Become a Patron!

Greetings and Newbie question about RTA Tanks

Howdy ya'll !....(guess my southern upbringing hasn't worn out completely)

So...I posted here because there didn't seem to be much activity in the RTA forum...

I've been Vaping for about 3 years.

The first few mods I tried didn't give me much flavor - and that is what I'm mostly after (I suppose everyone is), but I really didn't know what I was doing really

I couldn't get any results with the mods I bought (which were maxing out around 40 watts)

So a couple people I met told me I needed a mod with at least 200 watts of power and a sub-ohm tank

So I bought a Sigelei 200 watt mod, and a Moonshot Tank (?) - I can't remember what it was but it came with the Mod - and then I couldn't find anyone that had the replacement coils after a couple months - so I bought a replacement Vapresso Tank.

I can still find replacement coils for the Vapresso Tank but - problem is, the coils stop giving out flavor after only a couple days it seems...and I am paying $12 per 3 -pack , usually 2 at a time. That combined with shipping usually adds up to at least $50 every time I need coils...which is like every two weeks at the least...

I did some research on Dripping Tanks, RDAs and RTAs and decided to buy a RTA - a cheap one from China admittedly,

(I don't' remember the name/manufacturer)

....and I got some pre-wound coils and some cotton and a tool set and I was off...

And I got NO FLAVOR. I mean NONE

Ok, so back to buying $40-$50 worth of replacement coils every two weeks minimum - and that is only because I'm on a tight budget.

Saw some vids on YouTube about cleaning and re-using the coils, but it doesn't work that well.....

So I am SICK of buying coils every month, and I REALLY want a RTA that will allow me to save money on coils (as well as maximizing flavor ??) by just replacing the cotton and the wired coils, but I'm afraid that the same will happen - NO FLAVOR.

I'm thinking of buying a OXVA Arbiter RTA - it's around $30 - and that's from the same people I usually buy e-juice from (since very few people sell Pop Clouds - which so far, is the only e-juice I like)

I also did some research on YouTube about the OXVA Arbiter, and three different Y-Tubers all said it was a good to very good RTA in construction and flavor, and one guy added it to his "Best RTAs of 2021" list , and mentioned that is was a good RTA for beginners

So - I apologize for the long post - I just want to see if anyone can give me on any feedback...for a newbie to RTAs and fairly new to Vaping in general, as I've only been doing it for about 2-3 years...

I'm looking for a way to ease into the RTA and/or RDA world so I can get the most flavor possible, as well as save money on buying the damn coils all the time - )which the first tank I both with my mod - the replacement coils aren't even available anymore - so I don't want to have to go through that again with my Vapresso Tank....)

I'm just trying to make sure that if I buy this OXVA Tank, that I won't go through what I went through with the first RTA I bought - NO FLAVOR AT ALL - and I just don't know why that happened....

Anyway - apologies again for the very long post - any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Jaek

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Coil placement is key to any rta. To high its spits and is hot. To low n flavor goes to shit. Just keep playing with it till you get it rite.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Howdy ya'll !....(guess my southern upbringing hasn't worn out completely)

So...I posted here because there didn't seem to be much activity in the RTA forum...

I've been Vaping for about 3 years.

The first few mods I tried didn't give me much flavor - and that is what I'm mostly after (I suppose everyone is), but I really didn't know what I was doing really

I couldn't get any results with the mods I bought (which were maxing out around 40 watts)

So a couple people I met told me I needed a mod with at least 200 watts of power and a sub-ohm tank

So I bought a Sigelei 200 watt mod, and a Moonshot Tank (?) - I can't remember what it was but it came with the Mod - and then I couldn't find anyone that had the replacement coils after a couple months - so I bought a replacement Vapresso Tank.

I can still find replacement coils for the Vapresso Tank but - problem is, the coils stop giving out flavor after only a couple days it seems...and I am paying $12 per 3 -pack , usually 2 at a time. That combined with shipping usually adds up to at least $50 every time I need coils...which is like every two weeks at the least...

I did some research on Dripping Tanks, RDAs and RTAs and decided to buy a RTA - a cheap one from China admittedly,

(I don't' remember the name/manufacturer)

....and I got some pre-wound coils and some cotton and a tool set and I was off...

And I got NO FLAVOR. I mean NONE

Ok, so back to buying $40-$50 worth of replacement coils every two weeks minimum - and that is only because I'm on a tight budget.

Saw some vids on YouTube about cleaning and re-using the coils, but it doesn't work that well.....

So I am SICK of buying coils every month, and I REALLY want a RTA that will allow me to save money on coils (as well as maximizing flavor ??) by just replacing the cotton and the wired coils, but I'm afraid that the same will happen - NO FLAVOR.

I'm thinking of buying a OXVA Arbiter RTA - it's around $30 - and that's from the same people I usually buy e-juice from (since very few people sell Pop Clouds - which so far, is the only e-juice I like)

I also did some research on YouTube about the OXVA Arbiter, and three different Y-Tubers all said it was a good to very good RTA in construction and flavor, and one guy added it to his "Best RTAs of 2021" list , and mentioned that is was a good RTA for beginners

So - I apologize for the long post - I just want to see if anyone can give me on any feedback...for a newbie to RTAs and fairly new to Vaping in general, as I've only been doing it for about 2-3 years...

I'm looking for a way to ease into the RTA and/or RDA world so I can get the most flavor possible, as well as save money on buying the damn coils all the time - )which the first tank I both with my mod - the replacement coils aren't even available anymore - so I don't want to have to go through that again with my Vapresso Tank....)

I'm just trying to make sure that if I buy this OXVA Tank, that I won't go through what I went through with the first RTA I bought - NO FLAVOR AT ALL - and I just don't know why that happened....

Anyway - apologies again for the very long post - any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Jaek
What @Wb80 said is spot on.
Youtube is your friend, when I was new to building I'd find videos from reviewers and watch their coil placement and wicking then duplicate it. There's a review out there for 90% of the rta's for sale. Eventually with practice you can look at any RTA deck and just know where to place the coil based on the airflow.

Good luck, you've got this

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
First of all you need to start here. Then, you'll want to keep this link handy. Steam Engine you need to understand is a guide. You'll eventually be winding out 0.30 ohm coils in your sleep.

Why 0.30 ohm coils? Because. Thirdly you need to look into a decent RDA. Good ones can be had for $20-$30, there's even some good ones for around $12. Look for Wasp Nano, Advken Gorge, growing fond of this Redemption RDA I got too.

You won't need to blow no $40 - $50 on coils monthly. You might spend about $20 every three to six months. You'll get good wire from TemCo. Look 'em up they're good. Look for resistance wire on their site.

I like kanthal as a good all around wire. Sometimes I'm playing i might use SS316L. Every once in a bit I might try NiCr 80. I don't do any real fancy builds, prefer simplicity. It works out well for me, modest clouds and fair to decent flavor.

Understand though I use unflavored ejuice mostly. I got no sense of smell and limited taste. I can though know good flavor over no flavor. I know tanks never really offered me much flavor. That's why I swapped to RDAs.

Also understand I'm not telling you what to do in this posting. This is what worked for me and so I suggest it. Yes, know it reads a bit assertive. Apologies for that, tired a bit. You can keep on with tanks but if you keep getting more of the same, ... well, ...

You can also learn coil building, buy wire and use that for tanks. Save yourself major bucks over pre-made coils.

VU Sponsors