Google Finally Announces the Pixel Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
After weeks of rumors, speculation, and leaks, Google finally confirmed that the Pixel Watch is indeed real, and it is launching sometime this fall.

During the Google I/O 2022 keynote, the tech giant showed off the design of the upcoming wearable, which confirmed the leaks showing a circular dome design with a crown located on the side of the watch. The watch will be compatible with all Android phones that have Android 8 or newer mobile OS installed on the device, according to Google.

Google noted during the keynote that the Pixel Watch will feature an "improved" Wear OS with support for native Google Apps and software available on Wear OS, including Emergency SOS. Google confirmed that the Emergency SOS feature will arrive on Wear OS later this year.

Throughout most of 2022, there had been talks that Google was working on a Pixel smartwatch. Last month, Google filed a trademark for "Pixel Watch" with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. A few days later, Android Central reported that it had images of the rumored Pixel Watch prototype. Additionally, a Reddit user posted photos of them wearing the Pixel Watch on a wrist shortly after the Pixel Watch images leaked.

While there is no word on pricing, Google did confirm that the Pixel Watch will offer cellular and Wi-Fi options when it is available. As far as a release date goes, Google says the Pixel Watch will release alongside the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro, all of which are slated to release sometime this fall.

Alongside the first-ever Pixel Watch being announced, this year's Google I/O keynote also announced three new Pixel smartphones, the Pixel Buds Pro, and Pixel Tablet. If you missed the keynote, check out our roundup, detailing everything announced at Google I/O 2022.

Taylor is the Associate Tech Editor at IGN. You can follow her on Twitter @TayNixster.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors