Become a Patron!

Hello from Idaho

IDJoel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello to everyone!
I am 53 years old and smoked a pack and a half of cigarettes a day for 32 years. I have tried to quit multiple times using different methods including cessation classes, gum, patches, cold turkey, smokeless products, prescriptions, even first generation e-cigarettes. I had some short-term success but nothing lasted.

Three and a half years ago, after bowling league, a young gentleman sat down beside me, and set modular tank and battery advanced personal vaporizer (an APV mod) down on the table between us. I recognized it as a newer version of the little cigarette sized/styled e-cigarette I had tried about 2 years prior. We began to talk.

I asked if that was indeed an APV and he answered that it was. I asked how it was working for him and he said he had be cigarette free for over a year. I replied that I was happy for him, but my own attempt at quitting using the little first generation e-cigs failed. He asked why and I explained that I could literally make myself nauseous with nicotine, using of various nicotine replacements, but nothing would satisfy the craving of "feeling" the smoke in my lungs.

He told me about the new equipment, like he was using, had the ability to create much more, and denser, vapor production. In addition, some designs had also added the ability to adjust power to the coils, allowing the user to tune the vapor output to what was needed at the moment.

He had some spare drip tips with him and he offered to let me try his to see how much of a difference there was between what he was using and what I had previously used. I eagerly jumped at the chance.

My previous vaping experience had been only marginally successful. The "vape pen" did indeed provide nicotine (I actually got dizzy a couple of times until I found the correct nicotine strength cartridge), and it would produce a visible cloud of vapor, but it was unable to give me the feeling in my lungs that I craved when not smoking.

When I tried the young man's that night in the bowling alley; I actually coughed like a first-time smoker! He grinned at me and made an adjustment on the machine and let me try again. It was much better but still a little coughing. Another adjustment. Now I could draw in the vapor without coughing and have the sensation in my lungs that no other replacement had been able to provide. I was excited!

I was concerned about the cost. My previous attempt at vaping cost me about $130 in hardware and the replacement cartridges were about half the cost of a pack of cigarettes for five cartridges. Cheaper than smoking but still a significant start-up cost. Now, two years later, here was a much more advanced device and I shuddered to think what the price tag was going to be. He told me he bought it at a local vape shop and paid about $80 for everything. I was stunned!

He explained that with the improved technology more adults were switching to them, more businesses were seeing that there was real market potential and therefore more competition, which helped to lower the price making it even more attractive to the consumer. We talked a while longer about use, and maintenance, and I finally left.

A week and a half later, on December 28, 2012, I walked into that same vapor shop and purchased my first APV. I bought it with the hope/expectation that it would at least reduce the amount of cigarettes I would smoke. If I was really fortunate I might be able to quit some day down the road.

This was not like previous attempts to quit where I was "determined" and tossed all my cigarettes and ashtrays. When I got home, I had 12 cigarettes left in the last pack of cigarettes I owned. I tossed them in my nightstand and placed the ashtrays on top of the fridge. Like I said; I was simply trying to cut back.

Jump ahead two years to January 1,2015. Vaping has been so effective for me that I moved the ashtrays out to the garage (saving them only for the occasional visitor that smokes) and I threw out that very same partial pack of cigarettes from my nightstand. It still had 8 VERY stale cigarettes in it.

Today I consider myself an ex-smoker. I believe that I will never go back to smoking. I no longer think about cigarettes. I can be around smokers and it does not tempt me or even smell good. About once a year I will take a drag from a friend's cigarette, just to see if I am missing anything, and it tastes horrible. It makes me feel horrible. I can't figure out how on earth I ever smoked in the first place.

IDJoel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have joined the V/U community to expand my horizons. I have been a vaper for over three years. I have been mixing (and vaping) my own ejuice exclusively for over a year. I have also participated on another forum for over a year; but I am interested to see what else is going on in this big wide world of ours so I am branching out. I have been an occasional lurker here on V/U and figured it was high time to get off my rear and commit.

Thank you to all of you who have made this opportunity possible.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Welcome Joel....my story is quite similar, been smoke free for 1.5 yr after 40 yrs of smoking a pack-a-day.

It's a great feeling not being shackled to a pack of smokes. Feel 100% better, can taste and smell, no more disgusting smelly ashtrays and clothing. Whole new world...!

It's very inspirational reading people are quitting by the thousands weekly. Every story is similar in many ways. I too tried all the products available, nothing worked like vaping.

Best of luck, and thank you for sharing your story.....:)

IDJoel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome Joel....my story is quite similar, been smoke free for 1.5 yr after 40 yrs of smoking a pack-a-day.

It's a great feeling not being shackled to a pack of smokes. Feel 100% better, can taste and smell, no more disgusting smelly ashtrays and clothing. Whole new world...!

It's very inspirational reading people are quitting by the thousands weekly. Every story is similar in many ways. I too tried all the products available, nothing worked like vaping.

Best of luck, and thank you for sharing your story.....:)
Thanks for taking the time to read. And thanks for taking even more time to reply! :wave:

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome-Dragon.gif

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to the VU. Similar story here smoked 50 years tried the cigalikes and hated them got an e-go pen and it worked. Now I'm doing my own builds and DIY.
Bummed a cig from a friend recently and hated it, could hardly choke it down coughing the whole time. NEVER again. Cig free forever.
Congratulations on finding something that works for you and quitting.

IDJoel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to the VU. Similar story here smoked 50 years tried the cigalikes and hated them got an e-go pen and it worked. Now I'm doing my own builds and DIY.
Bummed a cig from a friend recently and hated it, could hardly choke it down coughing the whole time. NEVER again. Cig free forever.
Congratulations on finding something that works for you and quitting.
Thanks Angrygod50! I have to agree analogs taste just plain nasty! I appreciate your encouragement and will be looking for you in the threads!

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello Joel and welcome to VU :wave:Good in depth stroy.
Just coil building to go to make you the complete package;)

IDJoel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello Joel and welcome to VU :wave:Good in depth stroy.
Just coil building to go to make you the complete package;)
Hi back atcha gingerbread! Actually I do build basic coils.

Two things about me I didn't put into my introductory post are that I am cheap and lazy. :giggle: I'm too dang cheap to be paying $2.50 and up for commercial coil heads so very early on I learned how to rebuild my Viva Nova heads and haven't bought anything but wick and wire since. But I am also lazy. So unless there is substantial return on effort, I don't do ANY more than I have to. So my builds a simple and pretty basic. The fanciest I make are basic claptons and I buy the clapton wire pre-wrapped on a spool. That way I just wind it like a basic coil.

I have also played a little bit with temperature control. But for the most part that is way down on my to-do list.

Lazy is also why I prefer tanks. I have a few drippers that I use primarily for taste testing my DIY mixes but it is my tanks that are my day in/day out go-to's. Keep it filled, change the wicks and dry-burn the coils once every week and a half or so, and replace coils only as absolutely necessary (every 6-ish weeks?), and I'm a happy camper.

I tend to be kinda OCD about my interests. I obsess for a while, and then "SQUIRREL!"... and I am fixated on something else. First it was tanks, then it was mods, then it was tanks again, mods again, coils, coil wire, temp control, tanks some more, and then I realized I was spend more than I did smoking! :xD: That was the end of trying to keep up with the latest and greatest... mostly. :cuss2:

Trying to redeem some of the savings I was "supposed" to be reaping from vaping I found my latest obsession; DIY. Now, I have hundreds of recipes (I have actually tried 80 or better), just broke 200 flavors in my collection (damn 4th of July sales :cry:), and laid up a 4 year supply of nicotine (FU FDA! :finger:). After more than a year that I have stuck with the DIY; it has become more enduring than most.

Vaping is definitely a journey! The fun is always where tomorrow may take you! :bliss:

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi back atcha gingerbread! Actually I do build basic coils.

