AC tip, I found that I have to keep the fill hole closed off otherwise the coil over-wicks.
rh5uh5.jpg

Never need to tilt now, or be mindful of which direction my wick is facing.

The Nahualon is another genny that you have to keep the fill hole closed off as well. The vacuum effect is so efficient that you can vape it vertically without ever getting a dry hit.

2m7t2mc.jpg

Last edited:
T

Taver13

so i was reading this thread, and it got me thinking about pulling out the ole prometheus specifically for vaping my homeade NET's. so i whipped up a 2ohm coil on a 5/64, wicked it with some 400 SS mesh, with some wisps of rayon around the coil area. runnin her at around 13 watts. smallest airhole ope, and the flavor im getting from the NET has notes i never tasted before, and i noticed that my coils dont get shitted up from the NETs as quickly as my drippers or tanks. thanks for the inspiration guys!
2015-02-22 11.58.45.jpg

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Decided to give the BF-99 a try and ordered a clone. I expect to mess with it, because I know I'll find the stock draw too tight. My reasoning is that with both wick ends supplying the juice I have a decent chance of upping the airflow without killing the flavor, etc.

Anybody have any experience with it?

Email_Blast_BF99_0001.jpg blog-noname-mods-bf99-cotton-build-deck.jpg blog-noname-mods-bf99-fill-hole-1.jpg

Different version with more air.

154351_656690101066033_8306259844287231673_n.jpg

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I forgot where I saw it, maybe was on ECF, but recall someone saying the air holes can't be opened up due to how close it is to the edge, and looking at the cap in the 2nd pic, looks to be that way. I believe the ceramic deck is only a coating over zinc and/or aluminum, so not sure if you want to drill there, but I could be wrong on that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I forgot where I saw it, maybe was on ECF, but recall someone saying the air holes can't be opened up due to how close it is to the edge, and looking at the cap in the 2nd pic, looks to be that way. I believe the ceramic deck is only a coating over zinc and/or aluminum, so not sure if you want to drill there, but I could be wrong on that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments. I do see the limitations and possibilities of increasing airflow. If it's still too tight opening the existing supply under the coil, plan B is to open a second one dripper-style through the chamber.

That ceramic coating is basically a gimmick and I'll likely remove it or some of it from the deck. :rolleyes: If it's aluminum underneath I will not be unhappy. Just hoping it's not a material that might impart a taste. o_O

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Forgot to ask @Kemosabe but you mentioned you are a former genesis user. What is your main rotation now? I ask because its been about a month for me exclusively vaping with gennies, and I cant seem to be able to enjoy my RDA's and Kayfuns anymore. thnx!

im mainly an RDA guy now. im dripping 90% of the time. i prefer to go with deep well, leakproof or semi-leakproof drippers (veritas, origen, 3D, magma, and venturi) i do enjoy some tanks (Orchid is my favorite tank but i do use my Aqua still and occasionally my Kayfun), and the Big Dripper which is my favorite of all time, generally speaking.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
<SOLD> FS: Sat22 Genesis Style Atomizer, New

I have an extra one of these. It's new and complete with three tank sections. Top picture shows actual unit; bottom shows the exact model.

$14.50 shipped first class. PM me if you are interested.

imag0289-jpg.15614

screenshot-2015-02-26-at-1-40-52-pm-png.15615

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1869600

Last edited:

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
im mainly an RDA guy now. im dripping 90% of the time. i prefer to go with deep well, leakproof or semi-leakproof drippers (veritas, origen, 3D, magma, and venturi) i do enjoy some tanks (Orchid is my favorite tank but i do use my Aqua still and occasionally my Kayfun), and the Big Dripper which is my favorite of all time, generally speaking.

I started with cartos, then moved onto clearos, but once I got my first RDA, never looked back on any pre-made atomizers. From there, started to mix it up with a variety of RTA's and other RDA's. Always stayed clear of Genesis tanks though, was too intimidated by my perception of it being way too complicated, so never went beyond that.

Its interesting how peoples vape habits can change on a dime though, one day you are a die hard dripper, the next thing you know, you are a dedicated genny-head, or vice versa ;)

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have had 2 AGI, a premethius and a rest. When they work they're good. The flavor with SS is great. They have been To much of a PITA for me. You cant leave the house with them which makes it somewhat impractical. I dripped back in the day a lot with a bridgeless 306. Once I got my A7 about 2 1/2 years ago I started dripping all the time. Still do. I have genesis tanks don't use them. Got a subtank it is meh. I rock the hell out of my LB and V2 tugboat though. A genn tank that didn't leak and doesn't go wonky if tou bump it would be the best invention ever because the flavor is one of the bed vapes you'll get.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, good point, I never considered the carry around aspect of a Genesis tank since I pretty much only vape at home. I guess if I had to carry a vape around with me, it would still be a Kayfun w/ some sort of 18350 battery mechanical mod.

These are the two setups I've been using the most recently:
im5hg7.jpg

Copper Anatolian LE HIT IT w/ Pulse G

a3kvoz.jpg

Hiduron Copper/Nickel MCR101 w/ Satburn 22

Despite its small size, I couldn't take these around with me since neither has a locking feature and I wouldn't want to keep it upside down in my pocket. In a strange way though, I'm glad its not pocket friendly, keeps me from having access to a vape during the day ;)

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

That is really good to know. I have a Blackwood coming in the mail from china eventually. It comes with steal cable already installed and ready for a pinoy style build. Is that how you built that one? With cotton wick over the cable? Any tips would be great. Do i need to prep the steal cable in any way? This will be my first foray with a genesis style tank.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
^^nice looking setups!
---
my AGT genny was pocket friendly. I think its small tank capacity aided in this. it only holds about 1ml so the pressure from that small amount of liquid probably wasn't enough to cause overwicking and thus leaking. I could hold the thing upside down without a single drop misplaced.
my pulse g clone wasn't a big leaker either. you would get a couple of drops off the wick if it was horizontal for a long period, but that was about it.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is really good to know. I have a Blackwood coming in the mail from china eventually. It comes with steal cable already installed and ready for a pinoy style build. Is that how you built that one? With cotton wick over the cable? Any tips would be great. Do i need to prep the steal cable in any way? This will be my first foray with a genesis style tank.

you don't have to put cotton around the top of your wick. I personally prefer gennys without cotton. im not too familiar with the blackwood but from what ive seen, you can set it up exactly like any other genny. the cotton might help until you get a good hang of using mesh/cable wicks tho. you also might want to go single coil at first because a dual coil genny with try your patience like a motherfucker.

for prepping the cable, you don't need to prep it other than washing it. might want to torch it too for good clean measure. but definitely wash it well.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've laid my Nahualon genesis on its side without any leaking, but never held any upside down for an extended period of time to really know for sure. I guess if I had to pick the most leak resistant one, it would be the Lon, but then I have to still worry about it firing in my pocket ;)

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
you don't have to put cotton around the top of your wick. I personally prefer gennys without cotton. im not too familiar with the blackwood but from what ive seen, you can set it up exactly like any other genny. the cotton might help until you get a good hang of using mesh/cable wicks tho. you also might want to go single coil at first because a dual coil genny with try your patience like a motherfucker.

for prepping the cable, you don't need to prep it other than washing it. might want to torch it too for good clean measure. but definitely wash it well.

How do you set up yours with the steal cable? Do you just roll up some mesh and have that touching the cable? Or do you actually wrap the mesh around the cable. I like the idea of using mesh and not having to rewick as often. That would be awesome. And with that atty i could even have the AFC wide open and cloud chase with it, lol. But from what Kken was saying, it may not wick well that way. I guess i will find out.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never used SS cable before, so no idea how the wicking behaves on that one. Actually, I'm curious to know how juice travels upward through a somewhat solid center, thanks!

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've never used SS cable before, so no idea how the wicking behaves on that one. Actually, I'm curious to know how juice travels upward through a somewhat solid center, thanks!

All i know is it's through some type of friction. I forgot exactly what it was called. I never heard of it either till i saw that atty. And i was like wow, i gotta try that out in my endless search for the ultimate atty, lol. If it leaks in a pocket then the search continues, lol. Everything else is perfect with a gennie type atty though. Easy refill, access to the coil without having to drain the juice, and many airflow and build options.

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have this one but mine is from Hcigar and came with a screw on 510 adapter. It supports quad coils if you want and the flavor is awesome and blows big clouds aswell.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How do you set up yours with the steal cable? Do you just roll up some mesh and have that touching the cable? Or do you actually wrap the mesh around the cable. I like the idea of using mesh and not having to rewick as often. That would be awesome. And with that atty i could even have the AFC wide open and cloud chase with it, lol. But from what Kken was saying, it may not wick well that way. I guess i will find out.

after the cable is cut to length and cleaned, wrap a couple of revolutions of mesh around the top of the wick, just under where the coil goes. the cable wicks quite well and the mesh helps to provide even coil-to-wick contact. what happens is the liquid flows both in the wick and on it. it flows through the visible grooves on the outside, but also through the gaps in between the individual wires that make up the braided cable. ss cable is typically seven groups of wire strands, each with seven wire strands a piece. but there are other configurations as well. the one im referring to is referred to as 7x7. heres an image to help illustrate.

7x7Main.jpg

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So its been well over 2 months of vaping on the Sat22, and I haven't changed my build yet. The coil and mesh are still looking very good and there is no resistance change or any gunk build-up. Wondering how long you genny heads out there go before you overhaul your build out of necessity.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So its been well over 2 months of vaping on the Sat22, and I haven't changed my build yet. The coil and mesh are still looking very good and there is no resistance change or any gunk build-up. Wondering how long you genny heads out there go before you overhaul your build out of necessity.

essentially forever. when you do eventually get some coil gunk, just run your tank dry or simply hold the device so your wick isn't dipping into the juice. then perform a dry burn starting off with short pulses until the coil starts to cook off some gunk. then you can do longer pulses to finish up the job. this method will keep you going for a long time to come. eventually you may want to pull the wick and wash/torch it but im talking several months down the road. ive used particular gennys intermittently for years without them needing to be rebuilt, only dry burned. of course your juice and vaping style will play a role so your mileage may vary.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
essentially forever... now that's good to know! Yeah, I dry burn between different juices and noticed its as good as new again; so worth the time setting the build up in the beginning knowing you hardly have to do anything, ever, from thereon ;)

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
21bsjg2.jpg

I used to own a Tobeco Kraken a little over a year ago, didn’t know how to build a Genny so I ran it as an auto-dripper using cotton and microcoil. It was ok, sort of a blend of an RDA and RTA, but fell little short on the consistency of an RDA and also fell short of convenience compared to a Kayfun.

So basically it was more work to run it than it was worth IMO.

I’m really happy to have re-visited this genesis atty though. I was a bit apprehensive at first since it’s an “older” design and the Tobeco clone I had before was not at all impressive in build quality and tolerance. Fortunately, the authentic is 304 grade SS, not chrome plated, and the tolerances of the glass tank, airflow adjustment, post screws and out sleeve is just perfect. Everything fits snug but can be adjusted or moved around with ease.

Only complaint is the 510 connection; the pin is recessed, so it’s a no go with hybrid top caps or adaptors unless the adaptor has its own center pin connection. You may be able to adjust the Kraken center pin with a small o-ring, but out of the box, don’t try to use it with any hybrid top caps.

Other than that, its a beautifully designed genny that's been around since early 2013 I believe, works like a charm.

Not as intense "in your face" type of flavor as some of the European gennies produce like the Sat22 or Rocket, but I still think the Kraken is very high up on the list of top flavor gennies. Definitely better for me in terms of flavor if I compare it to a Kayfun, and I still think the Kayfun is the best traditional build RTA out there ;)

2zgyxcm.jpg

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
after the cable is cut to length and cleaned, wrap a couple of revolutions of mesh around the top of the wick, just under where the coil goes. the cable wicks quite well and the mesh helps to provide even coil-to-wick contact. what happens is the liquid flows both in the wick and on it. it flows through the visible grooves on the outside, but also through the gaps in between the individual wires that make up the braided cable. ss cable is typically seven groups of wire strands, each with seven wire strands a piece. but there are other configurations as well. the one im referring to is referred to as 7x7. heres an image to help illustrate.

7x7Main.jpg

OK, so I gave the SS cable a go, and yeah, it’s a definite improvement over rolled mesh. It wicks considerably faster, so I found that I had to lower the resistance and/or use thinner gauge wire to get the coil to ignite proportionate to the speed it wicks.

2v9yyhf.jpg

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's nice to see some interest in Genisis attys these days. My first RBA was a AGA-T2 which I ran as my main vape for most of 2013. If I remember correctly, it took me about six weeks before I had a build method that was dependable. The only thing that kept me going was I had a dependable vape to fall back on while I was experimenting and learning.

So here's a bit of Genny trivia I picked up back then for anyone who is interested. The Genisis atty was mainly developed by a German modder I got to know on ECF by the handle 'raidy'. He started a thread there called 'All My Mods Part1' in 2010 which I found in 2013. It was quite the thread by then and I know I spent a couple of evenings reading it. In post #2571 he explained how he had named the atty:

"Genisis = Genial Simpler Siebdampfer = ingeniously simple mash steamer

In Germany we say steamer to atty"

Which is why I still spell it Genisis rather than Genesis. If anyone is interested in seeing some really neat mods, check out some of his in that thread. They are almost all Gennys and there are a lot of them ;). I think on ECF he was just skimming the surface of what he was doing. I know his main haunt was a German forum with a group of modders there.

I think I'm going to pull out my AGA-T later today and fire it up. If I have a build in it and I think I do, it's around 0.6 ohms using 27 gauge Kanthal and 400 mesh. It's been a while and I'm used to more power than that now so it will be interesting to see if I still appreciate the vape that makes on a mech mod.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors