Become a Patron!

Getting back in the saddle..

After taking stock of my shelved vape gear after a lapse of will power, i have 9x RTA's.. Most were shoved in the back of a drawer as is with juice, so many were in an awful state, not quite as bad as the larger subtanks in which juice had ?evaporated? leaving black gunk stuck to glass and steel. So it could have been worse.

Anyway a huge cleaning session later i have 9 x rta's to relearn how to build, One benefit of getting stashed full was the existing build was available for study giving me a lot of hints and clues .

7x seem to have gone well passing a n initial leak test and they all vape well with varying results, the lemo? lemmo? 2s are both a bit warm with the hint of cotton in the taste, but im using 'raw' unbleached muji pads for cotton and the hint of cotton taste does not increase with longer rapid vapes.

I got away with using the existing coil builds in most just needing to re-wick, but in attempting to re-wick #8 a RDTA, which wants wicks to drape down into the lower tank through 3mm? holes in the deck i mangled the soft nickel coils fited in attempts to thread too much cotton through, and walked away before launching it out the window..
I can return with a calm head to this one..

#9 however is my headache, 2nd build now and its leaking again.. its a minimalistic small UD RTA, with what i recall as a Goblin style deck and 2 part funnel chimney.

Both times i have taken care to cut long enough wicks to fill the juice channels, first with about 50% of the initial wicks body cut off to form a tapered point, 2nd time without trimming the wick end at all cutting square to the deck aiming for upto 1mm length protruding once fitted. both times the tank seemed ok after about 30 mins or so and vaped well without any gurgles indicating the juice flow was ok??

The venting a simple opening directly below the coils in the deck was left open and overnight it drops half its contents
;(

P1010914.JPG
(Leaky tank outside the box on the towel to absorb the spill)

the above pic was taken after build #1 dropped its load for other reasons and isnt very illustrative.. I will take pics as i go with build #3 (coming soon), for a clearer view of the predicament and to highlight any glaring errors im making.

This tank required coils fitting and i used a matched pair of circa 0.6 ohm Kanthal coils giving a target of circa 0.3 ohm final resistance (0.34 iirc)

But other than stuffing the juice channels with cotton and ensuring the chimney is threaded on correctly and fully, what more can i do??

Im using a 50/50 pg/vg 6% nic juice same juice as used in testing all tanks pictured above, and am vaping now...

Thanks for reading and any comments that can help..

Some clearer pics of the tank and current leaky build.. please bear in mind removing the chimney tube pulled the wick up and out of some of the channels they were sat inside..

P1010916.JPGP1010917.JPGP1010918.JPGP1010919.JPG

Damn autofocus not centring on the target hmmmm well thats my excuse..
Hope the pics are clear enough..

What might not be so clear in my poor pics is the divits in the build deck under the juice channels..

this time round i have ensured these are stuffed with cotton..

Attachments

• P1010931.JPG
    P1010931.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 2
  • P1010933.JPG
    P1010933.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 2

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Have you checked all the o rings / seals to make sure they are intact and present? My old eyes are not seeing an o ring in the top cap, but that could just be angles.

Have you checked all the o rings / seals to make sure they are intact and present? My old eyes are not seeing an o ring in the top cap, but that could just be angles.
Yes o-rings/seals are intact.. I Think/hope the problem 'was' not spotting the depth of the holes below the juice channels in the deck base, this time round i have stuffed juice wetted cotton in to each hole too... and so far so good... it survived an overnight stand and is currently on a mod and im puffing on it..

fingers crossed...

moving on, I have filled all the rtas to the brim, having earlier only filled many enough just to wick and work and leak only a small amount of juice..
the 2 x lemmo2 rtas started to gurgle as soon as they were full ;( so they are in the cleaner now awaiting a rewick.. And the 'Horizon'? tank (sat on the mod) is weeping at its seams?? so probably a seal/o-ring issue rather than a build wick issue? Fingers crossed tho as everything else seems to be holding tho i will be checking every few hours or so .. P1010934.JPG

btw i cant count seems i have 10x rtas ;)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I will be glad to help you this week-end (busy right now) I like RTAs but they can be a pain in the ass to get right (and I only have limited experience... others might have more experience with different ones)
Did you save all the original boxes (with extra parts)? I always save them (in the boxes so I know which tank they go to)
Sidenote: I wrote up a tutorial on the Lemo 2 (to help someone else on the forum) I'll post it later today. It's one of the few RTAs where I use rayon... most I use cotton)
You mentioned 50/50 VG/PG... is that what you use in all of them? Might be too thin.

