Guillermo Del Toro's Scrapped Pacific Rim Sequel Sounds Crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
It sounds as though Guillermo del Toro had some ambitious plans for his scrapped Pacific Rim sequel… with time travel and the return of a dead hero.

During an interview with The Wrap, director Guillermo del Toro revealed his scrapped plans for a Pacific Rim sequel… and they’re pretty wild.

“The villain was this tech guy that had invented basically sort of the internet 2.0,” he revealed. “And then they realized that all his patents came to him one morning. And so little by little, they started putting together this and they said, ‘Oh, he got them from the precursors’. The guys that control the kaiju.”

“And then we found out that the precursors are us thousands of years in the future,” del Toro explained. “They’re trying to terraform, trying to re-harvest the earth to survive. Wow. And that we were in exo-bio-suits that looked alien, but they were not. We were inside. And it was a really interesting paradox.”

This time-travelling twist would have changed everything we know about the kaiju and the precursors. But it wasn’t meant to be. Instead, we eventually got Pacific Rim: Uprising – a watered down sequel which took some elements of del Toro’s scrapped movie but lacked its ambition.

“It was really crazy,” del Toro added. “Some elements of that they took and they re-jigged.”

One of the main differences between the two sequels was the fate of Mako Mori – the Jaeger co-pilot who unceremoniously died off screen. That wouldn’t have happened in del Toro’s film.

“To me, the hero was Mako Mori,” he said. “I wanted her not only to live, I wanted her to be one of the main characters in the second movie.”

As an orphan whose parents are killed in a kaiju attack, only to be raised by one of the greatest Jaeger pilots of all time (played by Idris Elba) it feels only fitting that Mori should have led the charge in the Pacific Rim sequel.

Unfortunately, that never came to be, and Mori never rejoined her fellow Jaeger pilots. Even more frustrating, many of del Toro’s wilder ideas were scrapped entirely.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors