Become a Patron!

Having a hell of a time figuring out wicking

N41L

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good morning,

I recently purchased an Augvape Alleria RTA, and is my first step into building my own coils. I'm not having any issues at all actually creating the coils. Using kanthal 26g wrapped clapton style with 32g kanthal, 2mm ID coils. I am having a seriously hard time getting my wicking working right though. I either get it to a point where even with the juice flow turned way down I get leaks, or I used too much cotton and I'm getting dry hits. I haven't seemed to find a spot where it all just works right. For example, last evening I had what I thought was a good wick going, and was vaping good all night. I closed off the juice flow and went to bed. This morning, it isn't wicking at all. Am I going to pretty much going to have to change the cotton every day?

Any helpful tips would be highly appreciated at this point.

Thanks.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It sounds like maybe your wick moved a bit when you closed off the juice flow control, but that's just an educated guess. @raymo2u might be able to steer you in the right direction when he sees this.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Good morning,

I recently purchased an Augvape Alleria RTA, and is my first step into building my own coils. I'm not having any issues at all actually creating the coils. Using kanthal 26g wrapped clapton style with 32g kanthal, 2mm ID coils. I am having a seriously hard time getting my wicking working right though. I either get it to a point where even with the juice flow turned way down I get leaks, or I used too much cotton and I'm getting dry hits. I haven't seemed to find a spot where it all just works right. For example, last evening I had what I thought was a good wick going, and was vaping good all night. I closed off the juice flow and went to bed. This morning, it isn't wicking at all. Am I going to pretty much going to have to change the cotton every day?

Any helpful tips would be highly appreciated at this point.

Thanks.
Try wicking it like this. You coils are only 2mm so you dont have much cotton to play with but thread enough through them so its doesnt pull through when tugged on each end of the coil. Then fluff those ends as much as you can with a paperclip or w/e then lightly guide the wick into the juice port, there shouldnt be much showing under the ring but when doing this make sure your not placing too much pressure on the wicking as it will degrade its capillary capabilities. It needs to be fluffed again after its placed in the ports to make sure all the area is covered while also helping its juice moving abilities. If your having trouble still cut your tips into a slanted edge with the point being closest to the outer edge.

Your wicking should look like this when done and juiced:

20160317_120211.jpg 20160324_133757.jpg

Make sure your closing the AFC when refilling and it always helps to close the JC so the glass is covering atleast 2mm under the wicking ring...

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Try wicking it like this. You coils are only 2mm so you dont have much cotton to play with but thread enough through them so its doesnt pull through when tugged on each end of the coil. Then fluff those ends as much as you can with a paperclip or w/e then lightly guide the wick into the juice port, there shouldnt be much showing under the ring but when doing this make sure your not placing too much pressure on the wicking as it will degrade its capillary capabilities. It needs to be fluffed again after its placed in the ports to make sure all the area is covered while also helping its juice moving abilities. If your having trouble still cut your tips into a slanted edge with the point being closest to the outer edge.

Your wicking should look like this when done and juiced:

View attachment 49117 View attachment 49118

Make sure your closing the AFC when refilling and it always helps to close the JC so the glass is covering atleast 2mm under the wicking ring...
Thanks, @raymo2u. I knew you'd come to his rescue!

N41L

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm going to try and set it up again when I get home later. Should I move to a 2.5mm ID coil build? Would that help any?

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Definitely a bigger coil will help as it lets you pull more wick. I usually build the biggest diameter I can cram in the deck as this hold a lot of juice inside the coil where it's needed. I wick rayon, which is bushy, so I tend to thin the tails to half volume or less. But it's rayon, so it wicks like a fire hose.

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm going to try and set it up again when I get home later. Should I move to a 2.5mm ID coil build? Would that help any?

My guess is that you will have better luck with the 2.5mm or bigger coils. That little extra room for cotton should make a difference in your wicking. You want some resistance as you are pulling your wick through the coil but not so much that it compresses the cotton so much it will not wick well. Just fluff and tuck your cotton like @raymo2u suggested and you should be fine.

N41L

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I appreciate the help, all of you.

I'll report back with how it goes after re-wicking and vaping tonight and then letting it sit overnight.

N41L

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I followed the tips, and last night vaped a tank with no issues. Closed off the juice flow and airflow and went to bed with about 1/8th of the tank still full. No leaks this morning, refilled tank and it's wicking properly today. I had a small leak when I opened the juice flow first thing this morning, but it wasn't even enough to go over the edge of my mod, but no other leaks this morning after running with the juice flow wide open. That I can live with!

Again, thank you all for the help.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I followed the tips, and last night vaped a tank with no issues. Closed off the juice flow and airflow and went to bed with about 1/8th of the tank still full. No leaks this morning, refilled tank and it's wicking properly today. I had a small leak when I opened the juice flow first thing this morning, but it wasn't even enough to go over the edge of my mod, but no other leaks this morning after running with the juice flow wide open. That I can live with!

Again, thank you all for the help.
It really helps if you take 4-5 draws on it ASAP after refilling to make sure you develop a good vacuum in the tank.

VU Sponsors