Become a Patron!

Have some questions about our favorite hobby :)

NoobVape

Member For 1 Year
Hi. I was a smoker for over a decade and switched to Vaping back in 2016 after running into a buddy of mine on the street and noticing his Alien+Cloud Beast combo. Since then I've picked up info and learned a lot I think but I feel that I still have a long way to go and so I've come here to try and gain some more knowledge on the matter. First I'll give you an idea of what my experience has been thus far (I'll try and keep it short) and then I'll ask some questions and hopefully I can get some answers from you guys. Thanks!

I've owned 3 Box Mods so far and all 3 are now broken. My first mod was a Wismec Predator which served for a while until some juice leaked into the trigger. After that I ordered a Tesla WYE 200 which I liked a lot but again when I was at work one night, I was outisde and didn't notice that my Cloud Beast was leaking juice. The Juice leaked right into the button and the mod began firing on its own after that. I thought maybe I could get the button off somehow and just clean the juice out inside but I couldn't get it off and I don't have a tiny screwdriver or w.e the tool is called for those tiny screws. After the WYE I got an Alien which is now not working as of a few days ago. It started about a week ago where it would just turn off on its own and I'd have to turn it back on and then two days ago it was reading the resistance incorrectly and now it says ohms too low. I read on the Smok website that in these cases of ohs too low or too high that the screws are loose and need to be tightened but again, I don't have the tool for that right now. I've ordered a Tesla SteamPunk 220W which should arrive any day now.

I've had 3 tanks as well. The Wismec tank that came with the Predator, The Smok V8 Cloud beast and lastly the X-baby Beast. I like the X-baby because of the top air flow it can't leak. After some research about the Cloud beast I found out that the leaking is actually a defect of the Smok coils and that if you screw it on to the top part first then it won't leak.

I've tried about maybe 30-40 different juices I would say. Out of those 30-40 I'd say there were about 10 that I really liked a lot. I know there are thousands of other juices out there.

So that's pretty much it for my experience with vaping so far, apologies if it's too much to read.

I have many questions about vaping but I'll try and ask some here now.

1. I've only ever experienced these Smok pre built sub ohm Tanks and Coils. I like them and they are simple enough to use once you get the hang of it but I'd like to know more about other tanks. I know there are RBA's and RTA's and Drippers and other things that I have no idea about. From what I understand, for these types of tanks you have to make your own coils and put your own cotton in? I've also read that the flavor is better than the pre built coils. I want to know if the difference in the flavor is drastic. Do one of the do it yourself types give provide much better flavor than these Smok Coils? I'm lazy and like the simpler stuff but if the flavor is much better maybe it's worth looking into. Also as I've said I've only really had experience with the Smok Tanks/Coils do you think there are better pre-built tanks/coils and if so could you name some for me to check out please.
The drip tips I have on these Smok Tanks are Wide Bore or Boar w.e they called. Do smaller drip tips = better flavor?

2. Vapors Tongue. I seem to have an issue with this. I chain vape a lot and with some juices I just lose all the taste. When I wake up in the morning and take my first few drags I can taste the flavor of the juice but then later it just seems to go away. I think this is a lot more prevalent in some juice. I did notice that blowing into the tank before taking a hit seems to bring back the flavor a bit so not sure what that's about.

Well I guess that's it for now. I'll add any questions when they come up and any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
  1. The improved flavor and performance is yes, drastic. Building is easy, just a little bit of practice and it's very easy just watch some YouTube videos, practice and you'll easily get the hang of it.
  2. Vapors Tongue just drink a lot of water and also jump around in flavor. I always carry around two devices with different flavors, that works for me

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Welcome to the UNDERGROUND!

IMHO, Most RTA's using handmade or purchased coils which you install yourself along with the wick will give your a superior flavor, not to mention saving money since you are no longer purchasing coil head assemblies.

RDA's Will provide an even better flavor but you are constantly having to fuss with adding liquid. That is unless you get into Sqounking which gives you the best of both worlds.

As for Vapors Tongue, the best way to avoid that is to drink one heck of a lot of water to keep your mouth tissues moist. Vaping will dry them out if you don't keep yourself properly hydrated.

I also keep a bottle of Biotene on hand. It's a mouthwash especially made to moisten the soft tissues in your mouth as well as your tongue.

NoobVape

Member For 1 Year
  1. The improved flavor and performance is yes, drastic. Building is easy, just a little bit of practice and it's very easy just watch some YouTube videos, practice and you'll easily get the hang of it.
  2. Vapors Tongue just drink a lot of water and also jump around in flavor. I always carry around two devices with different flavors, that works for me
Thanks for the reply man! I will watch some vids and see about trying something new. I also like to have atleast two mods/tanks and different juices on hand but right now both my mods are basically dead. Ordered the Steam Punk 220 and watching reviews of some other mods. I want to order 2 more mods so I have 3.

NoobVape

Member For 1 Year
Welcome to the UNDERGROUND!

IMHO, Most RTA's using handmade or purchased coils which you install yourself along with the wick will give your a superior flavor, not to mention saving money since you are no longer purchasing coil head assemblies.

RBA's Will provide an even better flavor but you are constantly having to fuss with adding liquid. That is unless you get into Sqounking which gives you the best of both worlds.

As for Vapors Tongue, the best way to avoid that is to drink one heck of a lot of water to keep your mouth tissues moist. Vaping will dry them out if you don't keep yourself properly hydrated.

I also keep a bottle of Biotene on hand. It's a mouthwash especially made to moisten the soft tissues in your mouth as well as your tongue.

Yea I want to try an RTA I think. No clue at all what Sqounking is but it sounds good! Will have to check out some videos on those. RBA is a dripper I take it? You have to drip the liquid on the cotton after like 15 drags or something? I couldn't deal with that haha. That's good info on the Vapors Tongue I'll try and keep hydrated maybe try that biotene. Thanks!

NoobVape

Member For 1 Year
If you guys wouldn't mind I'd like to ask for a few recommendations for a box mod or two. I've already ordered the Punk 220 and I want to get 1-2 more mods atleast. I've been looking at the Smok Mag but there are so many others.

I'd ask for a recommendation on an RTA or Sqounk but I have no idea about them yet need to watch videos first and learn about them.

Oh there's one more thing also about these Smok Coils. I recently noticed that these coils are lasting me a really long time like over a month easily. Before I would change coils pretty often maybe once a week because that's what most recommend but then I just didn't change it and it was fine for a long time. Could that have messed up my Alien Mod? Lol

I ordered coils at a pretty good price from Vapor Beast and still have plenty left so it's not very expensive for me to use these coils. I'm more interested in the Flavor but yea always good to save me anyway. I

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never used a "replaceable head" tank since the Nova days. Only positive I see for them is for folks with hand/eye issues, (seniors, palsy, arthritis, etc). For the price of a head you can buy a whole roll of wire, bag of organic cotton, or a sheet of mesh.

Ask google to match heads and tanks - Some places are kind enough to list who fits what, most are not. (It's like asking about bloody screw sizes!). You might even order a replacement head-tank for emergencies, and just concentrate on learning to wick&wire.

NoobVape

Member For 1 Year
I've never used a "replaceable head" tank since the Nova days. Only positive I see for them is for folks with hand/eye issues, (seniors, palsy, arthritis, etc). For the price of a head you can buy a whole roll of wire, bag of organic cotton, or a sheet of mesh.

Ask google to match heads and tanks - Some places are kind enough to list who fits what, most are not. (It's like asking about bloody screw sizes!). You might even order a replacement head-tank for emergencies, and just concentrate on learning to wick&wire.

I have a few Vape shops not far from me and they help with that stuff. They seem to know what they are doing so maybe I'll try and have them show me whats what with the RBA or RTA or RDA or SQOUANK lol

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Yea I want to try an RTA I think. No clue at all what Sqounking is but it sounds good! Will have to check out some videos on those. RBA is a dripper I take it? You have to drip the liquid on the cotton after like 15 drags or something? I couldn't deal with that haha. That's good info on the Vapors Tongue I'll try and keep hydrated maybe try that biotene. Thanks!

Sorry I meant RDA AKA a Dripper.

A Sqounker is a mod that has a soft plastic bottle in it. Said bottle feeds E-Lquid through a hole in the 510 base to a Bottom Fed (BF) RDA with a hole in the base which gets liquid to the wick. Basically, you give the little plastic bottle a small squeeze every now and then to feed the wick and life is good!

NoobVape

Member For 1 Year
Sorry I meant RDA AKA a Dripper.

A Sqounker is a mod that has a soft plastic bottle in it. Said bottle feeds E-Lquid through a hole in the 510 base to a Bottom Fed (BF) RDA with a hole in the base which gets liquid to the wick. Basically, you give the little plastic bottle a small squeeze every now and then to feed the wick and life is good!
Interesting. I'll take a look at that. And the Flavor is even better than the RBA?

