George R.R. Martin Reportedly 'Begged' HBO To Do 10 Seasons Of Game Of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
More than two years after its original release, Game of Thrones' ending remains controversial with fans. In particular, many believe that Game Of Thrones ended too soon, curtailing certain major arc and making the ending seem abrupt. Author George R.R. Martin agrees.

As first reported by Insider, Tinderbox: HBO's Ruthless Pursuit of New Frontiers, a new book by journalist James Andrew Miller, details how Martin flew to New York to "beg" HBO to do 10 seasons.

"George would fly to New York to have lunch with [former HBO CEO Richard Plepler], to beg him to do 10 seasons of 10 episodes because there was enough material for it and to tell him it would be a more satisfying and more entertaining experience," Martin's agent Paul Haas says in the book.

According to Haas, Martin also reportedly worried that HBO wasn't "following his template" in terms of plotting out the story. "George loves [Game of Thrones showrunners Daniel Weiss and David Benioff], but after season five, he did start to worry about the path they were going because George knows where the story goes. He started saying, 'You're not following my template.'"

Game of Thrones' final season includes multiple shocking turns, particularly for Daenerys Targaryen. Many fans likewise expressed disappointment with how other major plots were resolved, including the ultimate winner of the Iron Throne and the battle with the Night King.

"[A]fter last week's undercooked (no pun intended) Daenerys twist, the finale couldn't entirely stick the landing, struggling to resolve many of the show's lingering plot threads in a satisfying and coherent conclusion (and ignoring others completely), and once again falling victim to the season's needlessly truncated episode order," reviewer Laura Prudom wrote for IGN back when the episode first aired.

Fast-forward to 2021, and HBO is still defending the finale.

"If there had been another episode or two, of course, that would have been helpful," HBO Chief Content Officer Casey Bloys said in Tinderbox. "I would have taken two more seasons! But I do believe if you look at the totality of her arc over the series, as opposed to the final episodes, her turn was more than earned, and was planned."

Martin is likewise sanguine about the ending.

"I wish it had run for ten years," Martin said. "I think that would've given us a little more time in the later seasons to end it. But that might be just because I'm still trying to end it in these books here."

For now, Martin continues to work on Winds of Winter, which does not yet have a publish date. Tinderbox: HBO's Ruthless Pursuit of New Frontiers is available now.

Kat Bailey is a Senior News Editor at IGN

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors