Become a Patron!

Gplat24 Red

Who wants to spend over $1/foot for wire? I did. I will make it short and sweet. I liked the inclusion of 3 cotton balls with the 20 feet of wire. Nice touch. The wire itself looks no different than kanthal to me. It is exponentially more malleable however making coil building a breeze. I will say that I really didn't notice a difference in the vapor production over standard kanthal. I did notice a slight improvement in the flavor. I also bought the Gplat22 Blue which is more expensive than Red and is supposed to be specifically for increased flavor. I will post a review on that in the future. I am one of those guys who hates the taste of new cotton wicks no matter which brand I use and was hoping this cotton was somehow superior like the wire was supposed to be. Alas it has the same horrible flavor for the first day of Vaping as every other cotton I have tried. Verdict is negative on the Gplat Red unless you have trouble building with kanthal and want a softer wire.

LucidiousRage

The "X Wick" Man!
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
Founding Vendor
VU Wholeseller
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Taken from CCI Chance Karl TravisCloud Chasers Inc.

VAPING HEALTH ALERT!!! it has been brought to the attention of the vaping community that "GPLAT" resistance wire contains Manganese. Manganese is a toxic element when heated. The fumes when heated and inhaled are linked to impaired motor skills, cognitive disorders and Parkinson Disease, most commonly found in welders. If you are using GPLAT wire for vaping you are in direct risk of seriously damaging your body. RIP THAT SHIT OUT OF YOUR SETUP NOW!!! Vaping is a healthy hobby we don't want any shit in our vape.

"Manganese compounds are less toxic than those of other widespread metals, such as nickel and copper.[47] However, exposure to manganese dusts and fumes should not exceed the ceiling value of 5 mg/m3 even for short periods because of its toxicity level.[48] Manganese poisoning has been linked to impaired motor skills and cognitive disorders.[49]"

Taken from various posts around facebook:

gplat1.jpg gplat wire.jpg

Ghostrider

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Vapinology LLC
G-Plat Public Announcement:

As all of you are aware, there have been some concerns that have been brought to our attention in regards to the composition and safety of G-Plat wires. We have spoken to the metallurgist at the facility in which our wires are being prepared and he has given us some insight regarding the “Manganese” content of G-Plat wires. Manganese has no part in the actual composition of both our V1.2 and Elite versions of G-Plat. However, during the manufacturing process, the wire is exposed to Manganese indirectly due to other types of wires containing Manganese being produced within the same facility.

Although it may seem as if a member of the G-Plat team issued a WARNING about the use of G-Plat wires, the conversation has been misinterpreted to make it seem as if G-Plat wires are a health risk. Our team member, knowing that our wires may have been exposed to trace amounts of Manganese, was only trying to look out for the best interest of an individual that stated he was allergic to the substance. With that being said, we would like to apologize for the delay in providing the information that the vaping community has been requesting. We are currently waiting on our metallurgist to provide us with the most accurate information about the wires (i.e. although Manganese is listed on the MSDS, it is not part of the actual composition of G-Plat wire). The information will be disclosed to the vaping industry no later than tomorrow evening.

We appreciate those of you who believe in our product and continue to stand behind us as we overcome this obstacle!

Regards,

Mark Vape, Melmie Lincod & G-Plat Team

Wow! This has certainly taken an interesting turn. L Rage thanks for bringing this possible issue to our attention. Mark, I appreciate your response and I will postpone judgement (i e ripping the coils out of my atty's) until you have made your case.

LucidiousRage

The "X Wick" Man!
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
Founding Vendor
VU Wholeseller
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I have also read posts related to there being copper in gplat as well, which as you know would NOT be a good idea at all to heat and vape. I have not had the time to properly research these findings myself as I have been swamped getting the VU up and running, but I wanted to respond to your post asap just in case the quotes that I put in had merit, better safe, than sorry sort of thing. I will definitely be tuned in to see what the follow up is.

People have reached out to them many times even before this blew up and were ignored. I have friends that own shops that have reached out to them asking with was in the wire for their customers health benefits and they have not replied to them. Not replying to customers/vendors/resellers shows a lot of bad things. Deceit and manipulation, all of that. Lets see the MSDS and let us decide. If Jeremy were asked to disclose an MSDS for RXW, he would have to do it, and he would do it. Hell its prob on his site!

I wish them the best, and hope theres nothing harmful in this wire. I would not use it till I got a list of whats in it. Thats like taking a random pill you find in your medicine cabinet for a headache thinking its an advil.

I'm looking forward to seeing the MSDS. The statement above says that G-Plat does not "contain" manganese, but instead, may have been exposed because manganese is used in other products in the same factory, so a person with a manganese allergy should definitely avoid it. This is the equivalent of a person with a peanut allergy not only avoiding peanut butter, but things processed in a plant that also makes peanut products. That's the reason that "Made in a facility that also uses milk, wheat, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts" might be found on a food label.

The problem is, there's no label with that information on G-Plat wire. It's not a problem with Kanthal, because the MSDS is readily available for that, so anyone can go and look at it. I think that is the main thing that rubs me wrong with this whole deal. G-Plat has dodged questions since the beginning, and seem to be more interested in protecting their bottom line than their customers' health. It looks to me that they refuse to release the info in order to prevent other people from buying the same resistance wire they are repackaging at pennies per foot instead of $1/foot. If their wire actually is a novel product, and not repackaging of an existing resistance wire, then any company interested in "cloning" it would have the resources and expertise necessary to buy a sample and analyze it to determine the make up. The only people potentially hurt by refusing to release an MSDS are the consumers.

seasquared570

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As most of you now know, there has been a lot of buzz surrounding Gplat wire, the materials used in the manufacturing process and the vague responses from it's wholesaler Vapinology.

I consider myself to be a relatively safe vaper, quite possibly a touch neurotic. I research everything. When rebuilding first became popular I researched Kanthal and was able to find a multitude of information. Then when Nichrome hit the scene I once again researched that and once again found a plethora of information, although I never once used Nichrome. However, when I researched Gplat, I found nothing but facebook links, vendor links & youtube reviews. No information on what it actually is, except that it's "softer than Kanthal." So, I ignored the product and decided not to ever use it until more information became available. Then a question was asked, what is this Gplat stuff? That's when a friend and I decided to contact Vapinology with the intent to obtain an MSDS. We contacted Vapinology first via e-mail ([email protected] & [email protected]) and received no response. Two days later, I contacted two online vendors that stock the wire (Vapor Kings & VapeUpUSA) again receiving no response. The day after that I decided to private message them (Gplat Wires Vapinology) through facebook. That is when I finally received a response and that response, in it's entirety can be seen in the above thread as well as many vaping related facebook pages & groups. So yes, those screenshots are my exact conversion with them through facebook messenger.

I had the conversation & I took the screenshots.

I posted them to a facebook group with the following message, "ATTENTION FELLOW PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY GIVE A SHIT! PLEASE READ & SHARE THE PISS OUT OF THIS!" and that is exactly what they did. I felt the need that the vaping community needed to be informed that 1) there is Manganese present in the wire and 2) that they openly denied us a copy of the MSDS citing that it is a "competitive" industry and were worried that someone may steal the process and run them out of business, at least that was my interpretation. The important thing to get out of that conversation was that they refused to make available the MSDS for Gplat wire, not the fact that there is Manganese present in the product. Yes, Manganese is terrible if inhaled, however that was not intended to be the main point but that is what everyone focused on. The major point was that there isn't an MSDS for Gplat and that Vapinology denied me a copy of one. It is illegal to deny a consumer a copy of an MSDS when asked for one. That was the point and a lot of people missed it.

If I may also address the "but Manganese is present in multi-vitamins as well" argument.
Yes, it is in multi-vitamins, and in small amounts it is perfectly fine for a person to ingest. However, we are not ingesting it. We are not ingesting anything when we vape. Inhalation is a completely different process compared to digestion. Please do not think that just because it is safe to eat, it must also be safe to vape.

I feel that vapers, and consumers in general, have the right to make an informed decision and they should be provided with the necessary resources to make that decision, especially when they ask for them. Once they make that informed decision, they assume any risks involved. I'm not saying to swear off Gplat, or that we should condemn them for what they've done or that we should arm ourselves with pitchforks and walk right up to Vapinology's front door. I'm simply saying that vapers should think for a second before they just freely vape whatever is the new, hot thing on the market. We were all up in arms when the industry was referred to as being "like the Wild Wild West" well guess what, it is. New shops open up every single day and think that they can just grab some base ingredients, some nicotine, some flavoring and start selling e-liquid. It's the same with hardware manufacturer's. That's all well and good, I'm all for improving the industry & our economy, but the overwhelming majority doesn't question it and just dives right in head first. I'm sorry but when a shop spells 'sauce' with two "S's" on their bottles I get a little worried about that bottles' contents. Be skeptical, be inquisitive, be that nagging jerk that asks a million questions before buying something that may or may not be more harmful than a tobacco cigarette. Know exactly what it is that you are willfully putting inside your body and more importantly, know the risks involved.

I think I speak for most of us when I say that I started vaping because it is better alternative to traditional cigarettes, let's keep it that way.

Sincerely,
Christopher J. Gaylets

I dont see how we as vapers, can allow a company to put any vaping product out that doesnt show its materials from the get go. Vaping is still in its infancy and already its being heavily contested by local, state, federal and other country governments. Whats worse is on a world wide scale we are losing. So ANYTHING that might be harmful shouldnt be embraced, and not know the exact components of a product should not be endorsed the way Gplat has been.

seasquared570

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
and to add to that, We (the people that are questioning the product) are being vilified by its manufactures and its supporters and now there are even more people supporting the brand, the product and its manufacturers even more now that they have been called out. I have no issue with Gplat or Vapinology, I'm fine with never using the product, what I do have a problem with is the way in which Vapinology is handling this situation. If you want to be taken seriously as a brand and as a company, do not release a poorly written, grammatical error ridden post on various facebook groups. Have the lawyers that you say you spoke with draft up a proper letter with a proper letterhead and then release that to everyone. I think I speak for a lot when I say that a proper letter would be better received and more likely to be believed than just a post on facebook.

One thing that makes me sick is the "well if you don't think it's safe, don't use it" argument, that is piss poor attitude to have. That is the same attitude that just fuels the fires of regulation and I'll be damned if the majority of the community has to face the consequences because a couple hundred punks think it's safe to push the envelope every single day.
What has to happen before they realize that some of the things they are doing on a daily basis are just not safe?

I have also read posts related to there being copper in gplat as well, which as you know would NOT be a good idea at all to heat and vape. I have not had the time to properly research these findings myself as I have been swamped getting the VU up and running, but I wanted to respond to your post asap just in case the quotes that I put in had merit, better safe, than sorry sort of thing. I will definitely be tuned in to see what the follow up is.
Ok so i have actually sent gplat 2 a metal ologist so we can see what's in it but tell then that's all i use better taste and better production

VU Sponsors