Become a Patron!

George R.R. Martin Has Seen a Rough Cut of House of the Dragon's First Episode and Loved It

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
George R.R. Martin has revealed that not only has he seen a rough cut of the first episode of HBO's upcoming Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon, but that he has loved what he's seen so far.

Martin shared the news on his Not A Blog website in an entry titled "Most Anticipated," and revealed that he was "chuffed to read that the most anticipated new show, according to IMDB, was... (drum roll, please)... HOUSE OF THE DRAGON!"

He continued to say that, in a year that will also see "Amazon's new Tolkein series," "Neil Gaiman's Sandman," "Marvel shows," and "Star Wars shows," he's very proud to see House of the Dragon recognized as "that's one hell of a list to be at the top of."

Sure, Martin wrote the A Song of Fire and Ice novels that were then adapted into the Emmy Award-winning HBO series Game of Thrones so he is "hardly objective," but he admits that he's eagerly anticipating this series like many of us are. Furthermore, he teased that he's already seen a bit of it in action and has loved what he's seen.

"I am anticipating HOUSE OF THE DRAGON pretty eagerly myself, for what it’s worth," Martin wrote. "Okay, I am hardly objective. And I know a lot of what you will be seeing. (I, um, wrote the book). Also … mum’s the word now, don’t tell anyone… I’ve seen a rough cut of the first episode. And loved it. It’s dark, it’s powerful, it’s visceral… just the way I like my epic fantasy."

He concluded by saying the team behind House of the Dragon - which is based on Martin's own novel Fire & Blood - is doing "an amazing job" and that fans have a lot to look forward to.

"Ryan and Miguel have done an amazing job, and the cast… just as with GAME OF THRONES, most viewers will only have heard of a few of the actors, but I think you are going to fall in love with a lot of them," Martin wrote. "(Only to have your heart broken later when… but no, that would be telling). I think the Targaryens are in very good hands. Anticipate away. I do not think you will be disappointed."

House of the Dragon will premiere on HBO in 2022 and is set 200 years before Game of Thrones. It looks to tell the story of the House Targaryen - the line of kings that ruled Westeros before Robert Baratheon took the throne and kicked off the events of the original series.

House of the Dragon is only one of several Game of Thrones series in the works - including multiple live action series and an animated spin-off - and it is part of a larger deal between Martin and HBO.

For more, be sure to check out our explainer on House of the Dragon and learn a bit more about what we can expect from the ancestors of Daenerys Targaryen.

Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected].

Adam Bankhurst is a news writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter
@AdamBankhurst and on Twitch.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors