Become a Patron!

Has my nic gone bad?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
In the past, I used nic from Nicotine River and was very happy with it. Now I'm using nic from Heartland Vapes. I keep an unopened bottle in the freezer, but I foolishly kept the working bottle in the fridge. It was fine when I got it but now has just a slight yellow color. What's left is now in the freezer. The problem is the last time I mixed up some unflavored "base", it tasted strong and bitter. I have recently learned it can separate while stored... I never shake it (even when using it) so wondering if it's actually OK and just separated. I'm OCD about shaking my mixed base and mt actual mixed juices... just forgot to shake the nic. Obviously, I will shake it before using the next time. Should I shake the bottles that are in the freezer (maybe once a week)... would that help? They are 50VG/50PG is that matters (I did prefer when my nic was just PG... easier to pour into a funnel)

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't believe nic separates when stored once it's in a solution. Most likely your nic is just a little oxidized and has a stronger flavor. There's nothing wrong with that but if that flavor is bothersome I'd recommend using that nic batch with stronger flavored mixes and it should be unnoticeable.

As for nic in the freezer I see no reason to touch it until I decant a liter into smaller glass bottles, then I shake it a couple times before portioning it out. Nic that's been in my freezer for over seven years seems just fine after being left untouched.

Where did you learn nic separates?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My nic used to be in just PG. Now it's 50/50. Maybe the nic is mostly in the PG and it and the VG have separated some. The truth is, these are only 120 ml bottles so I really need to get more while it's affordable.
I learned about this on another (older) thread here on VU.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I never shake it (even when using it) so wondering if it's actually OK and just separated.

always shake your nic and flavors... you can get hot spots in your nic and flavors really need a good hake so before using..

I don't believe nic separates when stored once it's in a solution. Most likely your nic is just a little oxidized and has a stronger flavor. There's nothing wrong with that but if that flavor is bothersome I'd recommend using that nic batch with stronger flavored mixes and it should be unnoticeable.

As for nic in the freezer I see no reason to touch it until I decant a liter into smaller glass bottles, then I shake it a couple times before portioning it out. Nic that's been in my freezer for over seven years seems just fine after being left untouched.

Where did you learn nic separates?

Nic doe not really separate.. think more on "clumping".. it happens. A higher cluster of nic patches creates what is called hot spots. Flavors, on the other hand, are created with compounds, and if you ever work with say chocolate.. you can see some particle like action when compounds settle on the bottom of the bottle.

I'd write more, but my keyboard is going out on me.. good luck! :)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
"Hot spots"... that makes sense. Other times before (same bottle) seemed fine, then this time it was way stronger. Lesson learned.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I needed to make some more unflavored base. Let the nic warm up a bit, shook the heck out of it. It does seem to have oxidized some (slight yellow color) but what's bothering me is the smell. Rather noticeable tobacco smell. I'm still going to use it (low budget... don't waste anything) I've heard good things about Heartland but now I hesitate to get more nic from them. Also, they seem to be out of stock of most except in VG (I really want it in PG this time) I did find some super good quality nic but it costs much more. If I can scrape up the $ I'm getting it (I'll deserve it after choking down the rest of this batch)

VU Sponsors