I will be glad to help you this week-end (busy right now) I like RTAs but they can be a pain in the ass to get right (and I only have limited experience... others might have more experience with different ones)
Did you save all the original boxes (with extra parts)? I always save them (in the boxes so I know which tank they go to)
Sidenote: I wrote up a tutorial on the Lemo 2 (to help someone else on the forum) I'll post it later today. It's one of the few RTAs where I use rayon... most I use cotton)
You mentioned 50/50 VG/PG... is that what you use in all of them? Might be too thin.
Cheers, The tutorial you authored or a link to it would be great, Thanks, But dont spend valuable time on it, This post is more a vent and journey description at the moment, I have 'been there' with most of these if not all these tanks, tho the little one that started this off might have been new as it stank of oil and needed a good clean.

Pre checking up on your tutorial my intent is to re-wick with a bit longer wicks, starting the resistance to juice earlier than perhaps the first attempt achieved.

Have i kept the boxes and spare parts, no and yes.. A lot of my attys are cheap clones but even so the stacks of vape boxes just got in the way, but all spares have been stashed its just a bit more of an elimination game Not too bad tho as Most quality brands also stamp the brand on the packaging and bags. and if it comes to it i have a roll of ptfe tape ;)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well this is embarrassing... the file named Lemo 2 is not my tutorial (it's someone else's) I seem to have lost mine. For now, I will just mention to NOT use the mounting holes... just wrap coil legs around the screws. Also, some of these (depending on the year) came with a nickel (N200) coil. I don't recommend using those.
Like I said, I'll have more time this week-end.

The coils in both the lemmo2s are Ni200 large 3mm and about 11 wraps and were pre-fitted (by me not aspire..), due to the large diameter however the wicks are easy to remove/replace even with the softer metal. They work well with the evolv temp control mods, but are also ok for short power only pulls..

Tho i will take the coil mounting advice onboard for future builds..

I have re-wicked one, and while its holding juice ok i think i may have stuffed too much cotton into the channels and it may not wick in pace with a heavy vape.. tho ive not tested that hard yet.. so far the occasional pulls to test for gurgles/leaks have passed ok, if it survives a full tank overnight... i will give it a heavy test.

Shame about the lost file, hope its just misplaced.. You probably need to look for something slightly more obscure or older in order to find it.. Thats how it can work this end..

edit.. And the little 'goblin' type tank is vaping well still no leaks either ;)
The 'sweaty' horizon tank is fine now on the stand, it seems to be limited to sweating when in use only??
this needs further investigation with it on a nice mod ;) and a paper towel at hand..

and everything else seems great too, Today ive been using both the 'goblin' tank that started this thread and a Zeus i think clone (dual coil deck) today with the same juice but different flavour results..

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just for conversation... a short story. When I first tried the Lemo 2 (with pre-installed nickel coil) I was using a dual battery mod (Vaporesso Revenger X with touchscreen settings) I set the wattage low but forgot you have to wait 15 sec for it to auto lock. Seems while holding it I touched the screen and it set to max 220 watts. Melted the coil and I inhaled the fumes from the nickel :eek:

fidola13

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just for conversation... a short story. When I first tried the Lemo 2 (with pre-installed nickel coil) I was using a dual battery mod (Vaporesso Revenger X with touchscreen settings) I set the wattage low but forgot you have to wait 15 sec for it to auto lock. Seems while holding it I touched the screen and it set to max 220 watts. Melted the coil and I inhaled the fumes from the nickel :eek:
I bet that didn’t feel or taste so good! How’s your throat?

For the leaking UD RTA (#9), besides ensuring your wicks fill the channels just right, check that they're not too tight. Fluffing the ends a bit can help with absorption. Double-check seals, ensure coils are positioned well, and if possible, adjust juice flow settings.

VU Sponsors