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

NoobVape

Member For 1 Year
So looks like Sqounkings been around since 2009 but only this year started hitting the mainstream. Looks like a much more efficient way to get the RDA performance but it seems like it would have some drawbacks as well. Under/Over Sqounking might be a pain and leaking.

I have another problem with many of these mods they put the fire button or trigger right under the 510 and if a tank leaks juice it leaks right into the button and wreaks havoc on the mod. I guess if you're careful and get a good tank that never leaks then you're fine but damn why do they keep making them this way

Do the RBA's and RDA's leak a lot?

Another question lol sorry. What is it about RBA and RDA that makes them have so much more flavor than a Cloud Beast or similar Tank?

Last edited:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Oh yeah, some leak like the Titanic. Part of it has to do with skill in either dripping or squeezing the squonk bottle. Some RDAs are deliberately built to minimize leaking while some are so small that it's hard to avoid. Ultimately, one has to do some experimenting with RDAs and find those that suit your needs. I recently got a Drop RDA and for me it's really nailed that intersection of great flavor and almost no leakage, but it took some time to get to this point. Squonking is a great way to vape, but it has some drawbacks to be sure.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
So looks like Sqounkings been around since 2009 but only this year started hitting the mainstream. Looks like a much more efficient way to get the RDA performance but it seems like it would have some drawbacks as well. Under/Over Sqounking might be a pain and leaking.

I have another problem with many of these mods they put the fire button or trigger right under the 510 and if a tank leaks juice it leaks right into the button and wreaks havoc on the mod. I guess if you're careful and get a good tank that never leaks then you're fine but damn why do they keep making them this way

Another question lol sorry. What is it about RBA and RDA that makes them have so much more flavor than a Cloud Beast or similar Tank?

If you find a build that never leaks let me know. I would not mind having such a contraption. Leaking is par for the course generally speaking and while it can be minimal it can not be eliminated (in my opinion/experience).

Tesla steampunk isnt a bad mod. One day mine will return from the unknown.

If the idea of building your own is out due to convenience you will ultimately cheat yourself out of some great vaping experiences. Once you get the hang of it its pretty easy. If you dont care to make your own coils, you can buy premade packs and just wick it. This will still be less expensive and give you more options than the cartridge devices.

Best advice is experiment. Find some sales and try a couple of each styles and see if they work for you. I like the heracles for cartridges and will use that when traveling to avoid carrying build kit. That or the Smok TFV12.

Last edited:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Welcome to VU. The Smoant Battlestar, Cylon. and Charon tc are good reliable devices. Wismec Ravager has gotten some good feedback as well. OBS Engine (dual coil) or the Engine Nano (single coil) are probably the easiest RTAs to learn with. Both 5ml capacity, top air flow (no leaks) with easy build decks and forgiving wicking. Advanced Vape Supply, AVS, has great wire and prebuilt coils. They offer a sample pack so you can explore using different styles of coils.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Do one of the do it yourself types give provide much better flavor than these Smok Coils? I'm lazy and like the simpler stuff but if the flavor is much better maybe it's worth looking into. Also as I've said I've only really had experience with the Smok Tanks/Coils do you think there are better pre-built tanks/coils and if so could you name some for me to check out please.

I concur building your own coils and setup does provide better flavor, better over all vaping.
Currently, I'm kind of having a love fest with the Gorge RDA. It does very well even being only a single coil deck, all in the build and how you wick really.

I could suggest starting with a 22 m Velocity V2 clone for cheap and to simply get started, although others might steer you toward 18 or even 14 mm decks. I started on the Velocities because I didn't have patience to fiddle with tiny stuff, that and an arthritis/nerve trouble running in the background kind of limit me at times. Not always but it's enough I rather stay 22 mm decks to 25 mm.

I'd ask for a recommendation on an RTA or Sqounk but I have no idea about them yet need to watch videos first and learn about them.

@UncleRJ explains squonking real simple below. He does a real good job too. :)

:) The squonk bottle is usually located inside the mod, along side the battery sled. There is usually no intermingling going in a good built bottom feeding mod/squonker. If there is you might try fixing it, or alternately trashing it. With a squonk kit you usually do not need an RTA, which is a Rebuild-able Tank Atomizer, you only need an RBA (ReBuild-able Atomizer). The squonk bottle is your tank. :)

VU Sponsors