Two things about me I didn't put into my introductory post are that I am cheap and lazy. :giggle: I'm too dang cheap to be paying $2.50 and up for commercial coil heads so very early on I learned how to rebuild my Viva Nova heads and haven't bought anything but wick and wire since. But I am also lazy. So unless there is substantial return on effort, I don't do ANY more than I have to. So my builds a simple and pretty basic. The fanciest I make are basic claptons and I buy the clapton wire pre-wrapped on a spool. That way I just wind it like a basic coil.

I have also played a little bit with temperature control. But for the most part that is way down on my to-do list.

Lazy is also why I prefer tanks. I have a few drippers that I use primarily for taste testing my DIY mixes but it is my tanks that are my day in/day out go-to's. Keep it filled, change the wicks and dry-burn the coils once every week and a half or so, and replace coils only as absolutely necessary (every 6-ish weeks?), and I'm a happy camper.

I tend to be kinda OCD about my interests. I obsess for a while, and then "SQUIRREL!"... and I am fixated on something else. First it was tanks, then it was mods, then it was tanks again, mods again, coils, coil wire, temp control, tanks some more, and then I realized I was spend more than I did smoking! :xD: That was the end of trying to keep up with the latest and greatest... mostly. :cuss2:

Trying to redeem some of the savings I was "supposed" to be reaping from vaping I found my latest obsession; DIY. Now, I have hundreds of recipes (I have actually tried 80 or better), just broke 200 flavors in my collection (damn 4th of July sales :cry:), and laid up a 4 year supply of nicotine (FU FDA! :finger:). After more than a year that I have stuck with the DIY; it has become more enduring than most.

Vaping is definitely a journey! The fun is always where tomorrow may take you! :bliss:
OCD, lazy & cheap all in one person,lol. Well that's a first for me. But you did address something that l have been thinking of for sometime trial of diy juice. I only have tanks but it has occurred to me that if you need to sample your diy juice then you will have to drip. Yes/No?

IDJoel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OCD, lazy & cheap all in one person,lol. Well that's a first for me. But you did address something that l have been thinking of for sometime trial of diy juice. I only have tanks but it has occurred to me that if you need to sample your diy juice then you will have to drip. Yes/No?
You're absolutely correct. The answer is yes AND no. Using a dripper can make taste testing your mixes faster/more convenient. But it will also add additional variables that might effect the way your mix tastes. It will work best/closest if you have the same builds in both tank and dripper. But you are still going to have some minor (or not so minor) differences caused by differing chamber sizes, air flow, and such. But it gets close enough for me.

Depending on the tank (and your patience) you can drip directly on to the wicked coils of your tank's build desk and then use either the chimney or glass sleeve as a kinda/sorta drip tip. However; any alterations can again effect the taste.

I hope that helps and doesn't confuse. ;)

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You're absolutely correct. The answer is yes AND no. Using a dripper can make taste testing your mixes faster/more convenient. But it will also add additional variables that might effect the way your mix tastes. It will work best/closest if you have the same builds in both tank and dripper. But you are still going to have some minor (or not so minor) differences caused by differing chamber sizes, air flow, and such. But it gets close enough for me.

Depending on the tank (and your patience) you can drip directly on to the wicked coils of your tank's build desk and then use either the chimney or glass sleeve as a kinda/sorta drip tip. However; any alterations can again effect the taste.

I hope that helps and doesn't confuse. ;)
It helped thank you.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

VapinChevy

Abnormal Chevy Guy
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reviewer
Hello to everyone!
I am 53 years old and smoked a pack and a half of cigarettes a day for 32 years. I have tried to quit multiple times using different methods including cessation classes, gum, patches, cold turkey, smokeless products, prescriptions, even first generation e-cigarettes. I had some short-term success but nothing lasted.

Three and a half years ago, after bowling league, a young gentleman sat down beside me, and set modular tank and battery advanced personal vaporizer (an APV mod) down on the table between us. I recognized it as a newer version of the little cigarette sized/styled e-cigarette I had tried about 2 years prior. We began to talk.

I asked if that was indeed an APV and he answered that it was. I asked how it was working for him and he said he had be cigarette free for over a year. I replied that I was happy for him, but my own attempt at quitting using the little first generation e-cigs failed. He asked why and I explained that I could literally make myself nauseous with nicotine, using of various nicotine replacements, but nothing would satisfy the craving of "feeling" the smoke in my lungs.

He told me about the new equipment, like he was using, had the ability to create much more, and denser, vapor production. In addition, some designs had also added the ability to adjust power to the coils, allowing the user to tune the vapor output to what was needed at the moment.

He had some spare drip tips with him and he offered to let me try his to see how much of a difference there was between what he was using and what I had previously used. I eagerly jumped at the chance.

My previous vaping experience had been only marginally successful. The "vape pen" did indeed provide nicotine (I actually got dizzy a couple of times until I found the correct nicotine strength cartridge), and it would produce a visible cloud of vapor, but it was unable to give me the feeling in my lungs that I craved when not smoking.

When I tried the young man's that night in the bowling alley; I actually coughed like a first-time smoker! He grinned at me and made an adjustment on the machine and let me try again. It was much better but still a little coughing. Another adjustment. Now I could draw in the vapor without coughing and have the sensation in my lungs that no other replacement had been able to provide. I was excited!

I was concerned about the cost. My previous attempt at vaping cost me about $130 in hardware and the replacement cartridges were about half the cost of a pack of cigarettes for five cartridges. Cheaper than smoking but still a significant start-up cost. Now, two years later, here was a much more advanced device and I shuddered to think what the price tag was going to be. He told me he bought it at a local vape shop and paid about $80 for everything. I was stunned!

He explained that with the improved technology more adults were switching to them, more businesses were seeing that there was real market potential and therefore more competition, which helped to lower the price making it even more attractive to the consumer. We talked a while longer about use, and maintenance, and I finally left.

A week and a half later, on December 28, 2012, I walked into that same vapor shop and purchased my first APV. I bought it with the hope/expectation that it would at least reduce the amount of cigarettes I would smoke. If I was really fortunate I might be able to quit some day down the road.

This was not like previous attempts to quit where I was "determined" and tossed all my cigarettes and ashtrays. When I got home, I had 12 cigarettes left in the last pack of cigarettes I owned. I tossed them in my nightstand and placed the ashtrays on top of the fridge. Like I said; I was simply trying to cut back.

Jump ahead two years to January 1,2015. Vaping has been so effective for me that I moved the ashtrays out to the garage (saving them only for the occasional visitor that smokes) and I threw out that very same partial pack of cigarettes from my nightstand. It still had 8 VERY stale cigarettes in it.

Today I consider myself an ex-smoker. I believe that I will never go back to smoking. I no longer think about cigarettes. I can be around smokers and it does not tempt me or even smell good. About once a year I will take a drag from a friend's cigarette, just to see if I am missing anything, and it tastes horrible. It makes me feel horrible. I can't figure out how on earth I ever smoked in the first place.
Hello @IDJoel & Welcome to VU. I admire your incredible journey & Thank you for sharing it :cool: It warms my heart to see another successful journey to a smoke-free/healthier life!

TiltedVape

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Hello and Welcome! I am new to the community too. Excited to meet new people like you! Hope all is well!

IDJoel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello @IDJoel & Welcome to VU. I admire your incredible journey & Thank you for sharing it :cool: It warms my heart to see another successful journey to a smoke-free/healthier life!
Thanks for such a warm welcome VapinChevy! I appreciate you taking a few moments out of your day to stop and say howdy! :cheers:

IDJoel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello and Welcome! I am new to the community too. Excited to meet new people like you! Hope all is well!
Hi back at ya!
I have been part of another forum for more than a year. I have found the information to be incredibly helpful to my vaping journey. I have recently joined the V/U community to expand my resource base and get additional points of view.
Glad to See you took the plunge too! It's always nice to meet someone with a shared interest. Let me know if I can ever be of help.
And a warm welcome to you as well!! :cheers:

VU Sponsors