Become a Patron!

George R.R. Martin Knows Winds of Winter Is Late, But Says Fans Can Be 'Vicious'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin has admitted The Winds of Winter is late but wishes some fans weren't quite so mean about it.

As reported by GameSpot, Martin commented on Idris and Sabrina Elba's Coupledom Podcast to say that the internet has created a much more "vicious" fanbase than he saw previously.

"I get that Winds of Winter, the sixth book is late," he said. "I could get a hundred good comments but there are still a few fans who are going to remind me on my blog; I say 'Happy Thanksgiving' and they say 'never mind Happy Thanksgiving, where's the book'?"

Martin added: "I love the fans, although I do think Twitter and the internet and social media has brought out a viciousness I never saw in the old days. Love and hate are very close, particularly with something like comic books or any established franchises."

The Winds of Winter is the sixth book in Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy epic but, especially perhaps due to the popularity of the Game of Throne TV adaptation, fans have grown impatient for it's long-promised release.

Martin has given several release windows for the book, the first being in early 2014, but has missed them repeatedly.

While finishing The Winds of Winter has always been his priority, Martin has also spent time creating the background history and lore of hit FromSoftware game Elden Ring and has more recently been working on the Game of Thrones spin-off show House of the Dragon.

The show will be a prequel to Game of Thrones, focusing on the origins of the Targaryen family long before the novel and TV series take place, and is due to release this August.

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelancer who occasionally remembers to tweet @thelastdinsdale. He'll talk about The Witcher all day.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors