Become a Patron!

Goon v1.5 resistance higher than normal/jumping

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Despite hearing whispers of warnings about unstable resistance, I went ahead and purchased the Goon v1.5 today from my local shop. I built it tonight with my go to build a framed staple alien (2x28g KA1, 8x .3R KA1, 40g N80) This build usually ohms out around .1-.12 in my previous drippers (including my OG Goon). In the v1.5 it started out at .14 when dry burning, I thought hmm ok its a little off but might fix after the coils are glowing properly. After I got em heating and cooled down I put in on my rx200s and it read .20 ohms. I was whoa that can't be right maybe its the mod so I put it on my DNA 250 and it read .18 ohms. I took the coils out and reaseated them, made sure all the screws were tight, 510 pin was tight, negative post screw tight etc.. Still at .18 ohms. I then just wicked it and thinking if it vapes, it vapes. Now its reading .16 ohms randomly but working, however something feels off. Anyone else have this rda yet and experiencing this issue? I google'd but can't find anything other than the big fiasco between 528 and the guy they told to put his goon 1.5 on a mech. Gotta work early so done messing with it tonight.

Origin Vape

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The truth is, resistance reading is an imprecise science. Any mod, even Dicodes, will have trouble getting a good reading under 0.2. When you add heat to that, it gets even harder for the sensors to work. Some mods are designed to let you lock in resistance (YIHI SX) so that when it heats up, you have a baseline at which to keep firing. There's really no perfect solution to this just yet. The insulators would be the first thing I would look at, though.

Goonkiller123

Member For 1 Year
I’m having the same issues here, usually go with ni80 around 0.12-0.13 I have two goons one got it from local vape shop and the one I’m having problems with ordered from 528 customs website, and as you did I check everything on it the screws and make sure they were tight and flat also the 510 pin and nothing seen to work still jumping from 0.14 to 0.30 then getting 0.26 for a few pulse and back to 0.13 and again 0.27 I even try only one coil and getting the same and the worst part of it is the every single time I set a new coil I’m getting a short message on my mod on the first pulse second pulse without even touching it works and no short message just want to share it to other because as you mentioned couldn’t find find much info about this problem.

vaporscout

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
plus there is a reported problem with some Kanthal wires not being true Kanthal, especially if the wire is from Kidney Puncher. use a small magnet and see if your coils are magnetic or not, Kanthal will be magnetic and all other types of coil wires will not.

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I’m having the same issues here, usually go with ni80 around 0.12-0.13 I have two goons one got it from local vape shop and the one I’m having problems with ordered from 528 customs website, and as you did I check everything on it the screws and make sure they were tight and flat also the 510 pin and nothing seen to work still jumping from 0.14 to 0.30 then getting 0.26 for a few pulse and back to 0.13 and again 0.27 I even try only one coil and getting the same and the worst part of it is the every single time I set a new coil I’m getting a short message on my mod on the first pulse second pulse without even touching it works and no short message just want to share it to other because as you mentioned couldn’t find find much info about this problem.
That sucks Man. I remember the feeling. Raymos advice did the trick for me. I completely disassembled the 1.5 cleaned everything and put it back together and haven't had an issue since. Hope you get it working correctly

Goonkiller123

Member For 1 Year
plus there is a reported problem with some Kanthal wires not being true Kanthal, especially if the wire is from Kidney Puncher. use a small magnet and see if your coils are magnetic or not, Kanthal will be magnetic and all other types of coil wires will not.

Thanks I did the magnetic test and is not magnetic I saw this on jai haze channel and immediately did the test just to make sure on my two spools. Thank for the advise

Goonkiller123

Member For 1 Year
That sucks Man. I remember the feeling. Raymos advice did the trick for me. I completely disassembled the 1.5 cleaned everything and put it back together and haven't had an issue since. Hope you get it working correctly

Yeah sucks I cleaned everything with hot water put it back together and the same I guess I will have some spare part for my other goon thanks for your reply.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Yeah sucks I cleaned everything with hot water put it back together and the same I guess I will have some spare part for my other goon thanks for your reply.
My advice is take your goon apart. Look up a schematics for the goon to see if any parts are missing. Clean, and put back together. I'm sure there is something on disassembly of the goon 1.5

It sounds like there is a lead touching something. Or a clipping your not seeing making a bad connection. It has to be one of the two. Nichrome rises when heated but not an entire .1

And some mods read different.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One thing I did notice on mine when I reassembled mine was that when I tightened up the 510 pin for the positive post, it was really tough to turn. I had to to apply some pretty tough force and I noticed it screwed in a bit further than out of the box, I dunno if that was what fixed my issue or raymos advice honestly but it was raymo who gave me the idea to disassemble, clean and reassemble. Worst to worst contact 528 cutsoms and let them know, I would hope they would do something for you.
I recently had this same issue when the Twisted messes 24 pro came out. I got the black colorway on his first batch and some of them had some kind of 510 issue where my resistance jumped all over. I let Kent (Twisted messes) know on Instagram and he apologized and sent me a brand new deck free of charge/shipping and fast too.
However I notice you mentioning your wire not being 'magnetic' (the whole Jai Haze wholesale KP wire issue) but I see in your first post that you say you are using Nichrome 80, which is not supposed to be magnetic. Kanthal wire is what has some magnetic propertie (unless you have some spools labeled kanthal that aren't) but if your Goon isn't working right with N80 then I would contact 528. Good luck man I hope they fix your problem and get you enjoying the atomizers you paid good money for.

Goonkiller123

Member For 1 Year
One thing I did notice on mine when I reassembled mine was that when I tightened up the 510 pin for the positive post, it was really tough to turn. I had to to apply some pretty tough force and I noticed it screwed in a bit further than out of the box, I dunno if that was what fixed my issue or raymos advice honestly but it was raymo who gave me the idea to disassemble, clean and reassemble. Worst to worst contact 528 cutsoms and let them know, I would hope they would do something for you.
I recently had this same issue when the Twisted messes 24 pro came out. I got the black colorway on his first batch and some of them had some kind of 510 issue where my resistance jumped all over. I let Kent (Twisted messes) know on Instagram and he apologized and sent me a brand new deck free of charge/shipping and fast too.
However I notice you mentioning your wire not being 'magnetic' (the whole Jai Haze wholesale KP wire issue) but I see in your first post that you say you are using Nichrome 80, which is not supposed to be magnetic. Kanthal wire is what has some magnetic propertie (unless you have some spools labeled kanthal that aren't) but if your Goon isn't working right with N80 then I would contact 528. Good luck man I hope they fix your problem and get you enjoying the atomizers you paid good money for.

Thanks, I will contact 528 and see what they can do about it, again thanks.

VU Sponsors