Hawkeye's Finale Reminded Us Anyone Can Be a Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Warning: This post contains spoilers for Hawkeye.

“Anyone can wear the mask” tore at our proverbial heartstrings in Into the Spider-Verse for a multitude of reasons. Miles Morales’ uncertainty followed by hearing the legendary Stan Lee acknowledge that anyone could be a hero… the movie got everyone up in our feelings because it reminded us of something we often forget: We all have the capacity for greatness.

Of course, we weren’t all bitten by a radioactive spider.

But that’s the thing: Throughout the ages, there have been countless non-powered heroes, many of which sit atop their respective comic pantheons. People like to make jokes about the “least interesting Avenger” when it comes to Clint Barton, but now that Hawkeye has concluded it’s clear that sentiment was more because of his screen time than it was an actual aversion to the character.

It’s hard to convince the naysayers though. Some folks are only in it for the powers. (Nevermind the fact that the likes of Captain America, Superman, and many of the other superpowered greats are the heroes that they are because they choose their humanity.) So how do you help them understand what makes Black Widow, Peggy Carter, Batgirl, Mockingbird, Katana, Falcon and any of the other countless non-powered heroes so important?

Turns out Kate Bishop explains it pretty well.

“When I was younger, aliens invaded,” she tells Clint as they prepare for war with Kingpin. “I was alone, and I was terrified. But then I saw you, fighting aliens with a stick and string. I saw you jump from that building even though you can’t fly, even though you don’t have superpowers. And I thought, ‘If he can do that, then I don't have to be scared.’ You showed me that being a hero isn’t just for people who can fly or shoot lasers out of their hands. It’s for anyone who is brave enough to do what’s right no matter the cost. I’m ready.”

It’s a small moment between the two archers. Clint smirks a bit in spite of himself, and then the preparation continues. But the moment hits nonetheless. Kate Bishop perfectly nails what makes heroes without abilities so, so important in the grand scheme of comic book storytelling.

Inspiration from these characters can be used for ill, sure. There’s plenty of loud examples of toxic fandom across multiple communities. But it can also inspire fans when they need it most. It gives fans a reminder that while the stark reality of “no one is coming to save us” is true, maybe that doesn’t have to matter because we all have the potential to be not just our own heroes, but a hero to others. More critical still, it can serve as a reminder to someone who feels like giving up that maybe there’s something still worth fighting for. Maybe, if this weird farmer can take on an alien with a stick and a string, they can keep going for a little while longer.

Some may call that trite or twee, but that’s ok. For the last two years, the world has felt like it’s ending for a multitude of reasons. The hopelessness that comes along with a global trauma event like a pandemic cannot be overstated. It’s moments — prolonged as they may be — like this one that make stories like Hawkeye so critical to viewers young and old. Everyone needs a reminder that they can be a hero now and again. The imperfections of Clint Barton and Kate Bishop remind us all that sometimes being a hero just means crawling out of bed and brushing your teeth that day, or laying next to the dog with a bag of peas on your face and a large pizza in your lap. Saving yourself matters just as much as saving other folks. Turns out you can’t do the former if the hero in question isn’t taken care of. (It’s you. You’re the hero. Go walk the dog.)

For more, check out how Hawkeye is giving Black Widow the eulogy she deserves, and read up on how the series redeems Clint Barton.

Amelia is the Streaming Editor here at IGN. She's also a film and television critic who spends too much time talking about dinosaurs, superheroes, and folk horror. You can usually find her with her dog, Rogers, or on Twitter @ThatWitchMia.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors